Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: F53 Chassis Lean
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> F53 Chassis Lean

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through this with Ford before they told me the coach builder did it not them. Went they got the chassis they knew what specs were if they went out side of them they needed to correct the problem.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you made any measurements yourself? Is it the chassis leaning or the box sitting on the frame? That would pretty much point the finger at the responsible party. Another question for you, why would you take delivery of it in the first place if it was leaning so badly the steps jammed into the ground? Is this something that started after you bought it or was it that bad to start with?

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

blknomad

ferrum va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it to a truck spring shop and let them put a spacer in and be done with it.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spring shop may add a extra leaf spring I don't think a good shop would add any kind of spacer'

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check the ride height front to back and side to side that will tell you if there is something wrong with the chassis suspension. Just measure the distance from the top of the rubber bumper to the frame. Make sure the ground is perfectly level like in a Walmart parking lot your driveway may be pitched like mine to allow rain to run off. If your ride height looks good, then measure the bottom of the door panels front to back and side to side. This will tell you where your problem is. What were your 4 corner weights? Were they higher on the curb side? Let us know what you find and you will get better help.

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

Spring shop may add a extra leaf spring I don't think a good shop would add any kind of spacer'
It is a very common fix. The shop that put in my spacers to fix a lean said they do it all the time. Reputable large truck place. Had mine done several years ago, very pleased to this date. No need to add a spring.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spacers on Ford Chassis are a common fix. But, the fix is on the Coach builder. Tiffin sends out the spacers to the Spring shop on their Ford Chassis. You need to escalate at Jayco Motorized to get them on board. They will fix the problem once all the correct procedures have been followed. The RV DEALER is a must to be involved in the fix. Doug

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back from a specially spring shop Quote no good shop would in spaces because they cause weak spots after a while.... They would put in heaver coils and add extra leafs to match the front so not to affect the steering much and alignment could be done properly. He went into a lot with me but to scientific for me but that was in general and I believe him being in the trade for 40 plus year and 2 generation.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

Just got back from a specially spring shop Quote no good shop would in spaces because they cause weak spots after a while.... They would put in heaver coils and add extra leafs to match the front so not to affect the steering much and alignment could be done properly. He went into a lot with me but to scientific for me but that was in general and I believe him being in the trade for 40 plus year and 2 generation.

Spacers are done all the time in the RV Class A Ford chassis. What he wants to do is OK, IF YOU WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY. But, it is not needed. Doug

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again spacers are ok for doing alignment. I seen that but for taken a heavy side to be level I still can't be leave it . Sorry worked in a tool room 35 years with all types of steel we went through training and you needed to shim something it woulds be the whole piece or nothing. Just because a company does it a cheep way does it make it right ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> F53 Chassis Lean
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS