Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1st time boondocking and could not get our AC to work
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 1st time boondocking and could not get our AC to work

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

...Make sure your refrigerator is set to gas and not AUTO

Set water heater to gas.

Turn off ECO mode on the generator.

In addition to above - Start the generator and let it stabilize BEFORE you plugin the TT cord.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.ebay.com/usr/applianceandair?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I had the same problem your having and have a 3500 champion inverter gen. I finally bought one of the above and now its starts fine. get the starter and the capacitor. all that soft start kit does Is what your doing by starting the fan then a few seconds it starts the compressor.
im think the onboard charger is a problem if its on they can be disabled at the breaker panel?
Jay D.

aguablanco

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Above 5000' my Champion, which is carbureted, has issues. Called Champion and they sent me a new jet that is needed for use at altitude. Installed it this year and no problems so far even at 7000'.
RichH

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i believe your issue may be running your electricity thru an extension cord rather than a heavier 30/50 amp power cord

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with smarty. The 30A extension cord between the generator and the shore line could be adding to your issue. Try the AC at home with and without the extension cord to see if it makes a difference. BTW, stretch out the extension cord as you had while camping. I also have one of these plugged into a convenient outlet in the RV to be able to see what is available from the shore line.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4058-Power-Monitor/dp/B000BRFTH6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=rv+120v+electric+meter&qid=1564586020&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I run a 50 ft 30A rated extension cord when plugged in at home. When the house outlet provides 120V, I see 110V within the RV when it is cool out. I see 108V when its hot out. The AC pulls the voltage down to 105V when running.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, if your running the generator early before turning the air on, start the Gen just a little earlier to allow your battery charger to top off your batteries so that when you start the air, the draw from the battery charger won't be as great. Plus the added benefit of having charged batteries. Did someone mention this already?

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THere is a device. called both a Hard Start kit and a soft start kit.

IT is installed in the Air Conditioner Upper unit.. about 25-50 dollars

May do the trick.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

melloftus

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0UhCo-vKh6GMC4LClrwSEKTRw

Hi All,
Thank you so much for all your replies! Ok so I posted a link above to show you all what I am working with.. I hope it works as I tried to follow some of the directions and my laptop keeps flagging the links as "naughty sites" shhssh I am at work [emoticon])
1 Picture is of said "extension cord" just wanted to clarify its not a regular extension cord but one for 30 Amp- I will say we had issues with the A/C kicking on just connected from the TT to to the Genny
2- The orange dial is the battery on off switch- I think some people mentioned trying to start the AC with it off cause maybe it was trying to charge my batteries as well?
3 - I took a picture of the controls I have for water pump/hot water heater and fridge/ AC. From what I know about our TT- Hot water is 100% propane- even when we camped with 100% hook up we still had to flip the switch to get the hot water heater to turn on.. The fridge I wanna say I am fairly certain I had it on propane and not auto.. man I read and re read that manual before we left.. even had my husband read it..from what I gathered if the light next to the Auto was lite it would chose its preferred power - I had this off..
Someone mentioned not having the A/C fan on auto.. I actually took a pick when we were camping- I had it set to cool low.. kid kindof worked till I touched the thermostat
Last I have added pictures of my convertor/fuse box.. someone mentioned cutting the breakers off.. all but the A/C? Looks like I have MAIN - A/C - Gen purpose - gen purpose - microwave
when we tried to run this up on the hill I had all lights off,but the battery switch on...
I am going to try some combos of things this weekend..
boy I hope you all can see the pics on my link

melloftus

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aguablanco wrote:

Above 5000' my Champion, which is carbureted, has issues. Called Champion and they sent me a new jet that is needed for use at altitude. Installed it this year and no problems so far even at 7000'.
RichH

Yes I am in CA so this maybe something I may have to do as everything sold has to be CARB

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a CARB issue, but rather it's an air fuel ratio issue and will affect all engines.

Our vehicles have sensors and computers to adjust for changes in altitude, a simple carburetor does not. Your carburetor was jetted at the factory to mix air and fuel in a certain ratio to run at sea level. As you go up in altitude the air is thinner and therefore the ratio gets out of whack (too much fuel not enough air) and robs the engine of power. Running the engine this way doesn't necessarily damage it, but it will have less power.

By removing the sea level jet and replacing it with the appropriate high altitude jet you bring the ratio back into balance and restore the power.

On the flip side, when you come back down to sea level the mixture will be too lean (too much air not enough fuel). Running lean is very bad, especially in an air cooled engine like a generator. You need to swap the jet out with the sea level jet or you will burn up the engine.

If I could only ever run one jet in my generator it would be the sea level jet as installed by the factory. I can deal with diminished power in the rare times I'm at altitude. But I don't ever want to take a chance on putting a high altitude jet in and then forgetting about it and running the generator back at sea level.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 1st time boondocking and could not get our AC to work
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS