cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do if you have a leak?

dhaas
Explorer
Explorer
While driving home from storage with the truck camper, my son noticed water leaking from the seams of the siding under the bed. I was unaware of any lekas prior to this. Aside from the obvious of fixing potential leak points (to which there are many on this camper, as the camper has not had any maintenance done that i can tell since new in 07) what else should I do? This is the first evidence of any leaking, and the camper was/is in really great shape when I bought it a year ago from the original owner.

I will re-caulk and seal everything on this camper, but should I strip the siding off and let it dry out? Would a dehumidifier inside be enough? Its hot here now, would just leaving windows open for a while be sufficient?

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
First, Go to harbor freight and get this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=moisture%20meter

Second, open up a baggage door (that communicates with the camper's interior) and cut to fit a cardboard insert with a cutout in the center and duct tape into place...Position a powerful leaf blower (or two) on a ladder and insert nozzle through cutout opening...

Third, duct tape closed sink drains and basement heating duct and air return where applicable...Make sure all vents and windows are tightly closed...

Next, Start leaf blower to pressurize camper’s interior and using a spray bottle mixture of soapy water, spray all seams and look for bubbles...

Note: While at it, check tail lights and jack mounts and all appurtenances..

This method is usually successful but may be a bit problematic where roof insulation is comprised of ‘tightly fitting’ styrofoam blocks - in this scenario it ‘may’ be difficult for the pressure to communicate through the blocking to certain roof seams.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^That looks like some pretty ridiculously good sealant actually.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this will sound ridiculous but, you should consider some Aircraft Fuel Tank sealant by DeSoto. I like PR1422. You must consider the work time of the product, some of it only have about 15 minutes of work time.
I have used it on my campers. It is flexible, it won’t come loose, and it will Never leak in that seam again.
Good Luck and Happy Travels.
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
you can actually do a leak set your self take the top off he roof vent and seal a fan on top then spray the entire camper with a solution of water and dish soap where ever it bubbles there is a leak camping world charged me $250 for a seal test and put chalk marks every where there needed to be new calk. what ever your exterior is it needs to be removed and dried out. I had a forest river product years and years out of warranty, went to the factory in Michigan they did all the repairs plus some they found. When I asked for the bill the reply was when you ever buy a new camper just consider Forest River. I know Michigan is a long way, if it has filon on it that is a job you might need help with. if aluminum you are gold you can remove it dry out everything and put it back together. GOOD LUCK
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Stop guessing - get a Sealtech test done.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Water leaks into the overhead sometimes usually thru the clearance lights but it's easy to see where it's getting in. Where the caulking is cracked or lights is the most likely.

I had water dripping out of the seam along the bottom edge of the overhead. Realized there was a little water inside. Drilled a couple small holes underneath next to the seam. Some water came out. Sealed the clearance lights up, didn't leak out anymore.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Clearance lights are a big leaker it seems like. I replaced mine with sealed LED's and bedded them in Dicor

I agree. It seems the clearance lights are most of the leaks. Strange considering how small they are, but I guess the instructions given by the foremen aren’t very easy to follow ... joking.

If there is a seam that isn’t dicor or eternabond, that’s a great source for a leak.

Post the make/model and a picture of it if possible. You might get some brand/model specific advice.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

dhaas
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the info so far. I started pulling some screws under the bunk (which yes, is where my son noted water coming out), and one or two had just the least little bit of rust around a few threads.

Im guessing, after crawling around this thing a bit more, that the leaks are coming from the seam where the rubber meets the aluminum over the bunk area, and possibly the windows. Im planning on removing the front siding, its just hard to do with a recent shoulder surgery. Hoping to tackle that in the coming days.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my experience. Nothing noted as obvious rot until panels were pulled off. See the picture of the rusted screw to determine if water is present. If you wait for moldy walls and soft floors, it will probably be too late.

My 2007 repair

Good luck,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
EricCO wrote:
Also check your interior plumbing. You could have a fitting or a pipe cracked that is the source of the water.

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP where he states: "my son noticed water leaking from the seams of the siding under the bed" I was thinking the leak in in the over head bunk BED. I do not anticipate there being plumbing up there 😉

OP- please clarify location where evidence of water was observed. Provide more information, pictures would help and fill in the make, model, etc.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

EricCO
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check your interior plumbing. You could have a fitting or a pipe cracked that is the source of the water.

A heat gun and plastic chisels make quick work of the old caulking.
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Clearance lights are a big leaker it seems like. I replaced mine with sealed LED's and bedded them in Dicor
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would pull the screws on that under seam, odds are water has pooled in there from clearance lights or window seams. I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of water come out of there.

If it does drain, you'll need to unseal the siding and peal it back to let it dry out and then treat the wood if its still intact, once its fully dry.

I would plan on needing to re-bed the clearance lights, and recaulk them, along with all the gutters, corner moldings, windows, vents, etc.. etc....

With your standard RV, you usually need to recaulk them every two years.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
New in 2007 and no maintenance. 12 years. “And now I gots an issue.” Interesting. You checked all the “wholes?”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad