cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle Size Issues at Border Crossings

afaryna
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if there is a source of good information regarding any size issues at border crossings.

For example, Algadones when returning to the USA, there is a sharp right turn entering the custom's area that make entry with a large 5th wheel or motorhome not possible.

Took my 5th wheel through San Luis crossing last year and while going in was tight, the return trip also had very tight turns made it very difficult and I still went over a curb. Would not even consider this now that I have a 42' motorhome with a toad.

Planning next seasons adventure and any info would be great.
13 REPLIES 13

Talleyho69
Great input, especially about the sides. They are narrow, and if you don't go SLOW you will rock and potentially leave paint on their poles.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
bilmarde wrote:
Does anyone worry about height of the lanes at Lukeville. Last time I went thru I was in a car I noticed that my camper is taller than the lane. I'm going thru into the US in March and would like some feedback. Thanks

The Lukeville height signs are wrong. I've seen all sizes of RV's go through and don't see any scratches on the overhead.

The sides are a different story, there are lots of scratches on those poles. Go slow, very slow to avoid rocking. Remember, no one cares how slow you go or how long it takes. If you damage your RV it's not because you were rushed through by anyone.

If your mirrors are spread out more than 9 or 10 feet you need to have the tools to bring them in.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
Nope. We were a tall Class A and never concerned ourselves. We always used Lukeville to leave Mexico.

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone worry about height of the lanes at Lukeville. Last time I went thru I was in a car I noticed that my camper is taller than the lane. I'm going thru into the US in March and would like some feedback. Thanks
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I did have an issue at Lukeville several years back because I was directed into the extreme right hand lane. The last couple of years it has been a straight or nearly straight line through with no issues.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Talleyho69
Sounds like the solution. Smile, politely ask for what you want and get it!!!

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
When I have caravans I ask them to remove the road blocks and they do. Solving the problem.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
Exiting Lukeville into the USA is a very tight turn for large campers. I can make it through but I am patient and take my time. I have friends that have done quite a bit of damage to their coaches there. A couple of months ago a friend with a 45' 5th wheel followed us and was unable to make the turn. CBP moved some barriers and allowed him to bypass that turn. If you go through secondary inspection it is even more difficult. Once again, patience is your friend, no one cares how long it takes you but they will think you are crazy to rush and do damage.

Everyone has to go through the secondary inspection lane, itโ€™s like a snake turn, right then hard left.....totally dumb.
Iโ€™m assuming they did that for a reason, like no quick entrance to the USA for a border runner?

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Exiting Lukeville into the USA is a very tight turn for large campers. I can make it through but I am patient and take my time. I have friends that have done quite a bit of damage to their coaches there. A couple of months ago a friend with a 45' 5th wheel followed us and was unable to make the turn. CBP moved some barriers and allowed him to bypass that turn. If you go through secondary inspection it is even more difficult. Once again, patience is your friend, no one cares how long it takes you but they will think you are crazy to rush and do damage.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
We found it to be an easy run to join Hwy 15 from Sonoyta/Lukeville at Santa Ana. The toll road is quite new, wide and easy.

However, if you are going to Puerto Penasco, we have no experience with it.

Hopefully Tequila will share his information.

rmev
Explorer
Explorer
I have come through Algadones with a 40 foot MH with Toad. It is tight but can be done without hitting anything. Now the rest of the story. The road south from Algadones is very narrow and not well marked well.

Talleyho69
The entry at Sonoyta/Lukeville is a straight shot. The exit is not, but we never had any issues although some have. Caravans regularly exit there so it is not too tough. It's also a great place to cross back into the US, with no lines or waiting except on Sunday afternoons.

Nogales truck entry must have a second lane for long things. Last June, in an SUV pulling an 8 foot cargo trailer, it was difficult to make the turns on the US side.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We learned years ago that the best crossings into Mainland Mexico for those of us from the western part of Canada and the US are along the Arizona section of the Border .
We usually go South through Nogales and North through either Nogales or Sonoyta/ Lukeville.
We use the Mariposa Truck Lane at Nogales which is pretty much a straight line with only a gentle sweep left then right as you pass the American Inspection point.

For return Nogales can be congested so Lukeville is our preference!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD