cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC air smells acrid

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
Is there something nontoxic you can spray on your AC filter "sponge" to make the air smell better?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7 REPLIES 7

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The atmospheric formaldehyde concentrate in all-new plastic RV's is an absolute danger not merely a hazard.

A strong reason Quicksilver was built from salvaged teak. I am convinced beyond the shadow of any doubt formaldehyde and a strong bacteria has killed many RV'ers.

The solution is to air-out new RV's. Bring interior temp up to 85F then air it out. Five times over a period of one month. 24/7 ventilation during hot summers.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Very few strains of bacteria or other pathogens can live in pure vanilla. The real stuff -- not based on crude oil.

Dilute genuine vanilla diluted ten-to-one. Spray on the media after cleaning. I used to spray a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite as a rinse after cleaning. Legionnaire's Disease is way more common then you'd think. It kills dozens of elderly RV'ers without being recognized.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
When I hear the term acrid, I think electrical.
Any big box home center and most hardware stores will carry aerosol air duct freshener or deodorizer if the problem is in the ducts.
-- Chris Bryant

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The A/C coils on the roof need a good cleaning, and then your A/C should cool better afterward too.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
A little Fabreeze up there will hep too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving your fan on all the time instead of auto helps too by drying out the coils when compressor is off.

Put some towels on the floor too.

If your coils are like mine were, cleaning makes it cool like new.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Reality-- NO.

Particularly in hot, HUMID conditions, the EVAPORATOR is likely a mold farm.

Only real answer is to clean the evaporator. Any box store has evaporator cleaner.

Only serviced from the roof. Take old rags/towels up to plug the opening to the coach to keep cleaner and water out of the coach.

Basically, an annual servicing in humid climates. "Cures" the wet dog smell when you turn on the A/C.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/