cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sway bar question

KNDB
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2020 Freedom Express Ultralite trailer--weight is 4800 lbs. We are towing this with a 2019 Ford F-150 with the heavy duty towing package with sway control. We have the weight distribution hitch. Do we need sway control bars as well? The towing package states is comes with an anti-sway system. Has anyone had "real-life experience" with this system? Thanks for your help.
9 REPLIES 9

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This was ME coming into East Wenatchee just a couple of weeks ago.. Steel shelf popped out of the truck in front of me after making a pass..

There was a box truck in the right lane too, but I checked my mirrors and was clear just before I swerved into the right lane.. All good, I don't think anyone behind me hit the steel shelf as I saw the car behind me swerve too..

No sway and just kept going.. Seemed to happen in slow motion too..

https://youtu.be/n0EVPUxxMaA

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above. All I can add is if anyone isn't convinced, watch some youtube vids on overturned TTs.
Don't skimp on important safety stuff.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
KNDB wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. We are going to add a friction swaybar to the system.

Just remember. A sway control bar is not a anti sway. It does not prevent sway. You should have no sway with out it. It is there to help control sway once it has been induced either by a sudden jerk of the steering wheel, like dodging a accident, or deer. or by a flat tire, or sudden wind.

If the TT sways in normal driving with out the bar. The hitch should be adjusted to a 0 sway point, and then sway control added.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

KNDB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. We are going to add a friction swaybar to the system.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
yes, you want at least a friction sway bar. cheap and easy
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the Freedom Express manufacturer's website the 4,800 lbs will be unloaded weight and gross will be 7,000 or more. You'll be close enough to the max towing capability of your F-150 to want sway control in the hitch. Which hitch do you have? If no sway control in it, do get the anti-sway bar. You will have about 1,000 lbs on the hitch of the truck.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Ford "built in sway control" is for the worst case sway situation, like you are see-sawing the steering wheel and out of control.. I have it on my F150, but it has never kicked in thankfully!

It's not a substitute for a mechanical sway control built into the WD hitch setup.

That being said, when you say you have a #4800 TT, is that loaded up going down the road or what the "dry weight" says?

Don't really know what you mean by "heavy duty tow package"? Ford has a regular tow package, a max tow package and a heavy duty payload package.

Other factors in controlling sway is hitch setup, loading and proper tongue weight.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My Tahoe has sway control and I use sway control bars. So, yes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hi KNDB welcome to the forum. You'll get various responses to your question here with some saying no sway control and some saying yes to sway control. By and large though the majority will say yes to sway control even with the Anti sway feature of the Ford. The theory is that the add on sway control dampens and stops sway before it happens. While the Ford system only comes into play after the sway has started. My personal opinion it add the sway control. If for some unfortunate reason you wind up with sway; then the Ford system will hopefully come into play and stop it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup