cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000 not drawing gas from aux fuel tank

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the classic aux tank setup with Honda 2000 attached to a 6 gallon marine fuel tank using marine fittings. This has worked perfectly for two years. Going off its own tank, the Honda runs like butter. This week, however, the Honda just isn't taking up fuel from the aux tank. I've checked everything I can think of. I'm camped at 5200 ft if that might have anything to do with it. Usually I'm at sea level.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8 REPLIES 8

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
I found the problem, thanks to you guys. Missing an O-ring at thr aux tank fitting.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Could be you need to trade it on a Champion.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
Could also be leftover high volatility winter gas at high temp and high altitude.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
good news is the honda sips gas even at full throttle. Bad news is it sips gas, so even a extremely small vacuum leak will keep it from pulling from an aux tank.

There are two possible causes. First did you open the vent on the aux tank? If not that's the likely problem.

If not, a vacuum leak.

Every time I or others I know have had trouble it was a vacuum leak or forgetting to open the vent on the aux tank. And searching for one is pretty much a lost cause. Not drawing fuel is the symptom and for us it was solved by checking the lines for tight connections, and most often a leak on the gas cap. Some aftermarket kit caps are much worse than others for not sealing well.

Altitude shouldn't be an issue. I've run ours at 7000+ft no problems.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BlueBoy
Explorer
Explorer
How do you search for an air leak? Must be really small.
BlueBoy

Arctic Fox 29-5E (a.k.a. "Escape Pod")
F-350 6.0L PSD 4x4 SRW Crew Cab

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Air leak.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
When filling the Honda tank, those wonderful no vent gas cans that press against the tank opening can damage the surface allowing air to leak in. Check that the gas cap has a perfect sealing surface.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Damdifino wrote:
I've got the classic aux tank setup with Honda 2000 attached to a 6 gallon marine fuel tank using marine fittings. This has worked perfectly for two years. Going off its own tank, the Honda runs like butter. This week, however, the Honda just isn't taking up fuel from the aux tank. I've checked everything I can think of. I'm camped at 5200 ft if that might have anything to do with it. Usually I'm at sea level.

Well you have some experience using this, so from my experiences with nearly the same setup, are the Honda and the tank about level? I try not to have my gas tank much lower than my Honda. Those fuel pumps can't be very strong, so I try to not make it work too hard. Also, make sure you have no air leaks. Not even a tiny one, they will not work then. As far as altitude, I live at 5500' so like I said, nearly the same setup.

Oh yeah, is the marine tank vent open? Just checking.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L