Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dually Mud Flaps Required?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dually Mud Flaps Required?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas requires mud flaps on duallies. I’ve bought trucks there and the dealer had to make sure they were installed before I could take delivery.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GTO66 wrote:

No its gravel between the tires. Happens mostly without the TC. When I have to park in the over flow at the boat ramp, Plenty of loose gravel have spoke to others with DRW who have said the same.

You might be driving on some size of bedding rock. But gravel is normally smaller than inch and half. And that size rock, you should not sink deep enough to wedge between the tires. If the sidewalls are that close together you might have a issue of heat transferring tire to tire...

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what type rock it is. I just know I've had it stuck between the tires so to the original poster my thoughts are flaps are a good idea. I use a TPMS system and monitor my tires closely. The 2003 GM DRW are closer then others.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have a suggestion for some no drill ones for the rear wheels? My F450 came with front ones that were easy enough to install. Now I wonder why they didn't come with rears.

I live on a gravel road, so probably a good idea! I see some that don't look very long. How important is the length. I would assume longer would be better.

* This post was edited 07/01/19 12:40pm by SoonDockin *

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonDockin wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion for some no drill ones for the rear wheels? My F450 came with front ones that were easy enough to install. Now I wonder why they didn't come with rears.

Why no drill? Get one of the old hand crank egg beater style drills with a small bit. Very easy to start a whole without walking.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's a DOT requirement for commercial trucks. I also think I read they have to be within 8" of the ground, which I don't think mine are. I assume the dealer puts them on to satisfy DOT.
I had battery acid drip on mine (long story) and messed up the aluminum dealer advertisement on it. While at the dealer for maintenance I asked the parts guy " how much for replacement mud flaps?" FREE if you don't mind our billboard on them.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

20,000 miles and the paint is still perfect.
My combo don't go off-road and even I have some miles driven on gravel, the RWD original fenders seem to cover the rear pretty good.

What is an RWD fender?

Even paved roads have sand/gravel that can (and will) get kicked up, so I'd be beyond surprised if your paint was "perfect" after 20000 miles as you claim.

Bob

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Who cares...
OP could just read the motor vehicle regs for his state, or not, or choose to put mud flaps on to save his paint and the guys' windshield behind him, or not.
These are the type of life altering decisions that makes rvnet sooo fun!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A young man was killed near Madison, Wisconsin by a rock, (not gravel) that was thrown up by duallys on a pickup. the rock went through his windshield and killed him on impact. It is very self centered thinking to only care about how your truck looks and not worry about killing someone.
By the way, this was caught on a dash camera of another vehicle.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been driving dually pick-ups in VA, WV and about 20 other states for the last 14 years. I've never had mud flaps. I never even considered it. My truck's have always passed the yearly vehicle inspection so it must not be required here. I rarely ever see a dually with them.
I go off road frequently and likely the mud flaps would get ripped off every couple of weeks anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dually Mud Flaps Required?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS