Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia “must do” advice sought

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-
We have 4 days near Yosemite and 4 near Sequoia/Kings from 6/29-7/7.

Just looking for “must do/see” things in and around those areas.

Also, if we want to visit the Pacific, which would you suggest traveling from to do that? Also, where would you suggest staying for a night near the ocean?

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
17 REPLIES 17

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
bigjimcruising wrote:
Once you're done in the parks I'd head north to Lodi and cut across 12 (get gass)towards Fairfield. A little south and head up to Napa Valley for a day or two of wine tasting. Hotels are pricey but worth it. Drive up and down the valley wine tasting and seeing the sights.
try Napa Valley Expo or Skyline Park, in Napa. Or the Napa Fairgrounds in Calistoga.

From there I'd cut over towards Petaluma where you can pick up hwy 1 to head north along the coast. I think its even nicer than south of San Francisco and less traffic, if that's possible this time of year. lol
Acually, you access 101N in Petaluma, not Highway 1. you don't want to drive Highway 1 from SF north, unless you have a LOT of time.

Just know that every where in cali during the summer is crazy busy with most of the parks being "loved to death" so just relax and go with the flow, you'll get there eventually.

grew up in the Sonoma County area and lived in Napa Valley. Definitely consider reservations if staying popular California destinations. Coastal beach campgrounds are booked up at least 6 months in advance and even off-season.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bigjimcruising
Explorer
Explorer
Once you're done in the parks I'd head north to Lodi and cut across 12 (get gass)towards Fairfield. A little south and head up to Napa Valley for a day or two of wine tasting. Hotels are pricey but worth it. Drive up and down the valley wine tasting and seeing the sights.

From there I'd cut over towards Petaluma where you can pick up hwy 1 to head north along the coast. I think its even nicer than south of San Francisco and less traffic, if that's possible this time of year. lol

Just know that every where in cali during the summer is crazy busy with most of the parks being "loved to death" so just relax and go with the flow, you'll get there eventually.

And this doesn't look so good to you, you can always go the other way and head over to Death Valley. Pretty amazing things to do and see, but it will be hot!! Go to the lowest point in the US then head north to Scotty's Castile and take the tour.

Happy travels!
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Climbing Half Dome is now a big production requiring a permit and long lines. I climbed it in 1974 and there was no one up there.
It is over 5,000 vertical feet from the Valley floor to the top of HD. It is not for the faint of heart.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the way, this was a big year for water -- Tokopah Falls must be quite a sight right now! This is what it looked like in July of 2010, which I think was also a fairly wet year:

Click For Full-Size Image.

(And yes, that is DW being a good sport and getting soaking wet for the sake of a photo.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if you are feeling adventurous and energetic, the hike from Wolverton to Heather Lake is great. Four miles each way, with a 2000 foot elevation gain.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
At Sequoia, in addition to Congress Grove (of course), I'd also recommend Tokopah Falls (a two mile hike each way). Muir Grove is also a great hike -- about three miles each way.
About our trailer

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are inside these national parks, there's nothing much to see for a day trip until you travel to the coasts, LA or San Francisco.

And in Yosemite, if you are outside, you pretty much spend much of the day traveling in and out of the park and its popular destinations. If you are self-driving, be careful with those speed limits, the rangers are deadly serious about compliance and won't hesitate to give you the ticket.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Without a camper you've got more options, especially in Sequoia. I'd do a drive up to Mineral King. This is where I grew up (tent) camping for the most part. The drive pretty much stinks, narrow road and lots of turns, but it's worth it once you get up there. Really beautiful. You cannot get there with a trailer so I'd take advantage. There is a resort nearby called Silver City that has a restaurant.

Since you're staying in Three Rivers, be sure to get some ice cream at Reimer's Candies 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
I also probably should have mentioned where we’re staying.

For Yosemite we’ll be at Cedar Lodge, El Portal.
For Sequoia/Kong’s Canyon , Comfort Inn in Three Rivers.

Looking for suggestions on day trips too. You guys are awesome!
Jerry

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite valley will be packed. Tuolomne meadows or hetch hetchy are good alternatives for hiking. Sequoia you have to go to Moro rock and see the trees. As others said, it is a good drive to the coast. I would recommend moonstone beach. Nice little motels overlooking the oceans. Wonderful sunsets. Close to Hearst castle as well. Enjoy

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Climb Half Dome.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
If you are near the Yosemite southern entrance, near Oakhusrt, I would suggest driving about 3 hours to Carmel-by-the-sea and head down Ocean avenue to the beautiful white sand beach. Its close to 17 mile drive and Pebble Beach. Its also 5-7 minutes south of Monterey(yummy clam chowder on Fisherman's Wharf) and only 18-20 miles north of beautiful Big Sur which would include a very nice drive along Highway 1. If you go to Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park is a must stop. With an early start you could probably do all of this in one day although 1.5-2 days would be better.
E.Lee Galik

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention we aren’t camping. Just asking here cuz you guys have been so great in the past!
To save the 8 days round trip drive time from Michigan we’re flying and already have accommodations at Yosemite and Seq/KC.

We’ll just grab a hotel somewhere near the coast for a night or 2 when we visit.
Jerry

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
First, you probably not find any park campsites available, since they were booked 6 months ago. Especially Yosemite.
Same goes for coastal public campsites.
You'll probably will limited to private RV parks for either areas.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes