Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia “must do” advice sought
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia “must do” advice sought

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all-
We have 4 days near Yosemite and 4 near Sequoia/Kings from 6/29-7/7.

Just looking for “must do/see” things in and around those areas.

Also, if we want to visit the Pacific, which would you suggest traveling from to do that? Also, where would you suggest staying for a night near the ocean?

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

Jerry

TV : 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel
TT : 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH
Equal-I-Zer hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure others will give you good advice on what to do and see in Yosemite/Sequoia. I've only done day trips to Yosemite a few years ago, and it's been a long time for Sequoia other than a day trip about 7 years ago to Grant Grove. I grew up camping in these areas though as I'm from Visalia originally.

The other thing I would check is make sure your length isn't too long for Sequoia/Kings. Many of the roads there have pretty strict length restrictions.

But if you want to go to the beach, you're closer to it from Sequoia/Kings than Yosemite. But be aware that it's still about a 3 hour drive. There are RV parks all along the coast in and around Pismo (Cambria, Cayucos, Morro Bay, Avila etc) but I'd guess they get filled up pretty fast.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regular here as my handle suggest.

A must, often bypassed because of the scary road, is Toulumne Meadows. But everywhere out there is breathtakingly beautiful.

And so is Sequoia/Kings Canyon as well. Yes, @JAC is right, roads are very tight. Not sure the last years, but they even allow camping anywhere.

California coasts are a bit crowded this time of the year but very lovely. Campsites in state or county parks are difficult to get. If you have the time, go as far North as possible. The farther you go up, the more beautiful, and less crowded, it becomes specially if you are taking Highway 1 or Pacific Coast Highway.

It's a 3-hour drive to Pacific Coast. Highway 120, with if I recall correctly have more than 100 hairpin curves, is more challenging than the Fresno route.

Happy trails and safe travel.

* This post was edited 06/25/19 02:01pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The popular places are obvious in both parks. The important thing to do is get off the main trails and find the quiet. Look at some big trees with no one around. Feel the Divinity of the Sierra. It is not to be missed.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you probably not find any park campsites available, since they were booked 6 months ago. Especially Yosemite.
Same goes for coastal public campsites.
You'll probably will limited to private RV parks for either areas.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention we aren’t camping. Just asking here cuz you guys have been so great in the past!
To save the 8 days round trip drive time from Michigan we’re flying and already have accommodations at Yosemite and Seq/KC.

We’ll just grab a hotel somewhere near the coast for a night or 2 when we visit.

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are near the Yosemite southern entrance, near Oakhusrt, I would suggest driving about 3 hours to Carmel-by-the-sea and head down Ocean avenue to the beautiful white sand beach. Its close to 17 mile drive and Pebble Beach. Its also 5-7 minutes south of Monterey(yummy clam chowder on Fisherman's Wharf) and only 18-20 miles north of beautiful Big Sur which would include a very nice drive along Highway 1. If you go to Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park is a must stop. With an early start you could probably do all of this in one day although 1.5-2 days would be better.

E.Lee Galik

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Climb Half Dome.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite valley will be packed. Tuolomne meadows or hetch hetchy are good alternatives for hiking. Sequoia you have to go to Moro rock and see the trees. As others said, it is a good drive to the coast. I would recommend moonstone beach. Nice little motels overlooking the oceans. Wonderful sunsets. Close to Hearst castle as well. Enjoy

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also probably should have mentioned where we’re staying.

For Yosemite we’ll be at Cedar Lodge, El Portal.
For Sequoia/Kong’s Canyon , Comfort Inn in Three Rivers.

Looking for suggestions on day trips too. You guys are awesome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia “must do” advice sought
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS