cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for travel trailer. I need help, please

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's like pulling teeth to get these folks who are placing for sale ads to tell me the weights of their trailers. This particular guy I'm texting with now is giving me the "wt/wheels" weight which is 5,940.

Isn't that the weight that each axle can bear? That has nothing to do with the GVWR, right?

I'd just drive up and look at it but it's 2 hours north of me. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
1985 Class C Chevy Rockwood, 27'
Fulltiming since June, 2016. Flying solo but I'm never alone.
Fear not the unknown, but the fear itself.
12 REPLIES 12

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Cheryl_B wrote:
I gave up with that guy. I suspect he was just jerking me around. Thanks for your assistance though. I gave it my absolute best and I'm taking this as working out for the best.

That's what I was going to advise. If you get that aggravated with someone that early in the sales process, he probably isn't someone you want to deal with at all.

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up with that guy. I suspect he was just jerking me around. Thanks for your assistance though. I gave it my absolute best and I'm taking this as working out for the best.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
No model number you can look up on the internet? Can you post a photo? What is the length of the TT and what brand/model? You might be able to approximate the weight. You want the GVWR and not dry weights or axle ratings. The axle rating *could* possibly be a clue to the GVWR though along with the tire's size and load capacity rating.

What are you going to tow it with?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can look them up.
You can also figure out by looking at the construction and the size of the trailer what the approximate weight will be. Slideouts add around 400-500 pounds each.
aluminum frames with fiberglass are lighter than stick and tin.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a used trailer and you have the year, model, etc. you can go to NADA RV's, look up your trailer and it will give you the weight.
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Every TT I have owned and 99% of the TTs I see have a yellow sticker on the
front left corner of the TT. Over the past few years I have seen another
sticker on the door which is a "as shipped weight".

I thought this was universal.
Gerry

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There's no way the title weight is what you want, that could be anything. Every trailer has a GVWR plate. Most of them also have a yellow UVW sticker inside a kitchen cabinet. Tell your dealer if he can't send you the information from these too stickers then you will be moving on to a more competent dealer.

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. 🙂

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Cant guarantee it will be here but this site has a lot of info on used models.
rvusa

Good luck

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
He said that is the only weight that is on the title. I've asked him to send me a picture of either the GVWR on the title or to look for a spec label inside the trailer. This guy is driving me nuts, but this is so common with people selling trailers that are far away from me. I get aggravated!

Where is the most likely place those labels would be found in a travel trailer? My Class C has it in the closet near the bedroom.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That weight sounds like the Gross Axle Rating for both axles, which in this case would be tire limited (probably 2 x 3500# axles).

Easiest thing is just ask to be texted a picture of the GVWR placard. If they can't supply that, I'd question whether they really have said trailer. Plenty of scams out there with pics lifted from real ads.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With the make, model and year lookup the manufacturer. That should give you the dry weight and the max weight. Add 1500 pounds for stuff, water, food, WDH etc. Most RVers don’t know or remember.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad