cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itinerary for CO Springs, WY, MT, Dakotas, Richmond VA

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks provided some fantastic ideas for our thread here on a trip to Colorado Springs from Elkhart. It was so good and helpful that this one seeks ideas on how to get back east in August.

We'll leave CO Springs around the 4 July. We'll wander WY, MT, and the Dakotas before heading to Richmond VA. I know Sturgis starts 2 Aug and won't be anywhere near it. We need to be in Richmond around 9 August.

About us: 40'MH towing; don't like Interstates if reasonable secondary road avail; travel about 4 hours a day; not picky about CGs; usually only reserve a stop ahead. Can use military campgrounds.

Thanks much in advance.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
3 REPLIES 3

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Well Skipper, can't say that you don't think out of the box (smile). Appreciate the ideas. Gotta think on this.

Weren't going to include Yellowstone this time because we were there in 2016...BUT...I know we only scratched the surface there. We haven't done Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas so wanted to hit those. I found the itinerary that one of the caravans use so might play with that and tailor it to our likes. I'll post back here once we get to AFA and have some thinking time.

Wish we didn't have a hard return date to Richmond.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Lots of folks provided some fantastic ideas for our thread here on a trip to Colorado Springs from Elkhart.

It was so good and helpful that this one seeks ideas on how to get back east in August.

We'll leave CO Springs around the 4 July.

We'll wander WY, MT, and the Dakotas before heading to Richmond VA. I know Sturgis starts 2 Aug and won't be anywhere near it.

We need to be in Richmond around 9 August.

About us: 40'MH towing; don't like Interstates if reasonable secondary road avail; travel about 4 hours a day; not picky about CGs; usually only reserve a stop ahead.

Can use military campgrounds.

Thanks much in advance.

Let's look at the possible options -

Option One Rushmore first or Rushmore last?

Option Two, skip the Black Hills till next year and enjoy the Mountains and the elevation to Keep Cool?

Out of the Springs Buena Vista is the Logical choice - RT 24 direct.

Spend a few days there - Leadville - Camp Hale - Turquoise Lake - Twin Lakes and RT 82 in the Toad to Marron Bells - Collegiates - Crested Butte - Salida - Arkansas River -

Then on to RT 50 to Gunnison - Crested Butte if missed then on to Lake City/Ouray/Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Silverton and Telluride will scream for you.

Bump you over to Moab on RT 62-145-90-46-191 then try RT 128 back to I-70 to RT 139 to Dino NM on the Green River - then on to Flaming Gorge Marina CG - Now up to Cody through Wind River Canyon and the Northern parts of Yellowstone or Jackson and the Tetons before YNP ......thinking you are out of time. .:)

What do you think,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wandering through WY and MT is a great idea.