cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC maintenance schedule

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We all observe car/truck maintenance schedules, often more carefully than we observe our own body diet, but how many have maintenance schedule for TC?
For me it is none.
So on last trip my 18 yo water pump start sucking air somewhere.
It is placed well above tank, so it was pretty obvious it had to be in pump area. I tighten water hose clamp, what seems to solve it for a day, but than air in the pump again.
After struggling with it for 3 days, we arrived to campground having ACE hardware across the street, so I figure out this is good place to start fooling with it.
The pump has a strainer on suction side with big oring, who look too square for me. So walk to ACE and 43 cents later no more air in water pump.
But for those going into the woods for days the 43 cents would be good call for preemptive replacement, or spare part.
The oring size I have is 1/8 x 1.25"
15 REPLIES 15

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
PO owner of my Lance did very good job on sealing. Seem he had all the trim removed and additional butyl tape added.
When it look ugly with dirty droplets of butyl showing outside, the 18 yo camper has no leaks.
Lance has 1-piece metal roof and that helps as well.
Caulk on the top is band-aid that is design to fail.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a conventional stick-built camper, you’d be very wise to fully reseal your seams every year.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not delete the strainer. My RV came without a strainer and the space is limited so it would require some work to move the pump location for installing a filter.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about strainer delete as years of use show only some greasy smudge on it, but then a grain of sand can destroy the pump, so better to have it.
Still delete is good as backup plan.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never had a strainer or filter. The pump has been working for 8 years. That was 2 years of full time use and 6 years of use for several months each year. The tank is clean and has never been flushed or had any maintenance. The line leading to the pump is clear tubing and also clean. Without a strainer or filter any small debris is pumped through the system. A filter or strainer will eventually clog with silt. I use a Brita filter for drinking water.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Otherwise I cannot think of any spare parts I might need.

So you don't have strainer on your water pump?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure what this has to due with a "maintenance schedule". My TC has no scheduled maintenance. I do winterize and dewinterize. I check the appliances before each travel season and I also clean and check the entire TC at the beginning and end of the season. I have an extra plastic drain plug for the hot water heater. Otherwise I cannot think of any spare parts I might need.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Ace is the place of the friendly hardware store...ah dah, ah dah...

actually, “Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks”

https://newsroom.acehardware.com/ace-spotlights-iconic-jingle-in-new-ace-is-the-place-campaign/
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

_squish
Explorer
Explorer
For us we regularly check the following
Roof and side wall penetration seal condition
Battery electrolyte level
Clean the solar panel
Check inside for rodent or insect intrusion

We will be adding a monthly extend the jacks clean and wax the legs
We will also add water to both waste water tanks

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Around here it's maintenance by the season. This is summer...no maintenance. It was 94f heat index at dawn this morning. I've got a new Progressive Dynamics converter to install....maybe in September. I might, might, load it up and go somewhere in August when my desire to wander overcomes the misery of heat.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t really have a maintenance schedule either. Even though some would say the climate is more extreme, my TC seems to like Western Montana better than Western Washington. Other than snow, there’s probably less chance for water intrusion, too.

I take a look at different parts every so often. But if I like to work on it when it’s off the truck. Your post reminds me that I need to adjust the pressure cutoff on the water pump. On our last trip, it would intermittently pump even though I knew there wasn’t a leak. Simple fix of turning the pump off which we usually do anyway, but I figure I’ll fix it before it runs extra. I might also change the way it mounts to make it more quiet.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had mine, I would sweep snow off after every snowstorm not matter how much or how little. It was easy to do since I stored the camper right next to my deck and I could walk onto it as opposed to using the ladder. This allowed me to keep an eye on the roof often and invariably, there was some sort of caulking every spring.

Spring would also have me doing a check of all the caulking on the sides as well.

I once had a leak after doing some plumbing upgrades and it can sure make a mess when pipes are compromised... lesson learned from that was to at least check closely all the plumbing connection in the spring as well.

Batteries were either dismounted and bought in to the garage or leaving the TC plugged into shore power in the winter with proper water level in either case.

Keeping up on inspections was really a means to have little as possible "maintenance." Better to find out early and fix as opposed to being ignorant of it and letting stuff go.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Main page shows 1 reply, but I don't see it in the topic? :h