cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick and Easy Camper Life

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a couple of examples why I love my camper beyond the obvious ease of camping and simplicity of carrying.

#1 My wife and I travelled about 100 miles from home to attend a party for a friend a couple of weeks ago. It was in an upscale downtown area with hotels everywhere. I scouted out the adjacent streets via Google Street View and found the perfect parking area adjacent to a golf course and one block from the party. We parked the camper, had a blast at the party and walked home to our camper. Saved $200+ on hotel and parking fees.

#2 On Father's day, we loaded up for a day of bicycle riding, surfing, kite flying and barbecuing at the beach. Got there early parked on the boardwalk had our own cabana with all the amenities, never saw the inside of the crowded public restrooms and enjoyed our beach property.

#3 We're headed to Las Vegas to see a concert and the camper is our home for the night saving even more on hotel fees and parking charges.

Versatility indeed! Let's hear your beyond camping hacks with your camper.
Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2
15 REPLIES 15

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the reasons why we have a truck camper with no slides or pop up or outs, is to stealth camp. I have no issues with someone in a well kept, clean RV parking on my street.

We use ours as a guest bedroom an office, a place to escape, both of us work from home.
We have used it for events that we wouldn't go to if we had to book a room for the night.

I'm right there with ya squish! I belong to a group of national camper owners who provide free overnight parking on our property, with hook-ups when and where available, while passing through our town. It's our way of giving a little back to this great past time.

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you look like you can afford to pay a CG fee, then you are welcome to park on the street? I guess the best way to fight poverty is to make it illegal???

_squish
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons why we have a truck camper with no slides or pop up or outs, is to stealth camp. I have no issues with someone in a well kept, clean RV parking on my street.

We use ours as a guest bedroom an office, a place to escape, both of us work from home.
We have used it for events that we wouldn't go to if we had to book a room for the night.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Getting away from the noise, the phone, the computer, the summer heat by heading up in the mountains. Don't like air conditioning but love the 38 degrees by 8:30 in the evening. What a relief. All you hear is the wildlife and enjoy the occasional getting spooked in the middle of the night. Last spook was a large pine cone hitting the roof. Time before was something made the camper sway a little.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
You guys who park in front of random houses and businesses should put signs up in front of your house and businesses inviting RVs to park out front. Sheesh, just to save a few dollars ...

It is not just few dollars as most of RV parks cost $40 those days (even if you find one close to your friends), than in popular locations you need to make reservation in February for summer stay.
You are welcome to park in front of my house anytime. I own the only house in the block, so there is space for at least 10 TC.
Will you bring a beer, I let you park on my driveways. That should fit few TC as well.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
You guys who park in front of random houses and businesses should put signs up in front of your house and businesses inviting RVs to park out front. Sheesh, just to save a few dollars ...

Must be the same folks who park in the Flying J RV lane, then go order 5 hot dogs prepared 5 different ways and take Fluffy for a walk, that are being discussed in another thread. LOL.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Yoly's mom lives in a retirement/care facility down in Macon about 125 miles away. She has a small 1 bedroom apartment on the ground floor with a patio facing a grassy area and a parking lot. We visit her once a month. On the morning of our arrival she puts little traffic cones across the two spaces adjacent to her patio. We arrive, back into our "spot" and plug in to the outlet on her patio. Now we have our own place to sleep and it allows us to bring refrigerated food that we've made ahead of time for the visit. It also provides me a place for my afternoon siestas away from "the ladies". Her patio has sliding glass doors so we're only about 15 yards from her mom. We usually stay for 3 or 4 days this way as it's super convenient.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Western Sky Ranch wrote:
Relax Francis!

“Sheesh” should be your clue that I’m relaxed. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:

Relax Francis!

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Not so easy. Most of California city have ordinances, who are not necessarily posted as the law required.
Years ago I tried to do similar, when I park my motorhome across the street from golf course and I found unoccupied house for sale to park in front of it.
Yet one of the neighbor did not like RV "on his street" and call the police, who left me a ticket. I drove to Police station and sergeant dismissed the ticket as having no lawful base, but that did not make my day.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
50th high school reunion, about 1000 miles away, for me. Enjoyable drive and boondock camping there and back. Fully furnished apartment - with my own bed - while there. No air fare, no motels, no car rental, no crowds. Ain't saying it was free - but a good deal cheaper and a lot more pleasant than the alternative.
Boy, some of those people were OLD!.
Cal

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
Living in SW FL, we had to evacuate our home for hurricane Irma. We towed our tt to Alabama. When the storm was over we came back to no damage on our house but almost everyone else had quite a bit of damage, many homes are still covered with tarps waiting for a new roof.
We hooked the generator up to the tt in our driveway. Had a/c, hot showers, refrigeration, and cooking abilities with HD tv, for over 2 weeks till the power came back on and water was cleared for drinking. Nice to have a back up plan.

Did that too! Ha ha

Drove from NY to FL to save my boat from the hurricane. Bought jugs for extra diesel since all gas stations were closed and stocked up. Then drove into Georgia to avoid the main eye after securing the boat.

Plan worked perfectly and in total comfort. Felt pretty tippy in gusts to 60mph but not enough to tip the TC.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Living in SW FL, we had to evacuate our home for hurricane Irma. We towed our tt to Alabama. When the storm was over we came back to no damage on our house but almost everyone else had quite a bit of damage, many homes are still covered with tarps waiting for a new roof.
We hooked the generator up to the tt in our driveway. Had a/c, hot showers, refrigeration, and cooking abilities with HD tv, for over 2 weeks till the power came back on and water was cleared for drinking. Nice to have a back up plan.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo