Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone use a TPMS for their trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anyone use a TPMS for their trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetjocka7 wrote:

I bought a TPMS from a company who imports and resells these Chinese made electronic units. Had no luck getting reliable info on the receiver on the dash of my truck UNTIL I talked with a tech, who said that because I have a weather station in my trailer (which transmits on the same frequency that the TPMS uses; 433mhz) that I will HAVE to use a REPEATER to get a strong enough signal to the truck dash. The interference from the weather station outside sensor breaks down the link between the tire sensors and the receiver on the dash. If no Frequency interference is present, then the system should work without a repeater BUT even then I have read that with a repeater, you get a more reliable reading in the truck than without SO I recommend getting a repeater anyway.
TPMS systems cost over $150-350 and more, so they are expensive.

Mine came with the repeater and it could not have been easier to install it. It's not just your weather station, but without the repeater, the receiver can be affected by other things such as vehicle blind-spot systems. I paid $152 for mine on Amazon, got it in two days, and TireMinder has great customer service from all I've read, though I haven't had to use them yet. So far the system seems to work perfectly, and the peace of mind is invaluable. And EVERYTHING is made in China.

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

You must be new to the Forum. This topic has been discussed frequently. Search for TPMS to read previous posts.

Have you ever used the search function on this forum? It sucks, rather than a link to 1 thread you get links to EVERY POST in any given thread.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line
480 watts of solar

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

You must be new to the Forum. This topic has been discussed frequently. Search for TPMS to read previous posts.

Have you ever used the search function on this forum? It sucks, rather than a link to 1 thread you get links to EVERY POST in any given thread.
Nothing says you need to click on EVERY POST, you can pick and choose the thread you want to peruse. The Search function works fairly well, but it searches for posts, not threads. But it lists the threads that the post appear in.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TST 507 caught 3 tire leaks 2 on a cargo trailer towed behind a truck camper. Was able to get off the road before they came apart. Other on inside dual not noticed as there was no weight on the truck. Saved me three tires as all were repairable.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TST 507 here since 2011. It saved my derriere once when a brake caliper started dragging. It alarmed "high temperature." The wheel was smoking when I pulled over.

It was on a Class C with 6 wheels. When I moved it to my new TT with 4 wheels, I had two extra senders. I figured why not? I put the extra two senders on the tow vehicle spare tire and the TT spare tire. Between it and the tow vehicle's built in TPMS, I can check the pressure in every tire.

Also, the TST folks provide excellent customer service. After about 3 or 4 years, the receiver battery went belly up. It would work while plugged in, but would die as soon as unplugged. Since it was out of warranty, I contacted TST to ask what battery it took so I could buy another battery. TST replaced the receiver for me at no charge. They even apologized that I had to program the replacement.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No search necessary for this one......(unless you really want to)...

There have been several (won't say numerous) threads/posts by folks blissfully cruising down the road, towing a 5th wheel and *NOT* known they have a flat on the trailer - until alerted by a passing motorist.

*ANY* brand of monitor is better than the above..

BTW - my Pressure Pro still works great.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used that same brand on our TT. Worked great, but batteries don't last long. Closer to 2-3 months, no matter the brand. They are an odd size (CR1632), and I couldn't find them locally.

I have since purchased them at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2XwNERP Only $5.99 for 10.

I was surprised to see how much extra sensors cost. When we bought the Class A late last year, I had planned on using the same TPMS on the new rig, but needed to buy more sensors. It was almost cheaper to buy an all new system, with 6 sensors. Source: https://amzn.to/2xzwuZj

Consequently, the new system is used on the Class A. The 4 old sensors have been put on the Jeep we tow. It easily monitors all 10 tires at once. The old monitor is kept as a spare, along with the booster. The new system works perfectly with the older sensors.

Really a good brand.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVI temp psi on our Class A and towed.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Joel_T

Vernonia Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used the TST for 4 years. Only gave me a heads up once for a slow leak from a nail that would have been a flat in the middle of nowhere had I not been monitoring. I made it to a BIG O outfit that fixed it for free! When you see trailers pulled off the side the trouble seems to always be a flat. I don't want to be that example so bought the TPMS.

(Searches have their pluses but so do new conversations.)

Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anyone use a TPMS for their trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS