cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel

busdriverbob
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new trailer Artic Wolf 305ML. It is pre wired for solar power. My question is do I just plug in a panel or do I need to buy a controller?
17 REPLIES 17

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I was thinking more along these lines:

SunPower 305W 72 cell Poly $0.30/W (Pallet) 25/Pallet

Buy them, mark them up 100% ($183 for a 305 watt panel)and sell them to other folk who want solar.

Get a grape charge controller from Home Depot for $70. It would handle 2 of these panels. Or you can get the Grape MPPT for a few dollars more.

You do have to watch the shipping costs.

https://sunelec.com/

I think that's a great idea as long as the spares actually get sold....

If you stack them in your wife's parking spot in the garage for a year it doesn't play so well........ Ask me how I know...... ๐Ÿ™‚
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

Sorry I was not clear, I was asking for a link to the panels with built in charge controllers. The link you posted is a conventional seperate panels and charge controller.

Oh, OK. I guess I missed the mark. I guess I should have written "built on", not "built in".
There is something special about camping in an RV.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

Here are a few. You may pay an extreme premium price for such a combined device.

https://www.solbian.eu/en/24-allinone-series?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

PNW_Steve wrote:

Sorry I was not clear, I was asking for a link to the panels with built in charge controllers.

The link you posted is a conventional seperate panels and charge controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was thinking more along these lines:

SunPower 305W 72 cell Poly $0.30/W (Pallet) 25/Pallet

Buy them, mark them up 100% ($183 for a 305 watt panel)and sell them to other folk who want solar.

Get a grape charge controller from Home Depot for $70. It would handle 2 of these panels. Or you can get the Grape MPPT for a few dollars more.

You do have to watch the shipping costs.

PNW_Steve wrote:

Holy Cow!!!

$619 for a 100 watt panel and a PWM controller.......
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
If you want inexpensive panels this link may help--but watch out for the shipping charges. They do have two locations:

Holy Cow!!!

$619 for a 100 watt panel and a PWM controller.......
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

Could you post a link to these?

Click

Sorry I was not clear, I was asking for a link to the panels with built in charge controllers.

The link you posted is a conventional seperate panels and charge controller.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want inexpensive panels this link may help--but watch out for the shipping charges. They do have two locations:

Regards, Don

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

Click

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of a controller on the panel either. Doesnt really make sense. You want the comtroller inside the RV so you can monitor the vitals
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
busdriverbob wrote:
I bought a new trailer Artic Wolf 305ML. It is pre wired for solar power. My question is do I just plug in a panel or do I need to buy a controller?

You can buy panel(s) with controllers attached.

I have done a fair bit of solar and have not seen these. I have seen micro inverters built into the panel but never a charge controller.

Thanks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You need a controller. โ€œUnfilteredโ€ solar charging is not desirable. Whatโ€™s the wire size on the plugin? That determines how much solar you can have. Let us know when you tire of portable panels. The best of solar isnโ€™t โ€œplug and play.โ€ Do some reading.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy an MPPT controller with some room to expand your system in the future.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
busdriverbob wrote:

You can buy panel(s) with controllers attached.

busdriverbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info