cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Family (wild) Camping

Ivacanto
Explorer
Explorer
I get wild camping, and I get why it's really important to stick to the unwritten rules of the game but I've got a dilemma and you guys seem to be of the right mind to (hopefully) help me out.

I've got a middle-sized son who's showing signs of being a real outdoors type - which I'm keen to encourage. He and his friend would really like to camp - but more Arthur Ransome than 'Happy Campers inc'. We (the adults in both families) are more than happy to service this and plan to take both families off in the next few weeks. We're based in the North East so there are a plethora of interesting places to go and walks to do.

I think the ideal situation would be to have a base camp and then do shortish low-level walks from there (we don't want to break them, and put them off for life) with plenty of time for dawdling, looking at the birds and general faffing that goes with taking the kids on any outdoors pursuit.

Obviously, the whole "not more than 2" and "not for more than 1 night" and "preferably at the top of some mountain where no-one can see you" aspect of the wild thing is just not going to work...

What we really don't want to do is end up on a barren field full of caravans and people trying to get Eastenders on their portable TV's...which has been the sum of some recentish experiences.

It seems (to me) that about 98% of the charm of camping is looking at some amazing place, where there are few other people and the whole 'survival' element. And avoiding midgies (as a transplated Scot I *know* about the ruddy midgies...)

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does anyone have any good ideas for smallish, basic campsites in the North (Northumberland or the Lakes)? Am I completely mad?

Thanks...
10 REPLIES 10

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This person is in England near the Scottish border. Northumberland is where Border Collies come from. New York as opposed to York.

It may be difficult to escape the crowds in the UK. I would suggest some day hikes to get away from people and enjoy the quiet. Try a simple overnight in good weather. When there are a lot of people around, then getting away from them becomes important.

rovyart
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested and would like to know more camping and outdoor activities that teach character development and citizenship training since I'm planning to organize a company team building this year.
fifth wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great report and congratulations on your grandson achieving Eagle rank, D.E. However, please remember that Scouting uses the outdoors to teach character development, citizenship training, and personal fitness. Scouting teaches โ€œcampingโ€ only to attain those three goals...not to teach camping skills.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
IF???? you can get reservations, the state campgrounds in a lot of the Adirondack park have no cell service and no power with plenty of opportunities to explore.

David
David

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea and am sure there are plenty of places in the Northeast US to achieve this. With our crew of pre-teens/ teens having similar aspirations, we have the same challenges and goals. Last year they pitched a tent at the edge of the campground well we oldies slept in the RV- and everyone made it through the night. I would Google preferred states/ counties with something like "isolated campgrounds" to generate lists like this: https://vtsports.com/7-hidden-lakefront-campsites/

I'd also have an honest conversation with the boys- hey we recognize your interests, and these are our limitations. Here's a list and let's find a place or three to hone in on.

Add a couple spot-x devices (or phones, walkie talkies, etc) and most of the basic concerns are probably covered.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
A little off the Wild Family camping idea is what our grandson did last year. He did over two weeks of wilderness camping in the Alaska Bush. Hiking, cooking, swimming, canoeing, kayaking and being independent of parents and other family members but supervised. They carried with them all they needed and then had to bring it out. They even had to use the plastic waste containers for their bodily waste and bring that out.

This was for a 16 year old kid, virtually the end of a great time as a member of the Boy Scouts. He found, not his divorced Mom, a troop that camped a lot. and joined that troop when his old troop started concentrating on physical development over camping and leadership. We provided the money for the trip as a congratulation on achieving the rank of Eagle.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Too many people camping to be truly isolated. Donโ€™t go too primitive until the kids are ready.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My early experiences camping were as a teenager in the deep woods of Ontario on fishing trips. Having to pull boats up river rapids and portage equipment was an amazing experience. I was hooked

While as an adult I haven't done that wild, when our daughter was little we made it a point to hike where ever we could, and to this day (she's 35) she loves camping and hiking.

I can't tell you anything about the area you are looking to camp in but I think you are doing a great thing for your kids. I wish you the best!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Teach them the skills so they can do their own trips. Start them with day trips. Don't treat teenagers like children. Let them chose their food and set the schedule and do the navigating.

When they are ready they can do their own overnight trips. We started camping without adults on week long trips at the age of 13.

If you don't have the skills sign them up with people that do.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you talking tent or RV camping?

Are you talking about New England or old England? (your signature shows New York but a lot of your comments appear to be UK based)

How long are the trips?

How far are you willing to drive?

I would disagree that 98% of camping is being isolated in the wilderness. It can be a great thing but hardly the entirety.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV