Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length and Height

tem3000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking to buy a used 5er, gussy it up, and hit the road later this year. I've been lurking here and elsewhere for ages to be as prepared as I can, but there's one question I still have.

I'm a relatively short guy so I'm not worried about the height in the bedroom, but I am concerned about having as much sense of space as possible in the rig since I'll be travelling for extended periods.

My question then is what manufacturers tend to have not just high interiors but the most level roof lines. So far, I've been looking at Alfa's from 2000-2008 or so because they seem to have the highest ceilings, the tallest slides, and a roof line that looks straight/flat all the way from the front of the bedroom to the very back. Anyone out there have or know of an Alfa that can confirm this?

Since that seems consistent across all Alfa's - at least during that period - I thought I'd check in here to see if people know of particular manufacturers that have a reputation for the same sort of things, high ceilings and level roof lines. I'm guessing not all manufacturers are as consistent as Alfa seems to be, but I thought I'd take a stab anyway!

I did a search for this topic on the forum and didn't find anything other than a thread about tall people and bedroom heights. If this is a duplicate, apologies and please point me to the thread!
44 REPLIES 44

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Durango Gold side view - Flat, the nose does curve down. I just did a roof clean for the year & it is flat except he cap.

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-gold-fifth-wheels/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
tem3000 wrote:
I think you might be right, TxGearhead. I'm so grateful to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I'm finding that I'm lacking in the art of asking the right questions, and some of you have helped me with that. I'm grateful. I'll let go of the dream for now and see if time changes the picture. Cheers.
Check out RVShare.com for rentals in your area.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

tem3000
Explorer
Explorer
I think you might be right, TxGearhead. I'm so grateful to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I'm finding that I'm lacking in the art of asking the right questions, and some of you have helped me with that. I'm grateful. I'll let go of the dream for now and see if time changes the picture. Cheers.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking this may be one of those dreams you just have to forget about.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
DRV Mobile Suite has flat roof

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tem3000 wrote:
I have to confess, I've been on the fence about a test trip, but my logic may be faulty. Since we don't have a truck yet (admitted, towing experience is limited so there's a learning curve there), we'd likely be in a motor home. I haven't been in newer ones but my memory is that the bowling alley factor may be a bit too high for him. I know it would be testing the lifestyle, not the vehicle, but I'd hate for him to decide the whole thing's not for him on the basis of a trip in something that feels cramped to him. Feels risky. On the other hand, the potential is for him to get used to the size quickly, and enjoy being on the road. It' fall here in New England, and it's beautiful, as always.

Lyle, that's a great suggestion. I think he's just intrigued enough to be good with that exercise. I'll propose it. Stay tuned.

This is so helpful. You all rock. If this is what the rv community is like, I have a lot to look forward to.

There are a few threads here, and on other fora, where people have posted their must-haves, etc.

An example of my must-haves is auto-level! :B Won't have another rig without it, assuming I live long enough to buy another one.

An example of an absolutely-not from my list, and that's the idiotic flip up steps that most mfrs are putting on their rigs, starting last year. For me, I would not be able to access the interior of my rig without 1) taking my truck to where it's stored (11 miles one way), 2) putting my FW hitch in my truck (not mounted when not towing), 3) hooking it up and moving it out about 30', then back, and 4) removing the hitch. Yes, I could park it in such a way that I could drop the steps, but then the street-side slide would only be able to be extended about 12", barely enough for us to get to the rear area. As it is with my old-school steps, I can fully extend all 3 slides and be able to squeeze by on both sides.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Units with multiple slides have come a long way to eliminating a bowling alley feel.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

tem3000
Explorer
Explorer
I have to confess, I've been on the fence about a test trip, but my logic may be faulty. Since we don't have a truck yet (admitted, towing experience is limited so there's a learning curve there), we'd likely be in a motor home. I haven't been in newer ones but my memory is that the bowling alley factor may be a bit too high for him. I know it would be testing the lifestyle, not the vehicle, but I'd hate for him to decide the whole thing's not for him on the basis of a trip in something that feels cramped to him. Feels risky. On the other hand, the potential is for him to get used to the size quickly, and enjoy being on the road. It' fall here in New England, and it's beautiful, as always.

Lyle, that's a great suggestion. I think he's just intrigued enough to be good with that exercise. I'll propose it. Stay tuned.

This is so helpful. You all rock. If this is what the rv community is like, I have a lot to look forward to.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
I still think renting a RV would be a good idea to see if both of you like the lifestyle. He might really enjoy it. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Pick a destination that you would both enjoy going to.

^^^^^X2!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tem3000 wrote:
Sorry for the radio silence, folks. Everyone's contributions have been so, so helpful. While we haven't been for RV marital counseling (very good point, TxGearhead.), figuring out what we both want to do is turning out to be more useful than me finding some compromise that would make him grudgingly go along.

That said, I have managed to bring him to see different rv's. We haven't hit a mega one like Camper's World yet because I think it would overwhelm him and have the opposite effect from what I want. But for some reason, somehow, he's become intrigued by 5th wheels. If I talk about *actually* spending time long-term, or *actually* making a purchase, he closes down the conversation. But then he'll start calling out things he might theoretically like as we simultaneously surf on the sofa. He's become fascinated with ultralites, for example, and what the pros and cons are to different layouts.

A large part is that I have some understanding and vocabulary to keep the conversation going, and I thank you all for that. Learning about profiles, for example, and so much else.

This has me thinking about how, if two people decide to buy a 5th wheel or rv of any sort, inevitably one person will be more hesitant than the other. Or very often, at least. So I'm sure a lot of convincing goes on to make the other person more likely to go along. And it may be that the good or bad expectations don't match the reality of long-term traveling, and either one or both spouses unexpectedly falls in or out of love with the whole adventure. (Wife feeling claustrophobic and sleeping on the sofa isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates how the phenomenon can happen.)

So nothing is a guarantee when two people start out on something like this. I don't mean to switch the topic of the thread, but I'd love to hear how or if others have experienced coaxing a reluctant spouse to get in the 5th wheel/trailer world with or without final success. If so, what did the trick? Or what failed to work?

(Good Lord, this is a long post. It may break the internet. Thank you for reading this far.)

Here's a suggestion for you. YOU make up a list with 4 categories; Must-Haves, Be-nice-to-haves, Can-do-withouts, and Absolutely Nots. Ask your DH to do the same. Take the time to do this =seriously= and do them completely separately. Give yourselves a reasonable time, but don't leave it open-ended; say 30 days. Swap lists and see how you compare.

My own experience had me shopping for over 2 years as I was trying to get my old FW sold, first, but I was also comparing everything I could find that fit my most basic parameters. I had narrowed my selection down to 2 units. A KZ was my #1 choice and a very similar (like 90+% similar) Jayco was my #2 choice. I wasn't prepared to travel nearly 800 miles one-way to the closest KZ model that I could find, so had to make do with pictures until I got the old rig sold. There is a large Jayco dealer near us, so I took my wife to look at the particular rig I had in mind. As soon as we walked into it, she said, "wow, this is really nice, but where's the pantry." DOH! Never even occurred to me, as it had so much more storage that I didn't figure we'd need one. I never did get to look at the comparable KZ since it, too, didn't have a dedicated pantry. I still preferred KZ over Jayco for several reasons so, when a dealer not too far from us had something similar to at least look at, we drove an hour to check it out. DW says as we step in, "wow, this is =really= nice and I love the peninsula counter and sink." OK, so I knew which one we were going to get, at that point. :B That, and the fact that the dealership's owner wanted it gone off his lot since it'd been sitting there most of a year, it was a no-brainer.

Only other piece of advice I can give you is to use Camping World for "window shopping" and, when it comes to buying, go out of state if you have to to avoid dealing with them. IMO, they make used car salesmen look good.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I still think renting a RV would be a good idea to see if both of you like the lifestyle. He might really enjoy it. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Pick a destination that you would both enjoy going to.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For my wife and I, it was about going into a 5th wheel with the same expectations so that either we were both going to be happy or both be unhappy. We had discussed it for a few years before actually pulling the trigger. We both enjoyed going to RV shows and seeing many dealers/manufacturers in one place.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

tem3000
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the radio silence, folks. Everyone's contributions have been so, so helpful. While we haven't been for RV marital counseling (very good point, TxGearhead.), figuring out what we both want to do is turning out to be more useful than me finding some compromise that would make him grudgingly go along.

That said, I have managed to bring him to see different rv's. We haven't hit a mega one like Camper's World yet because I think it would overwhelm him and have the opposite effect from what I want. But for some reason, somehow, he's become intrigued by 5th wheels. If I talk about *actually* spending time long-term, or *actually* making a purchase, he closes down the conversation. But then he'll start calling out things he might theoretically like as we simultaneously surf on the sofa. He's become fascinated with ultralites, for example, and what the pros and cons are to different layouts.

A large part is that I have some understanding and vocabulary to keep the conversation going, and I thank you all for that. Learning about profiles, for example, and so much else.

This has me thinking about how, if two people decide to buy a 5th wheel or rv of any sort, inevitably one person will be more hesitant than the other. Or very often, at least. So I'm sure a lot of convincing goes on to make the other person more likely to go along. And it may be that the good or bad expectations don't match the reality of long-term traveling, and either one or both spouses unexpectedly falls in or out of love with the whole adventure. (Wife feeling claustrophobic and sleeping on the sofa isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates how the phenomenon can happen.)

So nothing is a guarantee when two people start out on something like this. I don't mean to switch the topic of the thread, but I'd love to hear how or if others have experienced coaxing a reluctant spouse to get in the 5th wheel/trailer world with or without final success. If so, what did the trick? Or what failed to work?

(Good Lord, this is a long post. It may break the internet. Thank you for reading this far.)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The OP hasn't posted since June.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive