cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500 Hemi or Ecodiesel?

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
We’re in the market for a Ram 1500. A friend owns a Hemi and loves it. He recommends against the diesel, citing lots of problems, lack of towing capacity and poor fuel mileage.

I’ve read about some of the problems.

Local dealer has eight 2018 Ram 1500 diesels still in stock and might do a great deal on a trade for our 2015 Frontier.

The trailer is a steel flatbed hauling a 4-seat UTV, GVW 3000# total, 3500# single axle and tires, trailer brakes.

Any thoughts?
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV
56 REPLIES 56

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
12k is pushing all the spec limits for a regular 1/2 ton platform or 9k for a TT no matter the Mfgr. And that’s with proper weight distribution and proper motor & gearing etc.

I think the take rate should be something like 70 percent Hemi 20 percent Pentastar 10 percent Ecodiesel depending on how the truck is to be used. It’s weird how many people are defensive like a new motor is to replace their old favorite when that’s never been the objective. Pick the best motor to fit your needs & objectives variety & choice fits more needs and sells more Rams. Ram dropped the pointless 4.7 and added the diesel to keep 3. Chevy will have 4 with the small diesel Ford 5 with their small diesel.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Diesels are made to pull. They are made to last for high mileage. Living in Wyo those are the two things to pay attention to. It will pay for itself in increased mileage and reliability.

Right, that’s why we have the Ram 2500HD Cummins. A very successful recently completed 5200 mile road trip.

Diesel considered, but for the Ram 1500 daily driver, occasionally towing 3200#, the Hemi seemed the best choice. Certainly better than our traded 2015 Nissan Frontier V6 w/factory tow package. Weight rated, but... Not nearly enough engine 😉
Rich
Southern NV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Diesels are made to pull. They are made to last for high mileage. Living in Wyo those are the two things to pay attention to. It will pay for itself in increased mileage and reliability.

Correct

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
"Supposed to be 12,650lbs towing capacity in the US, but RAM Trucks Australia has only a 7,700lb rating. Huge difference in the hype to the reality"

Whatever dude, Crocodile Dundee just called and said get off the forum!

PS I thought all you had were Utes that could tow the world down there. Maybe Aussie pounds are heavier because they're more full of ____ than US pounds!

No the ADR does testing here for Europe as well so they test all Pickups that MAYBE sold there

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Supposed to be 12,650lbs towing capacity in the US, but RAM Trucks Australia has only a 7,700lb rating. Huge difference in the hype to the reality"

Whatever dude, Crocodile Dundee just called and said get off the forum!

PS I thought all you had were Utes that could tow the world down there. Maybe Aussie pounds are heavier because they're more full of ____ than US pounds!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
Considering it won't happen more often than every 5 or 6 years, I wouldn't prioritize changing the spark plugs very high.

No, me either, but it was a strange comment given the simplicity and good access around a Hemi in a pickup truck. Especially spark plugs.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
You will get all kinds of answers on what it costs on both depending on how a guy does his maintenance such as pay a dealership to do it, do it yourself, others shops plus area of the county what kind of oil do you choose etc etc etc
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
out of curiosity, what is the actual maintenance costs of the hemi vs ecodiesel over say 100000 km(60000 mi)
ie, normal oil changes, filters, def, normal scheduled stuff
we have a hemi(17), all its had is oil changes and an airfilter in 35000 km
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
richclover wrote:
We’re in the market for a Ram 1500. A friend owns a Hemi and loves it. He recommends against the diesel, citing lots of problems, lack of towing capacity and poor fuel mileage.

Local dealer has eight 2018 Ram 1500 diesels still in stock and might do a great deal on a trade for our 2015 Frontier.

The trailer is a steel flatbed hauling a 4-seat UTV, GVW 3000# total, 3500# single axle and tires, trailer brakes.

Any thoughts?

Compare GVWRs, and payloads. Then make your decision. If it can't carry the tongue weight. Stay away from it

Did you actually read what he typed? There’s not a normal 1/2 ton truck made in the last idk how many years, probably 50, that isn’t rated to handle a 3500lb trailer.

Supposed to be 12,650lbs towing capacity in the US, but RAM Trucks Australia has only a 7,700lb rating. Huge difference in the hype to the reality

My flatbed trailer has been weighed, empty, at 1380#. The Can Am book weight is 1739#, full fuel. 3119# full up. Trailer brakes and a 3500# axle/tires. Less than half what my new 1500 Hemi is rated to tow. 8110#, from the Ram website, based on 2019 Ram Big Horn, quad cab, 6’4” box, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.21 axle.
Rich
Southern NV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
richclover wrote:

Any thoughts?

Compare GVWRs, and payloads. Then make your decision. If it can't carry the tongue weight. Stay away from it

Did you actually read what he typed? There’s not a normal 1/2 ton truck made in the last idk how many years, probably 50, that isn’t rated to handle a 3500lb trailer.

Supposed to be 12,650lbs towing capacity in the US, but RAM Trucks Australia has only a 7,700lb rating. Huge difference in the hype to the reality

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Considering it won't happen more often than every 5 or 6 years, I wouldn't prioritize changing the spark plugs very high.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
“Except plugs”?
For anyone who hasn’t popped the hood on a newer Hemi, ease of changing spark plugs is one of it attributes. Imo.
Coil on plug, right on top of the motor.
They’re super easy

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
You did post pics! Congrats nice looking setup. Can’t beat the deals on the 4th gens now. With the 3.55 or better Pentastar, ED, or Hemi, all 3 would tow that pretty well. Weird how many people want to pick a best motor when there is only “a best” for how a given truck is used.

1320 I dig the ole 12 valves but I think your 2nd post in this thread is as factually inaccurate as your first post. Perhaps it’s missing pertinent details. To speak to what I have experienced If those THs were 6,500 pounds or less and you kept to 65 mph or less my ED would use less fuel than the 5.9 not more. I say that as mine always uses less fuel than the 5.9s in our transport company. Been on many cross country deliveries running together. 575,000 miles used for commercial RV transport. If you were running slow enough to average 13.68 or under above scenario my ED following you would likely have gotten well into the 15s and not 9.6 mpg. Faster or heavier and yep the gap narrows quick but never have I used as much let alone more fuel than anything else where we have run together.

Is the 5.9 a better built longer lived workhorse absolutely.