cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading to electric stabilizer jacks

hfd45c9
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently adding Lippert electric stabilizer jacks to our toy hauler. What is the correct way to wire the 12V DC motor to my back up batteries. They are wired in series. Any suggestions are appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my electric stabilizer jacks are powered by a 18V dewalt cordless drill. Grandson has fun helping me and it's quick.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
Stay with manual...drill with socket is less headaches...

X2 Totally agree!!!
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Stay with manual...drill with socket is less headaches...
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
both our current TT and previous had/has electric stabilizers. i have had no problems with them. i wouldn't require them on future purchase, manual would be fine for me. lowering and raising the electric ones do give my wife something to do setting up and breaking down the camper that makes her feel important

hfd45c9
Explorer
Explorer
I already have the wiring diagram/in line fuse etc. I just want to be sure I am wiring to the back up batts. correctly. Do I connect pos./neg. to terminals on one batt. or do I need to put pos. on one batt. and neg. on a different batt.?

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our experience with electric stabilizer jacks is positive. They came on the 3 yr old TT we bought, and we have used them for 5 years now with no problems.

On our previous TT's, I did use a cordless drill for the jacks, so I have that for comparison. I probably wouldn't pay a lot extra for electric stabilizers, but I like the convenience.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Just understand that they're less stable than anything you're replacing now.

My thought was that the title is wrong and should say: "Downgrading to electric stabilizer jacks."

The electric stabilizers are also slower than using a cordless drill with manual stabilizers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
ependydad wrote:

My thought was that the title is wrong and should say: "Downgrading to electric stabilizer jacks."

True, our fifth wheel has them and when they **** out someday I will not be replacing them not to mention they are slooooww.

Dan

I know a U-Haul store in Lousiana that'll make short work of those rear stabilizers if you want to just go ahead and smash the s$#@@t out of them.

๐Ÿ˜„
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ependydad wrote:

True, our fifth wheel has them and when they **** out someday I will not be replacing them not to mention they are slooooww.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
ependydad wrote:

They shouldn't be allowed to call them "stabilizers"... :M Only thing they're good for is convenience and "our TT is better than yours".

What you'll need is a set of BAL (or other brand) stabilizer struts for your "stabilizer" jacks. We've got 'em and they help a lot.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, check Lippert's wiring diagram. There should be a mini-breaker for each jack (like the one's in an A-frame) plus a fuse as I recall. Our breakers are mounted on the side of the frame I-beam next to the jack. Fuse is for short circuit protection and breaker is for overload protection. I think some manufacturers don't install both though (big cost savings??). On a retrofit, you can run new pos. wire up to the A-frame and use an in-line fuse there (weatherproof).

If you want to go a step further and get fancy, you could get rid of the metal 4x4 box in the A-frame, use a watertight PVC box and then install fuses & breakers in it along with splices, which is what I did.