Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Triple digit heat! Generator won't run
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Triple digit heat! Generator won't run

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got if fixed. Unless someone did some kind of crazy hack-job on your electrical work it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

i disagree with statement, and this has been discussed many times

not designed to switch heavy running loads, like the A/C

not designed to be a 'fail over'

it is simply an automatic choice device

which ever one of the (2) power choices you choose , gets selected
but only one is supposed to be 'HOT', not generator running and plugged in to shore power

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Quote:

it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

i disagree with statement, and this has been discussed many times

not designed to switch heavy running loads, like the A/C

not designed to be a 'fail over'

it is simply an automatic choice device

which ever one of the (2) power choices you choose , gets selected
but only one is supposed to be 'HOT', not generator running and plugged in to shore power

We've plugged into shore power before shutting down the genset plenty of times. I mean it's not like you can parallel these two sources.
Also the transfer switch relay contactors use the NC contacts for the shore power, so when genset is running the contacts close and essence have priority, so plugging in to shore, should have no effect.
One thing we always do though, is to shut off the ac, so that they don't ride down with the genset and even though, our unit shuts down pretty abruptly. Considering that there is a control sw. beside the bed as well, this thought of mine really doesn't have much merit, either.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bobkatmsu

clearwater, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.

Really appreciate you knowledge and willingness to help. As someone that is not nearly as proficient as you, your abbreviations sometimes leaving me scratching my head. My problem not yours I know, but if you could maybe spell it out for those of us mechanically challenged it would be much appreciated. Again thanks for all your help over the years.

2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobkatmsu wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.

Really appreciate you knowledge and willingness to help. As someone that is not nearly as proficient as you, your abbreviations sometimes leaving me scratching my head. My problem not yours I know, but if you could maybe spell it out for those of us mechanically challenged it would be much appreciated. Again thanks for all your help over the years.

CB= Circuit Breaker

ATS= Automatic Transfer Switch

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dkreuzen

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

viajante wrote:

I suspect that the problem was triple digit heat. I went out this morning and the generator started right up. I turned on the a/c and let everything run for a while, with no problems.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, which I did pay heed to and tried.

I doubt it was the heat. The generators in all my Motorhomes for the last 15 years run more when the temp is over 90 than below. When traveling I usually start the generator when the outside temp is above 90 and leave it running with the A/C on until we arrive at our destination. I have run the generators in 115+ heat many times and never had any issues.

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobkatmsu wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Very polite way of saying what needed saying.

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a switch inside our motorhome on the dash that allows us to start the generator from inside. We don't have to go outside and unplug from electric - we can run generator while plugged in and there is some kind of automatic switch that allows that. You should have that too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Triple digit heat! Generator won't run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS