Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Both AC's quit.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I am just now running one is giving me fits.> They keep overloadign the 20 amp branch breaker.. I can't go topside till Monday at the soonest so....

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you mean the "standard" low voltage protection from Progressive, or Surge Guard, 103 volts is, too low for my comfort zone.

It's not pretty when voltage momentarily drops to 80.

What are you using for amperage protection?

real4u2c wrote:

and excellent line voltage / and amperage protection in the Rv, fed from my 200 amp house panel.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be sure before you stick your fingers in the capacitor cage you short across the terminals on each and every capacitor. They can kill you if the discharge into your body.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the help. I climbed on the roof, removed the shells, and the motor run capacitor on the forward ac was exploded, goo everywhere in its cage, Thus the smell. The other capacitors were somewhat melted. The rear ac wasnt as dramatic, things got warm, but no explosion. Now comes the frustration of finding the parts and more Virginia humidity on the rooftop.

Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the search continues on the "WHY" all of a sudden this decide to happen, I also looked hard for frayed wires, i searched all over my rig for that possibilty, and even changed my rv extension cord in the off chance their was a break in the plug ends,.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you find the "why", that "why" is probably hanging out with the "Meaning of Life". Caps blow. Had the start cap on the much newer homestead heat pump failed last year with no warning on the first 90 degree Friday evening a few months after the warranty expired.

Replacementing caps are easy to do. Additional info - Installing Hard Start Capacitor

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there's any puffiness to any of the capacitors - replace them.
If there's any sign of damage to any of the capacitors - replace them.

"Run" capacitors are in metal cans and offer a failure is indicated by the top bulging up - a sure sign it's bad.

"Start" capacitors are usually in a hard plastic shell. The number of starts per house is limited and likewise, if they're left in the circuit very long, they'll overheat and began spewing their contents just before they short out and become useless.

It's also possible for them to go bad without any sign of damage. In that case, you'll need a meter to tell if they're any good.

http://www.capacitorformotor.com/starting_capacitor.html

http://www.hvachowto.com/2014/11/12/start-run-capacitor/

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT Towed - BX1648 Baseplate
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need the caps in a hurry, try an H & V firm/installer. They will be more that on the interweb, but if you need them, you need them. Just like the price of fuel in out of the way places, it may be high, but a bargain if you really need it.

Wildmanbaker

real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, I replaced all the capacitors using the part numbers on the older capacitors, one at a time , wire for wire so no cross connection would take place. I checked continuity across the compressor windings, all good, I inspected anything electrical on the roof for frayed wires, bad connections, terminals, 3 corroded terminals which I replaced with correct size. Plugged in house juice, front ac ran for 45 seconds, then died, almost same for rear ac. Climbed back on the roof, same capacitors as before were blown. Dam this has stumped me. I have checked everything electrical & mechanical hand over hand of what I could get access too.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you check the connections in the power panel , cord that has been posted, and also try only one unit and see. As units get older they draw a little bit more usually. If it blew the cap with only one unit and all the connections are good , then the compressor might have a short in the winding. Doug might be able to give you the ohms, and the max starting amps.

* This post was edited 07/20/19 11:01am by MountainAir05 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS