cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proper Cheese

Shortie3
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best cheese to use on a bbq'd Patty Melt?
21 REPLIES 21

dhansen871
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I like โ€œSmoked Goudaโ€ or โ€œHorseradish Cheese.โ€ Goes with everything!
Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcmac214 wrote:
Here or on burgers, dogs, brats and mac-cheese my 1st choice is Velveeta. I've been a Velveeta addict since I was old enough to bite a mouthful off the brick.

PS (edit) -- DW makes her M&C with white Velveeta and throws in a chopped onion before baking. More than just comfort food, it's Heaven for the body, soul and taste buds.

Here's where I'd be going with that:
Spam on white bread with Best Foods Mayo and Velveeta. Then grilled in an iron skillet! I'd be so all over that! That's Americana at it purest!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I vote Diesel-3/4 ton, no.....wait, 6v in series.........oops......Oh Cheese? There is no bad cheese! It's the one you like best that will work best!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Here or on burgers, dogs, brats and mac-cheese my 1st choice is Velveeta. I've been a Velveeta addict since I was old enough to bite a mouthful off the brick.

PS (edit) -- DW makes her M&C with white Velveeta and throws in a chopped onion before baking. More than just comfort food, it's Heaven for the body, soul and taste buds.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
ReneeG wrote:

ha ha, cheese snob indeed. If I want to make grilled cheese with American Cheese, it is never the individually wrapped cheese, but instead the pre-sliced block.

Same difference.

Seriously. Do yourself a favor and make a grilled cheese with Colby or a 5 year cheddar. You'll never make one again with American cheese.

I do often make them with cheddar, but I like the melting quality smoothness of that other stuff.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
What's next, debating brands of peanut butter on a PB&J?

Chunky Jif, never Skippy

Goober grape beats em all?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

Chunky Jif, never Skippy
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't know about that Campfire Time. That's kind of like saying I can use a different cheese on Macaroni and I will never like Kraft mac n cheese again. It's just not going to happen. ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

ha ha, cheese snob indeed. If I want to make grilled cheese with American Cheese, it is never the individually wrapped cheese, but instead the pre-sliced block.

Same difference.

Seriously. Do yourself a favor and make a grilled cheese with Colby or a 5 year cheddar. You'll never make one again with American cheese.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
As said anything you have a taste for. I'd use pepper jack, or Colby. Or both. If you want a real treat try some Gouda.

ReneeG wrote:

really good quality American cheese.

Oh my. I'm not opposed to a slice of this once in a while, but that statement is an oxymoron. It's cheese food, not entirely real cheese, but processed. And even the "best" American cheese can't be called quality. It would be like saying "good quality mashed potatoes from a box".

Then again I'm from Wisconsin. I was raised a cheese snob. ๐Ÿ™‚

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
As said anything you have a taste for. I'd use pepper jack, or Colby. Or both. If you want a real treat try some Gouda.

ReneeG wrote:

really good quality American cheese.

Oh my. I'm not opposed to a slice of this once in a while, but that statement is an oxymoron. It's cheese food, not entirely real cheese, but processed. And even the "best" American cheese can't be called quality. It would be like saying "good quality mashed potatoes from a box".

Then again I'm from Wisconsin. I was raised a cheese snob. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
The best cheese is the one YOU like best!

Ding, ding, ding......winner winner chicken dinner

Ding X4!

But with that said, the traditional cheese for a Patty Melt is a good, really good quality American cheese.

Shortie3
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is/was that I like ALL cheeses but wanted to know the best. Thanks to all who replied: guess I will keep on using what I currently have on hand! I have noticed, though, that swiss seems to slide all over the place, but love the flavor of what sticks! Since I live over 20 miles from a grocery store, I only 'run' to town when absolutely necessary. Again, Thanks to each of you.