cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Gear Leveling Jacks Leaking

David_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 19 year old National 35' SeaView (Ford) and the jacks are leaking. Mechanic says Power Gear seal rebuild kits are no longer available for this age of jacks. Quoting $1400 each for new. Any options anyone? Appreciate any help...
---

David & Sharon

'Little' David (age 13, 6'2") and Samson (long haired Chihuahua)
2000 National RV SeaView 8341
Ford V-10, Dual Slide

_
11 REPLIES 11

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
FWIW, I use 4x6 blocks, 2x4's, and 1 by stock to build a platform up as close to the jack as possible before I deploy them. I figure(maybe wrong) that it keeps wear on the motor and seals to a minimum. Sometimes my jacks only deploy an inch or two. I figure it can't hurt at least.

jacks run at about 3000 PSI. making extension blocks changes nothing on the Hydraulics. What it does do, is give you more lift. Doug

Thanks Doug, I've had the jacks lift the wheels off the ground with my Greyhawk. I suppose I'm trying to baby a system that doesn't need babied.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
T18skyguy wrote:
FWIW, I use 4x6 blocks, 2x4's, and 1 by stock to build a platform up as close to the jack as possible before I deploy them. I figure(maybe wrong) that it keeps wear on the motor and seals to a minimum. Sometimes my jacks only deploy an inch or two. I figure it can't hurt at least.

jacks run at about 3000 PSI. making extension blocks changes nothing on the Hydraulics. What it does do, is give you more lift. Doug

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Songbirds wrote:
WOW, what interesting fixes to HYDRAULIC LINES. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet an get them repaired correctly.

Understand, if you should do some crazy patch job and are in an accident and it is learned you did a patch JOB, your Insurance may no longer be so friendly. Moreover, if the patch job in any way contributed, to the accident. But whatever you do make sure you can live with the outcome, no matter how it goes down. Do the right thing you will sleep better.

What does your post have to do with HYDRAULIC JACKS????? The OP has LEVELING jacks leaking, NOT lines. Doug

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, what interesting fixes to HYDRAULIC LINES. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet an get them repaired correctly.

Understand, if you should do some crazy patch job and are in an accident and it is learned you did a patch JOB, your Insurance may no longer be so friendly. Moreover, if the patch job in any way contributed, to the accident. But whatever you do make sure you can live with the outcome, no matter how it goes down. Do the right thing you will sleep better.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Bruce_Brown
Any decent hydraulic shop can fix it. If it turns out not,to be a standard size seal (doubtful), any size seal can be made. At work we use Expresseal.com .

If you were closer I'd say stop over, I'll rebuild it for you. I just finished up one of my own cylinders.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

kvh4636
Explorer
Explorer
Try spraying silicone spray on the cylinders. You may have to do this several times. All I can say is it worked on the jacks on my 1999 Pace Arrow.

MrWizard
I recommend blue devil hydraulic leak stop

Blue devil

My right rear jack was leaking
I mixed equal parts blue devil and transmission fluid, used that to top off/fill up the reservoir
That was last December , no leaks. Holds pressure. Working great
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on how much leak, but we spent 1.5 years in the desert and ours started leaking quite a bit. Figured the dry climate may have dried out the seals, so we bought a bottle of Bar's Leaks Automatic Transmittion Repair - 2 part at Walmart, ( $8.88/red one side, yellow on other side of bottle) Put it in , and after using the jacks a few times, they stopped leaking and were holding in the position we set for level. It's now been 3 months and still working.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Find a place where they repair hydraulic jacks a heavy duty construction rental house should be able to give you that information, any hydrawlic repair shop can fix them.

navegator