cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I know it's early and I'm planning ahead.

Kicking the idea of this fall or winter after the new style 2020 HD's come out of picking up a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500 SRW HD Duramax.

Cons:

- A model year old already when I buy it.
- Not the latest generation

Pros:

- Helluva lot better looking than 2020's - will NOT consider them.
- Hopefully considerably less $$ to make up for being an "old" new truck

I'm on my second Duramax/Allison (2013) and they have been good to me and I still like the looks of the current GM offerings. Ford and Ram are good as well but don't have the appeal to me as much for various reason even though they are all good offerings.

I was planning on and may still end up waiting another three years or so before purchasing a new truck BUT because of the following:

- I won't buy the 2020 generation GM HD trucks.

- I have a concern that maybe I am over thinking and that is the CP4 fuel pump that I have in my current truck and the new Fords and 2019 Rams have. The Chevy/GMC do not currently.

- I generally like to buy new because I can get into a new truck (diesel) for close to or slightly more than a 1-2 year old used one, why buy used if it's nearly the same plus a full warranty. At least that was my experience the last time.

My current truck I purchased for 11K below the sticker price and hopefully can do the same or better now that a new generation is coming out.

Then again maybe with the looks of the upcoming ones it will drive up the demand for the leftovers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thoughts??

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
29 REPLIES 29

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:

Kicking the idea of this fall or winter after the new style 2020 HD's come out of picking up a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500 SRW HD Duramax.

I'm on my second Duramax/Allison (2013) and they have been good to me and I still like the looks of the current GM offerings. Ford and Ram are good as well but don't have the appeal to me as much for various reason even though they are all good offerings.

I was planning on and may still end up waiting another three years or so before purchasing a new truck BUT because of the following:

- I have a concern that maybe I am over thinking and that is the CP4 fuel pump that I have in my current truck and the new Fords and 2019 Rams have. The Chevy/GMC do not currently.

- I generally like to buy new because I can get into a new truck (diesel) for close to or slightly more than a 1-2 year old used one, why buy used if it's nearly the same plus a full warranty. At least that was my experience the last time.

My current truck I purchased for 11K below the sticker price and hopefully can do the same or better now that a new generation is coming out.

Then again maybe with the looks of the upcoming ones it will drive up the demand for the leftovers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thoughts??

Dan

You asked for thoughts. What is wrong with the truck you got? Why must you replace it this year or in 3?

Nothing wrong with current truck, great shape and gets the job done. Though there are some nice changes with the '20's I'm not crazy about them overall. Just thinking there may be a deal to be had on leftover 19's not only being end of year but an "old" generation that may be worth the jump. If I can't score a nice deal that's worth it I'll wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out and bypass the Chevy and consider the GMC that's all.

Dan

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our 05 is sitting in our garage waiting for the trip south and I can't wait to drive it again. Can't get excited to keep up with anybody

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I've been interested in the new GM's mainly because I could get by with a single rear wheel but would like some cushion in the capacity. Ford or GM both work for me but the new GM 20's look like they will have a little better capacity in the single rear wheel models.

I did a comparison of 19 vs 20 3500 crewcab, single rear wheel, standard (short bed) diesel. Not sure if this is enough to change your mind on the 19 vs 20 debate but it does appear GM has stepped up the capacities some. The wheelbase increases from 153.7 to 158.9. GVWR goes from 11,500 to 12,100 (I did see 12,250 and 12,500 also but going with the lowest). The GCWR goes from 25,100 to 29,700. The bed length goes from 78.86 to 82.2 inches. Couldn't find anything on the 19's but the 20's can tow up to a 21,300 pound fifth wheel. Mine weighs 15,500.

The pricing is also now available. I priced out a 2020 Denali on nadaguides.com. Ouch but I said ouch when I got the Ford, twice.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pitch wrote:
Why are your cons,cons?
Are you a fan boy that needs to show off the latest and greatest?

Jealousy at its finest....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammerboy wrote:

Thoughts??

Dan

You asked for thoughts. What is wrong with the truck you got? Why must you replace it this year or in 3?

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Why are your cons,cons?

So...I must be a 'fanboy' because I got the Denali and every option available? Some do that to show off, but not everyone. I wanted the nicest I could get, as I keep mine 8 to 10 years and no payment. I'm certainly a 'fan' of GMC, but I didn't buy it to show off. Sorry if I hurt your feeling when I drive by, but I worked my ass off for everything I have.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
Oh hell yeah. I'm so happy I got an '18, the '20's are horrendous at best. Some neat new goodies, but nothing even close to enticing me. I did get mine just as the '19's came out and got some discount. But I didn't buy it for resale (though the Duramax equipped models DO hold their value really well as do the high-end trims like the High Country and the Denali, which is what I chose. I may not have push-button start, but my truck turns heads toward it, not away from it. I think GM shot themselves in the foot...again.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
10 years down the road, resale on most any vehicle in general and diesel trucks in particular is influenced most by miles, condition, and whether it is "known" to be reliable or known for having major issues.
Short term resale is more about being latest and greatest.

Trying to predict long term resale with all factors included is akin to trying to pick winning lottery numbers. Better odds than the lottery, but not great odds.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Why are your cons,cons?

Latest and greatest? That is not me and that's why I'm considering a '19 model and NOT the latest and greatest.

Dan

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Why are your cons,cons?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Hammerboy wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
I think part of the equation as far as pricing goes will be do you keep your trucks a long time. Since your replacing a '13, I'd assume you don't keep them a long time. In that case I'd go with the newer body style, less depreciation since it will still be more current when you sell it. If you keep it 10-15 years the generation won't matter much.

I have a while before I decide, time is on my side currently. Yes a 2020 may be worth more than a 19' on resale in ten years but as I said in a previous post I would have to get a great deal on a 19' to more than offset that difference - maybe $10K less than a 2020? If so I doubt the newer ones will be worth near that much more in ten years than the current generation. And I don't know than answer yet.

Typically I would keep it 10 years but there are a few reasons like how long do I want to run the Duramax with the CP4 fuel pump to the 2020's are getting simply to big and long for my tastes. I would like it to fit the garage. 10 speed or not the current generation Chevy/GMC are sharp trucks and more than capable for my needs. Who knows, If I really like the new 2020 GMC HD's in person and cannot score a 2019 I will wait a few years until most of the bugs are gone.

Dan

I don't follow your logic if a bargain is what you are after? Why wait? In a few years I don't imagine they will be getting cheaper. As time goes on a 2021,2022, or even 2023 truck will cost more than a 2019.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I think part of the equation as far as pricing goes will be do you keep your trucks a long time. Since your replacing a '13, I'd assume you don't keep them a long time. In that case I'd go with the newer body style, less depreciation since it will still be more current when you sell it. If you keep it 10-15 years the generation won't matter much.

I have a while before I decide, time is on my side currently. Yes a 2020 may be worth more than a 19' on resale in ten years but as I said in a previous post I would have to get a great deal on a 19' to more than offset that difference - maybe $10K less than a 2020? If so I doubt the newer ones will be worth near that much more in ten years than the current generation. And I don't know than answer yet.

Typically I would keep it 10 years but there are a few reasons like how long do I want to run the Duramax with the CP4 fuel pump to the 2020's are getting simply to big and long for my tastes. I would like it to fit the garage. 10 speed or not the current generation Chevy/GMC are sharp trucks and more than capable for my needs. Who knows, If I really like the new 2020 GMC HD's in person and cannot score a 2019 I will wait a few years until most of the bugs are gone.

Dan

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ While this is typically true, my take is, as long as the economy remains solid, ultra popular vehicles, especially good diesel pickups, aren't suffering from the older model/worse resale factor.

That said, I'd wait for a second year of the new gen if I could wait that long, mostly for the 10 speed.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up