cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We in input on a New Brunswick/Nova Scotia trip

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning our first 3 week trip in our new Travel Trailer to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in September and I'm not sure if I we have too much planned. So far we've taken two shorter trips a two night trip to beach and a three day trip to Gettysburg and all went really well. We have a one week trip planned for August.

Without going into too much detail, we are planning to drive from Long Island to Portsmouth NH and spend 2 nights there and see the sights. Then we head of to St Andrews CA where we'll spend 3 nights, this gives us 2 days to tour. Then we're planning to head to a campground north of Moncton where we'll stay 4 nights and see Hopewell Rocks and Prince Edward Island. After that we head to Mabou on Cape Breton Island and we're staying 2 nights. Then we head to Halifax, where we are spending 4 nights. The its off to Fredericton where we'll stay 2 nights Then we're headed to Bar Harbor for 2 nights and then we're headed to friends how where we will spend a couple days before returning home.

Once in Canada we plan to keep our driving time from site to site no longer 4.5 hours, with most being around 3 hours (according to Google Maps). We're planning to sight see the local areas on the days we don't travel or don't travel too far. My wife thinks that we may be doing too much set-up and take downs and she may be right. Is it unusual to only spend a 2 or 3 nights per site?

We haven't made any reservations yet, so nothing is cast in stone. So feel free to give your opinions. I also want to check the route for RV hazards like low bridges and such, it may change.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
Great places to visit! Be sure to use some of the Provincial Parks. Great to get up in the morning look across the lake and see a moose move in and out of the mist. Go into PEI on the ferry on the east end and exit on the bridge on the west end. Plenty to see and visit. Ron
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
downeastr wrote:
Beer's topic is right up our ally.
I would like to get opinions as to the need for daily reservations during this time period (Sept4 - 18). Including NB, PEI & NS.
Or can we "wing it" without too much competition using All-Stays?

You'll have no problem getting a site those dates.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the present situation, but in the past the Quebec construction workers all got the same 2 weeks off in the summer, campsites were few and far between in the maritimes during that period. Something you may want to check.

downeastr
Explorer
Explorer
Beer's topic is right up our ally.
I would like to get opinions as to the need for daily reservations during this time period (Sept4 - 18). Including NB, PEI & NS.
Or can we "wing it" without too much competition using All-Stays?
John
'07 Navion "H"
Maine

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing yourself a disservice by doing a day trip to PEI. You are 2 hours from Moncton to Charlottetown. I think you will regret doing the day trip when you get there.

Hook up the trailer and head over for at least 2 nights. Between sight seeing, lobster suppers and theatre, you'll keep busy.

And if you are any kind of foody you may be interested in PEI Fall Flavours.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest staying overnight on PEI and not day tripping to it. I have been all over that area and drive times are slow as Matt stated.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Beer,

I like the plan, and I want to get back to the Maritimes myself, but be cautious using the drivetimes from Google Maps for other than a passcar. It is unlikely that you will average the speeds that they are using. There seems to be no means to adjust this. (Yes, I miss SA.)

Have a great time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
***************************************Fortress oF Louisbourg, Cape Breton *****************************

Yes, there are lots of things to do in both provinces but above is the most interests.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
No argument here, Bar Harbor is a great place to visit, we've been there many times.

Is there anyway to fix the typo in the thread title?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been in these area, except for around Bar Harbor- and plenty of people can spend 4-5 days just there. Like sunrise in Acadia then kayaking and touring the downtown area of Southwest harbor could be a full day.
I'd stop for that first night in Portsmouth and just walk around the harbor after dinner- spend time there on a weekend getaway.
I'd probably flip Cape Breton and spend more time vs. PEI because of the National Park.
All in all, it sounds like a great trip, and you'll probably be setting up camp in half the time after just a few days. Any place you go that time of year will have sunshine and cool nights, with leaves changing, and fewer crowds with kids in school. Enjoy the views and solitude!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.