cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using EZ Pass while towing

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to tow our Jeep behind our motorhome for the first time ever, and I realized, I have no idea about one thing-- is it possible to use our EZ Pass anymore when we go through tollbooths? The motorhome has an EZ Pass; so does the Jeep. But I am not sure they will register (or are legal to use) while we are towing.

Can anyone tell me the answer? We are supposed to go on our "maiden voyage" with a toad on Wednesday!

Thanks so much--
Debbie
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C
11 REPLIES 11

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
cross21114 wrote:

In many cases, the combined toll is more than each individually. So if you disconnected and pass thru the toll booth and then hook back up, you can save money in some states.

Sounds like a real PITA to save a nickel IMO?

It is but imagine the savings if you unhooked and drove separately through the entering toll booth on a turnpike, hooked back up to travel the entire state, unhook before going through the ending tool booth? Could be significant. Probably not legal if caught.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to FL (or have a SunPass) don't think you're ever going to see the refund for getting tagged by both passes. I was towing the car with a sunpass and went over the skyway bridge 2x.
Called them a few times before giving up (*it was only a dollar anyway)
"we have to check the video" just means "Don't pass go, you're not getting your money back"

You can go on the SunPass site and inactivate a tag and re-activate when needed.
Not sure if the same holds true for EZPass. We have an Ohio EZPass on the RV only and just move it to the car if needed.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:

In many cases, the combined toll is more than each individually. So if you disconnected and pass thru the toll booth and then hook back up, you can save money in some states.

Sounds like a real PITA to save a nickel IMO?

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Make sure you remove the toad's E-ZPass and store in the shielded bag so both tags don't register. The NY Thruway E-ZPass Motorhome Plan requires a separate tag available when you send in the application and a copy of your registration.

www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

To further explain - both passes will register. The RV will carry the tolls of the combined unit and then an additional charge for the toad will be charged. We take the Ezpass off in the toad and put it in one of the special foil bags they provide to prevent the double hit.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you remove the toad's E-ZPass and store in the shielded bag so both tags don't register. The NY Thruway E-ZPass Motorhome Plan requires a separate tag available when you send in the application and a copy of your registration.

www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
In California I just drove through the cameras and they figured it out, just do it and enjoy yourself. If they send you a note just explain it to them, don't overthink it.

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help, everyone! It sounds like we can use just the MH pass while towing for now, and when we get back, I can apply for a MH-toad pass like phil-t has (my tags are also from NY, as are his.)

I appreciate everyone's help!
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have a NJ EZPass and have used it for years. Towing, not towing, never had a problem in any state. Just keep the account full with funds - you pay per axle! DH even checked with the state DOT and received a letter (a number of years ago) stating that its use with a TOAD was acceptable in case there was ever a question.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I got my EZPass from New Jersey years ago. When I registered it online, I think I remember there being a spot to check or something that a vehicle may be towing. Been using it for years, so far no issues with me towing or not towing.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not have the FL pass on the MH but do on the toad. I'm not sure how that will register so we are going to not use the toll road while bringing the toad. The only problem area will be the toll bridges in Louisville on I-65. Will need to see how the bill comes in the mail. Since it will be forwarded from home I know it will be late and will also need to deal with that.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the state where purchased.
In NY, we have 2 passes for the MH. One for travel with MH, alone; and one for travel with the MH while towing. The one we have in the toad needs to come down and in protective bag. NY has a pass specifically for RVs. (better rate).
I find it odd that different states have different pass requirements,when the passes are used in multiple states.
2014 Allegro 36LA