Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 In-Motion Satellite Question

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks,

I am looking at RV's and have my eyes on a local 2006 Hurricane. Went to look at it today. It has an in-motion satellite installed, although the current owner states he has never used it, or attempted to use it. He has owned the rig the past 7 years.

My question is would this age in-motion system support today's Dish Network technology?

Thanks for you insight.

Keith
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan
13 REPLIES 13

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it makes you feel any better I have a dome on my roof I haven’t used in years.

Buy a Pathway X2 from Winegard. $400. Get a Wally or 211z sat box.
HD, auto align. Works great. Roof units get blocked by trees too much for me.

DISH is easy to get along with in an RV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I consider myself to be very lucky(at least at Standard definition) because I have a King Dome in motion that is old but still works quite well and an even older Datron auto seek stationary Dish on the roof that still is very functional, the Datron is more than likely the original installed on the '96 coach!! Amazing, right?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course he hasn't used it. They don't work. 🙂 I had one on our rig and it never worked as advertised. Finally trashed it and had the Trav'ler installed. Good investment...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Squealers wrote:
Hey Folks,

I am looking at RV's and have my eyes on a local 2006 Hurricane. Went to look at it today. It has an in-motion satellite installed, although the current owner states he has never used it, or attempted to use it. He has owned the rig the past 7 years.

My question is would this age in-motion system support today's Dish Network technology?

Thanks for you insight.

Keith

Most domes of this era will NOT work with DISH but will still work with DirecTV (there is no HD currently available with a dome user and DirecTV).
When DISH changed the way they broadcast their signals it had a very negative effect on RV dome usage. Generally, a dome manufactured before 2013 should be considered questionable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Squealers wrote:
Hey Folks,

Keith

Likely no. Dish changed some things a few years later (not sure when) and the older in-motion domes may well not be able to lock on

UNLESS they have a software upgrade.. Mine (Also a 2006) can not be upgraded by software.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would anticipate that you will either need to or want to replace it. We have a 2004 and when we got it 6 years ago, we tried to get our dome to work but never could. We decided to just go with an external dish and have been glad we did since we do not have to worry about trees blocking the signal.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
14 year old technology on a RV Dome will probably not work for Dish, especially HD. Even current Dome Technology, requires the DOME to move between 3 Sats for HD and SD reception on DISH Network. Does the RV have HD TV's? Doug

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
We are using one older than that
In motion is great even though it is standard def .
HD is great but not that absolutely necessary to us .
You realize you can still get over the air and cable for HD
With that I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to get it
to work .

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys, I was figuring it was a long shot with HD. I will be fine with over the air signals and cable at campgrounds!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If he's never used it...you might ask about the Control Unit which should be inside the MH someplace. If not finding another might be difficult if they are not universal. Oh...the Control Unit should have the Model number on it.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
yup. and once you have that a call to DISH is your best bet. i'm betting that a dish that old is, at best, a std def single lnb (1 sat at a time) model. you might have trouble finding a receiver that will be compatible. but it will all start with mfg make and model.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
you'll likely need the mfg and model number to get an answer.

Sounds good, I will see what I can get from the owner. Otherwise, should he not have the paperwork I guess a trip to the roof is in order to pop the cover?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
you'll likely need the mfg and model number to get an answer.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle