cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does 30+ feet actually effect ability to find space

Aftertheloop
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve read that some camp grounds do not accept RV longer than 30 feet give or take. If that’s true, how much does that actually get in the way of finding camp sights? Is it really a consideration when buying a RV? I’m looking at a 34 foot class A for general travel all around the country.
25 REPLIES 25

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on where you want to camp, RV parks are no problems however if you want to camp in a NP like Glacier or Yellowstone it is really a numbers game. There are some sites that will accommodate 40 ft MHs most will not, so if you plan your trips well and stop early enough you may find availability. The advantage of a shorter MH is that you will find more sites available to you. Most NFS CG's usually have larger sites and are less crowded than the NP's and can usually accommodate larger MH's.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Aftertheloop wrote:
I’ve read that some camp grounds do not accept RV longer than 30 feet give or take. If that’s true, how much does that actually get in the way of finding camp sights? Is it really a consideration when buying a RV? I’m looking at a 34 foot class A for general travel all around the country.

Probably the least of the issues you'll encounter along the way.
In fact, you're more likely for wanting to move up to a larger unit, if anything.
Just give it a lot of thought for buying your last one first, is all I'm saying here.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s been my experience that the potential problem is usually the person in the front left seat.

I’m being completely serious when I say that I’ve been asked, numerous times, to help people get their rig to a GAS PUMP.

If they can’t get to a gas pump, I can certainly believe they’d have issues in narrow park lanes and tight spots.

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 36'motorhome for 12 years and never had a problem finding a space. This includes state and federal parks.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
Executive wrote:
Keep in mind it's not the size of the PAD that's important. Rather, it's the size of the ROADS getting to the site. You don't bend in the middle like a fiver or a bumper pull so those posters with a 40' trailer differ from those with a 40' motorhome. That said, west coast is more forgiving than east coast. We're 45' and found we fit in most State and Federal parks. At least those WE want to stay at. YMMV....Dennis

X2. Also, one piece of advice I got that helped avoid a lot of trouble is to keep an eye on the tree bark as you go into a park. Crunched trees indicate a really narrow access point

X3 - started with a 36' then 38' then 40' (actually 42) and now a 42" (actually 43' 11"), never a problem in the northeast (Canada and US). Of course I do look for "Big Rig Friendly" so no issues. I might have to travel an extra few miles but always find one within my intended driving range.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I HAVE A 34.4 NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM sorry caps locked on.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Keep in mind it's not the size of the PAD that's important. Rather, it's the size of the ROADS getting to the site. You don't bend in the middle like a fiver or a bumper pull so those posters with a 40' trailer differ from those with a 40' motorhome. That said, west coast is more forgiving than east coast. We're 45' and found we fit in most State and Federal parks. At least those WE want to stay at. YMMV....Dennis

X2. Also, one piece of advice I got that helped avoid a lot of trouble is to keep an eye on the tree bark as you go into a park. Crunched trees indicate a really narrow access point
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 years ago I made the mistake of believing the 36’ Max for public CGs and during the summer we stay mainly in USFS CGs that do not take reservations. As you can see below I got a chuckle out of your question and that’s why I posted.m
I do get stares when I pull in as most big rigs are afraid to.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We don't stay in pay to play campgrounds very often but length has only been an issue in one park in Ventura, CA. The issue we have found is width. By the time we put our slide out and the neighbor puts his slides out doesn't leave much breathing room.

State and Federal campgrounds have not been an issue with PADS but rather as Executive said the issue has been with the ROADS or access to the pad.

I am 36' with the MH but I typically have a 20' TOAD or 20' trailer that needs wide turns.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I find some campgrounds on the west coast have length limits. MY 33' MH has a decal under the drivers window that says "30W". Don't ask, don't tell.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are 36' pulling a 10' trailer and have never had a problem. We have been full-time for 9 yrs now. However, if a campground says 30'max on their website or info, we just look for another campground, maybe go a little further, stop a little sooner, but have never been without a site.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have been in state, city, and COE parks where 40’+ would be no problem. And we have been in some where it would be difficult to get 35’ into. Most have some number of longer sites, with many more sites shorter ones. If reservations are allowed, the larger sites go first. Likewise if the park is first come first serve the longer larger sites go first. Waiting til the last minute can be a problem at a popular park.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
we, like many others have never been turned away. the real difference seems to be over 40'.
many places we have been our 40' has no problems, but a 43' would be a squeeze.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.