Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Android Tablet Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Android Tablet Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently, my iPad was stolen and I purchased a new RCA Viking Pro android tablet, although I certainly prefer the iPad. My question has to do with using a stylus to highlight sentences on the screen. I find that when I attempt to move the stylus along the sentence in order to highlight it, the page tries to turn, so it's impossible to highlight anything. Is there any way to temporarily lock the page on the screen to allow highlighting? If I can't get it to work, I may just need to spring for a new iPad, although I do like the android tablet, otherwise. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Ed

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know your brand but on both my Moto4 and my Samsung Galaxy tab I can lock the screen. Just pull down the drop screen and the icon for screen lock is there.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your reply, stickdog. Keep in mind I'm using an android tablet, not a phone. Swiping down from the top of the screen only reveals some notifications, nothing about locking the screen.

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found that if I use the stylus with a lighter touch, the highlighting works. However, the tendency is still there to turn the page. So, if I can find a way to lock the page so it doesn't turn, it would be a plus.

sempka

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on tablet I get 2 markers when I want to copy I find that I need to use the bottom tip of the marker to highlight.

2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Thanks for your reply, stickdog. Keep in mind I'm using an android tablet, not a phone. Swiping down from the top of the screen only reveals some notifications, nothing about locking the screen.

Mr Ed, my phone and my tablet are both Android and the icon s are the same on both and can be accessed from the front top of either device.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have that tablet but don't use it much. Try this. Long press and the word you press on will highlight with a couple of comma shaped things at either end. Drag one of them to get the rest of the sentence.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I have that tablet but don't use it much. Try this. Long press and the word you press on will highlight with a couple of comma shaped things at either end. Drag one of them to get the rest of the sentence.

I just wish highlighting was as easy as on the iPad. I could press fairly hard and the page wouldn't try to turn. I want to be able to run my stylus along an entire sentence and cause it to highlight without highlighting individual words.

BTW, my android tablet is an RCA Viking Pro, which is otherwise a pretty decent device for the money (I paid around $80 at Walmart).

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About what I paid for mine. But as I said on my Android phone I press on the first word and it will highlight. Sometimes it grabs and entire sentence. Then I adjust the "commas" to what I want. Just like you want to.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its NOT about pressing hard or light
its about 'touch TIME', it is a different OS
its no harder to use, once you get used to it

touch any word for a second or two
then adjust the highlight section for what you want and choose copy delete etc..

you are used to doing touch and swipe using the apple OS

with android .. touch an swipe, with out waiting for the highlight is turn page/slide screen

same gesture different response

you have too change (get used too) to using the android gestures NOT the apple gestures you are used too doing

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Android Tablet Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS