cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Power Problem

ShotgunWriter
Explorer
Explorer
HELP! We need help with a power/electrical issue in our 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador.

Went on a little trip over the weekend. We always travel with a dash camera, that is powered by a portable inverter that plugs into our cigarette lighter in the dash. We also had one cell phone plugged into the inverter. Generator not turned on.

After a few hours of driving, the inverter started beeping and had a "low battery" indicator. We turned it off, as we were almost home.

As we arrived home we discovered that we have power to outlets, microwave, and TV, but not lights or washing machine. This happened once before, but our house batteries were just low. Charged them up, and everything worked just fine.

This time, however, after charging, we still have no power. Batteries are reading full according to voltage meter. All fuses and breaker switches have been checked. Husband says large inverter is good, because he hears it come on, click on as it's supposed to, and it charges the batteries.

We have checked the water level in the batteries and took the batteries themselves to Auto Zone to get checked. All checked out at 100% charge and around 6.5V.

What are we missing? Why do we have no power? And what do we need to do differently in the future to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance!
Julie & Bobby Marburger and Tobie the fluffball
www.shotgunwriter.com
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
19 REPLIES 19

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
dobbler98 wrote:
ShotgunWriter wrote:
WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Hubby did a lot of homework and figured out that it's a failure of the solenoid for the battery cutoff. We had checked the switch before, but this was controlling the switch and everything else DC. So glad! Thanks for your input!

Where is the solenoid at or what does it look like? Iโ€™ve already replaced the switch. Thanks

Its just a relay. Itโ€™ll have 2 little wires and 2 big wires going to it. It could just have 1 little wire if its grounded by where its mounted. Follow the clunk sound, mine is up front near the engine bay because thats where my batteries are.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShotgunWriter wrote:
WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Hubby did a lot of homework and figured out that it's a failure of the solenoid for the battery cutoff. We had checked the switch before, but this was controlling the switch and everything else DC. So glad! Thanks for your input!

Back when the words "Warranty" still meant free fixes my Battery cut off solenoid failed to re-connet Oh the thing disconnected ok but when I pressed USE... NOTHING.

Disconnected switch. cycled it like 50 to 100 times re connected all good (Switch is self cleaning.. provided you actually use it)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dobbler98
Explorer
Explorer
ShotgunWriter wrote:
WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Where is the solenoid at or what does it look like? Iโ€™ve already replaced the switch. Thanks
2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 30PDD
Usually pulling one of my toys :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That happened to me as well. Only it was the switch
Solenoid CLUNKED on STORE but not On USE.

I was able to clean the switch and restore normal operation no cost.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you found ad corrected the problem.
Wildmanbaker

ShotgunWriter
Explorer
Explorer
WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

www.shotgunwriter.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok you have two or 4 devices to check
ONE: Battery disconnect switch (Salesman switch) IF this is off the INVERTER will still likely draw power but...... The alternator, and the converter (if seperate from the inverter) can not charge.

If on shore power the inverter CAN charge but with the switch off it's the only thing that has power.. And that folks is my #1 with a bullet suspect. The salesman switch.

#2 is the isolator IF house lights come on once engine starts the isolator is good and the Salesman switch is lifted even higher

#2 now becomes a circuit breaker or the master fuse (Reverse polarity) Described in a prior post

But I'd check that salesman switch

IF it is a 3-position spring loaded marked USE/STORE push USe and listen for a CLUNK. No Clunk ask and I'll take you to the next step
IT can also be labeld "AUX" and may be either a 3-position (CLunks) or a toggle (may or may not clunk) But that's my guess. Salesman switch OFF.

Oh where is it. Can be on Dash or on a control panel somewhere. But often is on the wall in the step well where you can reach it standing on the ground.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
ShotgunWriter wrote:
Malexander , do you think it could be the inverter, even though it appears to be working properly? (Charging the batteries, clicking on and off with power source change, breaker switches working?) I'm really hoping to not buy an inverter right now. My savings account has taken some pretty big hits this month.

If you've checked everything with a volt meter, (I had) and everything is checking normal, the inverter is really all that's left.
My 12v lights would sort of "fade" in and out. I should say my CONverter/charger was bad. It bench checked just fine, ie 120VAC in and 14VDC out. But when a load was applied, was when things would go south.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would like to know why you have a cell phone and dash camera plugged into an inverter that is plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I plug my cell phones and dash camera directly into the 12 volt outlet. Why convert 12 volt to 120 volt and back into usable voltage for the phone and camera? Am I overlooking something?
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ShotgunWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Malexander , do you think it could be the inverter, even though it appears to be working properly? (Charging the batteries, clicking on and off with power source change, breaker switches working?) I'm really hoping to not buy an inverter right now. My savings account has taken some pretty big hits this month.
www.shotgunwriter.com

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if this is of any value or not. But, I was having an electrical issue in a 5er once. Dimming lights, some things not working, no power to a/c controls.

I'm a licensed plumber & electrician, so do all my own maintenance and troubleshooting. My electrical problem turned out to be a "ghost" in the inverter, it "sort-of" worked some of the time. I replace it, and all the problems went away.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
All the stuff that you listed as working are 120v appliances. This leads me to believe it is in the 12 V side. Start at the battery and check the voltage. Usually there will be a large fuse before the inverter and the rest of the house wiring. If thereโ€™s power past that then look for the battery disconnect relay. Keep checking until you find where the power is no longer passing. Another quick thing you can do is press the emergency start switch up in the dashboard. Make sure everything is off except a few lights. Depending on where that relay is wired may tell you where the problem is.
FMCA member

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shotgun, you say your hubby checked the breakers. Did he turn the OFF completely and turn them back ON? Same with fuses. Use a meter to check them. Sometimes breakers and fuses look ok when they aren't. From what you posted as not working, my guess would be a bad breaker. That said, everything that's not working appear to be water based so you might have a GFCI that's tripped.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ShotgunWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and thanks for your help so far. To give more info...

We do have a large, permanent inverter near the battery compartment, and a smaller, portable one that we plug into the dash receptacle so we have 2 outlets for devices that don't have cigarette plugs.

Husband bought 4 new batteries today. No change in status.

We had flickering lights when we used the water pump this weekend while boondocking.

When we switch from shore power to generator, the large inverter changes from a humming noise to a single click and then no noise.
Breaker switches located on large inverter turn various things on and off. Two switches that each control half of RV.

We have checked every breaker, fuse and switch we can find. Husband is continuing to go through every nook and cranny looking for one of the above.

The following are items that are working or not. There is no change with the generator vs. Shore power:

Cigarette lighter receptacle in dash NOT
House lights NOT
Both TVs WORKING
Microwave WORKING
Water heater NOT
Water pump NOT
Fridge (residential, only uses electric) WORKING
A/C no power to controls/thermostat to turn them on
Power outlets WORKING
Washer/dryer NOT
Cargo lights NOT

Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming!