cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing fake leather sofa sleeper

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Kodiak TT which came with a tri-fold sleeper sofa. It has that fake leather which has started to flake and crack. We would like to get another tri-fold fabric sofa sleeper to replace it. Recovering the existing one with the Sunbrella fabric my DW wants is more expensive than buying a new one. For those of you who have already done this, what did you get and from where? Thanks for the info and happy camping.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
7 REPLIES 7

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cavie, You are right on the money! We had the same thing going on with the fake leather in ours too. We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and went to the clearance area. Found a Flexsteel power reclining in REAL leather for $399 (regular $1500) and the backs remove. Went in the 5th wheel slick as a whistle. Only had a couple mars on the back that were very minor Zero clearance recline so it works perfect and is very good quality unlike the RV bunk it replaced.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have found that it’s cheaper to replace the whole sofa sleeper than to recover it. Even cheaper is the DW finding a slip cover on Amazon that fits perfectly and goes with the color scheme in the TT. Since we hardly ever use the sleeper sofa for sleeping this will work out fine for now. The cover was only 30 bucks. Thanks for all the replies.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Our sleeper sofa(loveseat)was also cracking and peeling very bad,so much so that I had covered it with a throw most of last year. I also looked into recovering it but the cost was more than I could justify considering how cheaply the thing was built.
While surfing Craigslist last week I found an RV power loveseat, less than a year old in need of a new circuit board. The seller was giver a new set under warranty. and he only wanted 100.00 for the old one. He told me Lippert had a 6 week wait on the circuit board and he traveled for work,so they just replaced the whole thing.
I have an email in to Lippert to order the board(less than 50 bucks!)

A $900.00 unit for $150.00 plus change.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
My current sleeper has a L bracket attached to each front leg and to the floor. My door is also 26” wide.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
no need. old one was not secured.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
How do you secure the new one?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
there is nothing special about RV furniture. Measure and go to local firuniture store. I replaced mine foldout with a duel recliner love seat from Ashley furniture. I helps getting it in if the backs come off as many do. I used a sawsall to cut up my old one to get it out.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.