cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 3 way fridge

chrismct
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 1999 Holiday Rambler vacationer with the stock Norcold fridge. The fridge should run on AC when hooked up to shore power or the gennies running correct? I get error codes of F and A, checked the fuse and is good.....kinda stumped at this point.
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
DFord wrote:
The "true" 3 way refrigerators aren't around any more. I'm not sure when they stopped making them though.

They were able to operate on propane, 120v or 12v. The heaters were 12v and there was step-down transformer to run them on 120v power.

NO RV 3 way absorbsion fridge has a step down transformer. They have a 120 element for 120 operation and a 12 volt element for 12 volt operation. They still make 3 way RV refers, they are used in small B and B+ vans. And some Truck Campers.

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
They still make 3 way fridges. https://thenorcoldguy.com/n3150-5-3-cubic-ft/
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Can you find the model of the refrigerator, I think the identification label is inside the refrigerator door. With the model we can probably get you some better ideas what to check.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
definitely pull the outside panel off and take a look. Just use a nickel or quarter to turn the latches 90 degrees and pull out. There should be a 120v household style outlet behind the door. Make sure the refrigerator is plugged into this outlet.

The refrigerator requires 12v DC for both AC and DC operation so check all the fuses in the breaker panel as well as on the back of the refrigerator. If the refrigerator is plugged into the RV check the outlet for power or try unplugging it and running a separate extension cord from the house to the refrigerator.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
most need a 12v battery ,even when on shore power.

The 12v power is needed to make the control board work. Without it, nothing will work.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The "true" 3 way refrigerators aren't around any more. I'm not sure when they stopped making them though.

They were able to operate on propane, 120v or 12v. The heaters were 12v and there was step-down transformer to run them on 120v power.

Interesting. MY 3 year old truck camper has a Dometic 3 way in it. Propane, 12 volt or 110 volt and no transformer. The boiler has a 12 volt Mullion Heater and a 120 volt Mullion heater.

Of course it's coming out this year and getting replaced with a Marine Dometic compressor fridge.

Tired of the inefficient gas fridge.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:

Interesting. MY 3 year old truck camper has a Dometic 3 way in it. Propane, 12 volt or 110 volt and no transformer. The boiler has a 12 volt Mullion Heater and a 120 volt Mullion heater.

Of course it's coming out this year and getting replaced with a Marine Dometic compressor fridge.

Tired of the inefficient gas fridge.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most need a 12v battery ,even when on shore power.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO just run your fridge on propane.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
F is no pilot light or no gas to system. ensure you have gas and also that you have either the Button on Auto or Electric. Post back, will find you a troubleshoot chart in a sec.

The A is no AC to the unit. Ensure it is plug in. Take the panel off the back on the Outside and ensure it is plug in. Also you will have to bleed the air out of the system to get it to light the first time. Turn on a cook top burner and light it and at lease two more and let them run for a few minutes. Post back

Do you have 110 volts to the rest of the RV. TV, Microwave.

https://100refrigerator.com/norcold-refrigerator-error-codes/