Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Max Tongue Weight?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Max Tongue Weight?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
cccougar

Cherry Hill

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,
I know 10-15% should be tongue weight when towing. My question, is there a max percentage for tongue weight? If loaded trailer weighs 7000 and there’s over 1050 (15%) on the tongue , is this a problem assuming truck payload, axle weight on truck etc all within limits? Is it safe to assume towing will be a little better the more weight there is on the tongue?
Thanks

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, 15% will tow nicer than 10% in most cases. I don't think you will improve towing going heavier than that. You don't say why the tongue is so heavy, or what the TV is, but if within limits, all should be well.

Jerry

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cccougar wrote:

Hi All,
I know 10-15% should be tongue weight when towing. My question, is there a max percentage for tongue weight? If loaded trailer weighs 7000 and there’s over 1050 (15%) on the tongue , is this a problem assuming truck payload, axle weight on truck etc all within limits? Is it safe to assume towing will be a little better the more weight there is on the tongue?
Thanks

Not an issue with a bit more tongue weight as long as you are within your ratings. Too little tongue weight leads to sway issues but never heard of any issues with more.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I put a car on my car trailer, I always pull it forward all the way. My truck has plenty of payload, so I wouldn't care if it was 20% or more...the more, the merrier. Within reason of course, I'm not putting a pallet of lead over the front of the trailer and leaving the rest empty.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I move a lot of construction equipment with my PU and can usually adjust the amount of tongue weight by where I center the machine. Recently had so much tongue weight to where the brakes on the front of the PU would just slide the tires...very little stopping power so YES, you can have too much tongue weight. Fortunately only had to move it a couple miles going slow.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming a weight distributing hitch and everything else is within ratings...no problem going heavier...this is why 5th wheels tow so nice...they are typically at 20-25%...semis run around 50%.

The trick is your hitch is not typically rated for enough to get 25% unless it's a little utility trailer.

If the front tires are coming off the ground (or getting so light you can feel it), I can guarantee, something is not within ratings.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

cccougar

Cherry Hill

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. Just thought I’d ask since I hear so much about the 10-15% guidelines.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 01:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cccougar wrote:

Hi All,
Thanks

Take a look at your hitch on the truck. The hitch on my F150 w/ HD package indicates it can support a 11,500# trailer with a 1150# tongue weight as long as a WDH is used. Without a WDH, the truck hitch itself will support only 5,000# with a 500# tongue weight.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no max. limit on tongue weight except for the payload capacity of the tow vehicle and WDH rating. Our TW is close to 15% and it tows great. Zero sway but there's much more than just TW to reducing sway.

Higher TW may mean you need to go to a higher rated WDH & spring bars and the more weight that needs to be transferred back onto the steer axle.

I'll take a higher TW any time.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

There is no max. limit on tongue weight except for the payload capacity of the tow vehicle and WDH rating. Our TW is close to 15% and it tows great. Zero sway but there's much more than just TW to reducing sway.

Higher TW may mean you need to go to a higher rated WDH & spring bars and the more weight that needs to be transferred back onto the steer axle.

I'll take a higher TW any time.

Receiver rating as well, AFAIK no half ton has a receiver rated over 1,200 pounds and the max with a 2" class iv is 1,400. Also it's possible that there's a Max rating for the A frame, though getting to it without exceeding gvrw on the trailer would probably be hard.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Max Tongue Weight?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS