cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on what vehicle to pull 18-20' trailer?

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our older Class C and looking at used trailers from 16-20' and now want to shop for either a PU or SUV type tow vehicle. We spotted a used 2007 Forest River 19' trailer, dual axle, (Salem model), GVW on sticker says 7,440lbs, that's attractive. Anyone care to comment on Forest River trailers, please do. Thoughts on a older (2005-2010) Durango/Yukon/Tahoe/Excursion vs a used PU for towing? We are on a budget to keep vehicle cost under $15,000. Thanks in advance for advice.
13 REPLIES 13

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a new forest river flagstaff, trailer GVWR is 6500 lb. Tows well w/ my 5,0 V8. I'm sure a F250 would be better, but I don't want to drive a 250 around town for days at a time. I love my 150. Very quiet and smooth ride.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info from everyone and I thank you all. APT, thanks for the heads up on the GMC van as I can certainly use the extra space. Lots of homework to do.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Full sized Passenger Vans are great values! 2010+ GM Express/Savana 3500 with 6.0L and 6-spd will be great as a tow vehicle.

If you insist on half ton SUVs, get a 2009+ GM/Ford with 6-spd auto. Same with pickups.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
As most have noted, it is your payload that is most likely your limiting factor (especially in the SUV category, or older PU's). A 7,500 pound trailer will put 900-1,100 pound on the tongue. Add a couple of full grown adults, and a WD hitch, and you've already used the payload of most full-size SUV's. Watch those numbers if you go that route - you're likely to be better off staying a bit lighter.

As for SUV vs. Pick-up - that's all about usage. We have 3 kids, so a 3 row SUV was our only reasonable option (short of a HD van). Once the kids aren't travelling with us, I will move to a pick-up in a heartbeat.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'll chime in and say that you should try to keep your total trailer weight closer to 6000 lbs, then pick your truck or SUV. Get the newest one with the biggest engine offered. I would try to stay closer to 2010 than 2005. A fair amount of improvement happened over that time for just about all half tons, truck or SUV. With a properly set up weight distributing hitch, even the lighter SUVs (Durango) should have no problem.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
An honest car salesman replied when I asked about a SUV for a tow vehicle, "Forget it, we have enough trouble keeping them right side up when empty". Modern pickups drive good and can be equipped to make towing fun instead of challenging. Besides, there "might" be a 26 footer in your future.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a forest river, I sold forest river, I worked on forest river products. I will never own one again. salem is an entry level model. when I had my forest river I towed with a 1/2 ton then a girl hit my truck so I bought a 3/4 ton. man what a difference in towing experience. like night and day difference. I'll never tow with a 1/2 ton again

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '01 and '07 Tahoe. Handled a 5000 pound TT just fine. Current Tahoe could do 6000-6500 easily...all provided you don't load the TV to heavily to stay within payload. 2015's payload is 1595 but can't remember the other two. Watch the rear end...get the 3.42.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
BIIIIIIIG difference between an excursion (3/4 ton) and a Durango (mid size ,1/2 ton)

id go with a modern half ton, any flavor you want (I like the ford Kool-Aid). watch your payload it will be your limiting factor and varies greatly model to model.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Have a look at the door sticker for maximum tow capacity then take 80%. If the trailer is within that you are good to go if the tow vehicle is properly set up. You can go higher but after our first towing experience I don't recommend it.

Door stickers don't have towing capacity.

I would recommend a full size vehicle of some kind, not the Durango. Any of the other SUVs you've mentioned would probably be fine.

$15k would buy 2-3 SUVs capable of towing the trailer you seek to tow.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay half ton, get an F150 with the max payload and max trailer packages. It should have plenty of payload and the 3.5ecoboost will pull better than most v-8s .

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a look at the door sticker for maximum tow capacity then take 80%. If the trailer is within that you are good to go if the tow vehicle is properly set up. You can go higher but after our first towing experience I don't recommend it.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer

Was trying to post pic of sticker, but don't know what I'm doing.