cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Barely Heating

carlislefamily2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Puma 32RKTS. We took it out for the first time in about 2 years this past weekend. I connected the 50 amp power. After I attached the city water and got the hot water tank full, I turned on the electric portion of my gas/electric water heater using the on/off button on the outside of the trailer on the water heater. I waited about an hour. When I turned the hot water faucet on, it would feel warm for only a couple seconds, then it would turn cold. The gas part of the water heater would never light, even after a few attempts. Gas on the stove works fine, so I'm pretty sure the gas isn't an issue. I did a continuity test on the water heater heating element and it has continuity according to the multimeter.

Any ideas? Thanks...
15 REPLIES 15

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Bypass valve (as stated)

or

Inside or Outside shower valve open with hand wand closed (hot and cold mixing)

outside shower valve open with handwand and hose removed is what happened to us last month. lukewarm water. after the last trip we had in february i "red neck" winterized. blew compressed air to empty lines which is what ive always done living in north carolina. we have mild winters and we use TT 12 months a year as weekend warriors. i had never thought about it but a quick google search on forums showed the open faucet as a possibility.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yeah as Flakjacket said, when the cold valve is closed the water bypasses the water heater and you get exactly what you described. Remember there is a one way valve on the hot outlet of the water heater so the cold water is hitting the closed valve and going up the blue bypass tube and out the hot tube.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

flakjacket
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, cold water bypassing the water heater.
2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

carlislefamily2
Explorer
Explorer
I went today and looked at the way the piping is set up on the hot water tank. I have a cold line in and a hot line out and they both have shutoff valves. There is a blue pipe between them but no shutoff valve. Upon inspection, I noticed that the valve on the hot water pipe coming out of the hot water tank was open, but the cold water valve was off. Maybe this was the issue?

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
You may have fallen victim to the infamous failing control board, especially if it's an Atwood WH. They have had a bunch go bad and have replaced them with ones built on this side of the Pacific.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Is the relief valve hot if you open the access door and touch it?

Are the winterizing valves set correctly?

Are the valves off on the outside shower?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, IF the 120 side is working and you have a full tank of HOT water, The LP side WILL NOT FUNCTION. The Tstat/s have been satisfied and the heating modes will not come ON. When you have your type problem you go to the Water Heater and open the POP OFF valve. If you have HOT water come out, your water Heater is functioning and you need to find the BYPASS valves and set them for correct use. Doug

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if it a suburban heater, turn the gas switch on and go out to the face of the heater, take the cover off and wiggle the electric connections. it should fire right up

carlislefamily2
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone, much appreciated...

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
carlislefamily2011 wrote:
where would the bypass valve be located? Do you mean the hot water tank bypass that I close when winterizing to avoid antifreeze getting in the hot water tank?

Yes....

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually the Bypass valve is a 1-2 or 3 valves Now i've seen them in various places but .. Find the back side (inside of the RV side) of the water heater. FOLLOW the lines from the water heater.

IF you have a single valve (I doubt it) you will find it, it is a 3 way valve and there will be a check valve in the HOT line at the heater (The 3-way is in the cold line)

2 valves one in hot one in cold and a pipe between them

3 Valves (What I have) the lines are "T" fitted before they get to the inlet and outlet valves and then another "Bypass" pipe has a valve in it

USE means the inlet and outlet valves are open. bypass closed

Bypass reverses that

THe valves often have Oval shaped handles and if the LONG AXIS is along the pipe that is usually (but not always) OPEN.

SUSPECT 2: The Showers.. Mixing valve open and head cut off closed. Same symptoms.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

carlislefamily2
Explorer
Explorer
where would the bypass valve be located? Do you mean the hot water tank bypass that I close when winterizing to avoid antifreeze getting in the hot water tank?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Bypass valve (as stated)

or

Inside or Outside shower valve open with hand wand closed (hot and cold mixing)
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toddupton wrote:
Bypass valve is open

Yep. I believe that is the answer
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road