cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surprise, AZ to Page, AZ

yellowschoolbus
Explorer
Explorer
We wound like to travel from Surprise AZ to Page, AZ on Highway 89. We have a 40ft class A (gas)towing a Jeep Cherokee. What is the grade? We want to see Bryce Canyon
6 REPLIES 6

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sedona Update:

Just returned from a 4day/3 night trip up to the Mogollopn Rim at the Sharp Creek CG. We spent two full days riding some of Arizona's finest roads on my Indian Springfield including yesterdays backroads ramble through Payson, Pine, Strawberry, Happy Jack and on up to Flagstaff. Since we had come that far it only made sense to take a run down 89A from north to south through Oak Creek Canyon and on into Sedona for a late breakfast.

As we negotiated our way down the many tight twisties {15 - 20 mph advisory curves} of the north end of the canyon I realized I had forgotten just how tight 89A is. There was a ton of bumper to bumper traffic and the temp climbed steadily to 85 by the time we hit downtown.

Our last ride down the canyon was at 0800 with not a single vehicle between the top of the canyon all the way to Sedona, and yes I took full advantage enjoying one of the finest rides of our lives... but I digress. :B

Downtown {we arrived at 1130} was wall to wall tourists with virtually no parking to be found anywhere. On my second lap around the business district, I chanced upon a car backing out and lucked into his spot. We attributed much of the crowd to it being Easter Break for many and in 25 years of visiting Sedona, we had never seen such a mob.

If you are going, go early and grab the first parking spot you can find. Navigating the many {many, many} traffic circles is a challenge on a bike, doable in a car or truck but a serious PITA for anyone fool enough to try it in all but the smallest of RV's. Sadly perhaps one driver in ten has a clue who has the right of way and those" Yield" signs are just there just for grins... don't get me started. :S

After another fine breakfast at the WP Cafe {purported to be the oldest restaurant in Sedona} we did a little window shopping and then geared up and got on down the road taking 179 out to the southeast to connect with I-17. A better route would have been to head south to Cottonwood which avoids the worst of the congestion.

It was 95 by the time we reached I-17 and stayed there until we were able to retreat up 260 eastbound on the 31-mile climb up and out of the Verde Valley {another road that is a lot more fun going down than up in an RV}. It has lots of passing lanes but most are very short. {Keep in mind this was yesterday folks, April 25th}. If you want to see hot, try that area in the summer!

The top of the grade got us back into the low 70's and return ride was as spectacular as the first half. Even saw one small patch of snow at something north of 7K'. Lots of rain and snow last winter and the lakes in and around Flagstaff are at 20-year record highs. Most of the campgrounds won't open until the middle of May. Snow Bowl at Mt Humphries is doing land-office business and expects to keep the ski runs open through most if not all of May.

The entire area is gorgeous beyond words but choose wisely on when you go and be prepared to see lots of folks.

:C

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
" If you are thinking 89a from Sedona then there is a grade and switchbacks before it reconnects with I-17. "

Don't even think about it. Vehicles 50' or over in any combination are prohibited on 89A from Sedona north up through Oak Creek Canyon {for a number of very good reasons.} It is a great, gorgeous road for the Toad or TV and on a motorcycle, it is nothing short of awesome.

I did it in my 33 footer towing a Tracker at the time. Can't tell you about the scenery, but my wife could. I was too busy staying on the road. :E

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
" If you are thinking 89a from Sedona then there is a grade and switchbacks before it reconnects with I-17. "

Don't even think about it. Vehicles 50' or over in any combination are prohibited on 89A from Sedona north up through Oak Creek Canyon {for a number of very good reasons.} It is a great, gorgeous road for the Toad or TV and on a motorcycle, it is nothing short of awesome.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you 2oldman. I wondered how to get elevation on Google maps.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps: page to surprise (bicycle)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going on I-17 up to Flagstaff and then 89 towards Page? If so, no problem. If you are thinking 89a from Sedona then there is a grade and switchbacks before it reconnects with I-17.

From Flagstaff all the way to Bryce you wonโ€™t have a problem. I pulled a tt with my F150 and did it with ease.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow