cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram outsells Chevrolet.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I read somewhere that Ram outsold Chevrolet half tons and GM is pissed. Is this fiction, or why haven't I seen any posts about this?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400
71 REPLIES 71

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
LMAO-ROTF got to love RV.NET!

First you all know that I was a blue oval guy owned seven of them with the last four being service department queens. My 1990 was bought back by Ford and I was given a 1991 that had the paint peel of the hod the second day I owned it! Treaded it two weeks later for a 1992 Ford Aerostar, great van if you could get by the AC compressors X4 and the 3.0 engine with the rod knock that Ford knew about and told their dealers to replace if the customer complained BTW I did. Then the 1992 Ranger that with less than 500 miles the oil pump drive gear failed. I requested a new engine do to a rod knock after the oil pump was replaced and the dealer told me it's a two year lease Ford won't replace it! My other three Fords were great but they dated back to the eighties. So please don't tell me how great Ford is, I know better and I know people who work for Ford.

As for rust, they ALL rus if the owner doesn't take care of them! Fords are known for rear cab corners, tailgates, rear wheelhouse lip, bottoms of doors and rear windows. GMC, same areas as Ford but add in fuel door. FCA, again same as Ford except no issues with rear cab corners or rear window. If you live in the salt belt or along the coast line and you do not have your vehicles rust proofed and wash you vehicles at least once a week in the winter then shame on you!

All the manufactures make a competitive product, it is how they and their dealerships handle these problems that makes or breaks them. For me Ford screwed the pooch and it cost them a once loyal customer. My father worked for GM for over thirty years and when it came for a truck he bought and still owns a 1991 Dodge Ram 350 dually. No rust and the only major repair was the tailshaft on the manual trans at 60K miles. This was due to a undersized .030 oil hole that the repair shop opened up to .125. even though Dodge knew about this they did not pay for the repairs!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Or the Frontier price for fleet use is the best.

Speculation.

A lot of pickup fleet orders are government orders. Most municipalities, federal, state and provincial agencies use tenders to get the best deal on vehicles and when it comes to pickups, mid size trucks such as the Frontier, Colorado, Tacoma pickups etc...are rarely bid on. The pickups that these organizations use are generally full size half ton and some 3/4 or 1 tons.

In fact, I can't recall the last time I saw these midsize pickups in any fleet. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying they are not common in fleet orders.

The reason Nissan Frontiers are still selling reasonably well for an older design is value to the regular consumer and small business owner who may want a smaller pickup. Because they have been essentially unchanged since the 2004 model...the prices have remained lower than the other competitors, which have introduced new generations of trucks in this particular market.

The Frontier range and quality, albeit older, is very good, going from a basic, 4 cylinder (yes, available with a manual or automatic transmission) truck...to a number of other levels... to the Pro4X 4WD off road package that is still, despite it's years, very competitive in features and ability to more recently introduced competitors.

To reinforce the Nissan Frontier competitiveness, I have linked a TheFastLane Truck video which tests the Frontier, Ridgeline, Canyon and Tacoma for your interest. The video dates from 2017 and these featured pickups are relatively current with their 2019 line ups.

TFL Mashup, Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline Canyon competition

The City of Idaho Falls has some Canyon's. I spoke to them about it and they really like them, but the fleet assistance from GM on the Canyon's is not near as attractive as the full size halfton. There is only $500 difference in price so they order more full size for that reason. The Canyons look better to the taxpayer, being smaller they look more economical but the reality is they are nearly the same price. The mpg since they are driven exclusively in ton is not that different either. So this may be another reason you don't see as many midsize pickup in fleets.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lessmore wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Speculation.

A lot of pickup fleet orders are government orders. Most municipalities, federal, state and provincial agencies use tenders to get the best deal on vehicles and when it comes to pickups, mid size trucks such as the Frontier, Colorado, Tacoma pickups etc...are rarely bid on. The pickups that these organizations use are generally full size half ton and some 3/4 or 1 tons.

In fact, I can't recall the last time I saw these midsize pickups in any fleet. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying they are not common in fleet orders.

The reason Nissan Frontiers are still selling reasonably well for an older design is value to the regular consumer and small business owner who may want a smaller pickup. Because they have been essentially unchanged since the 2004 model...the prices have remained lower than the other competitors, which have introduced new generations of trucks in this particular market.

The Frontier range and quality, albeit older, is very good, going from a basic, 4 cylinder (yes, available with a manual or automatic transmission) truck...to a number of other levels... to the Pro4X 4WD off road package that is still, despite it's years, very competitive in features and ability to more recently introduced competitors.

To reinforce the Nissan Frontier competitiveness, I have linked a TheFastLane Truck video which tests the Frontier, Ridgeline, Canyon and Tacoma for your interest. The video dates from 2017 and these featured pickups are relatively current with their 2019 line ups.

I agree most fleet trucks are full size vehicles and typically purchased near a dealership in the event a warranty repair is required. About the only place I'll see a Nissan truck in the form of a fleet sale is a Hertz rental store and even then they're scarce.

The bottom line $$$$ is the primary reason.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Speculation.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Much more likely answer.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
We'll See wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:

Looking at that data, it is amazing how many Nissan Frontiers continue to be sold. That truck hasn't been updated in forever...

Reason it sells so well, good price, rugged, tough, all bugs worked out, excellent engine...torquey 4 liter V6, can get a manual 6 speed if you want, Dana 44 locking rear axle on the Pro4X version.

A lot of truck buyers want these features. Not every one wants the newest, especially since the oldest (Frontier) works so well.

My son bought a new Pro4X new in 2017. In two years of ownership, nary an issue.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go back 5 to ten years and the same people will be posting the same old tired brand post as they are here.
Lots of wrong information then and the same now.
Funny how brand biased folks are.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Traded my 2015 CC Silverado 1500 for a 2018 Ram CC 2500. Both are 4x4. $5700 off sticker for the Ram. Including a $500 bonus for switching brands.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll See wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:

Looking at that data, it is amazing how many Nissan Frontiers continue to be sold. That truck hasn't been updated in forever...

The Frontier numbers are probably cumulative. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:

Jeep and Explorer

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
It's your money so buy what you want and I don't care what you want. I just care about what I want.

quoted for truth!
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
It's your money so buy what you want and I don't care what you want. I just care about what I want.