cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dog food for old dog

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
What he seems to like, (15 year old lab mix) and will eat the whole bowl of wet dog food down, if it is topped with a raw egg. ( which he would not prior to this)

Yes, I read the pros and cons of the raw egg thing, but end of the day if it gets my old buddy to eat well, I will take the risk of salmonella.

What do you think Dr doug
29 REPLIES 29

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
I have BSL 2 lab work training and experience (testing human blood and serum samples). When your job entails developing new tests for biomarkers in human blood and serum samples you learn about pathogens and minimizing exposure risks.

You can read about the 4 bsl levels here
https://consteril.com/biosafety-levels-difference/

PhD in chemistry
25 years work experience as a research scientist at a biotech firm that develops, manufactures, and sells 100s of diagnostic tests used by pharmaceutical companies in drug development and research foundations for investigating human diseases.

Enough expertise for you?

Somebody's underwear is a little too tight!

Actually I would say his responses have been very well thought out. He obviously has the knowledge to defend his position and may be the most educated poster on this topic.

There is lots of unwarranted push back on a raw diet. Good to see someone so educated share his thoughts.

Oh no, having an advanced degree myself, I appreciate an educated response. Its just that Mr. Bionic Man self promoted and was snarky, which was uncalled for. Others who responded in the thread most certainly don't have expertise, just anecdotal comments.

Guess that's egg in somebody's face, ROTFL

BTW - Amen to the "sanrky"...:R

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
I have BSL 2 lab work training and experience (testing human blood and serum samples). When your job entails developing new tests for biomarkers in human blood and serum samples you learn about pathogens and minimizing exposure risks.

PhD in chemistry
25 years work experience as a research scientist at a biotech firm that develops, manufactures, and sells 100s of diagnostic tests used by pharmaceutical companies in drug development and research foundations for investigating human diseases.

Actually I would say his responses have been very well thought out. He obviously has the knowledge to defend his position and may be the most educated poster on this topic.

There is lots of unwarranted push back on a raw diet. Good to see someone so educated share his thoughts.

Oh no, having an advanced degree myself, I appreciate an educated response. Its just that Mr. Bionic Man self promoted and was snarky, which was uncalled for. Others who responded in the thread most certainly don't have expertise, just anecdotal comments.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:

Mark does indeed know what he's talking about (and has the training and experience to back it up)!!! I value his input and our differences here are academic and minor.

Just sayin'

I'll admit that I burst out laughing to think that Mark's expertise was being called into question....LOL!!! I appreciate the VERY well-balanced views both of you bring.

Last night on TV there was a woman who was licked by her dog on an open (minor) wound and got sepsis and an infection that I would have to look up - they admitted that it was extremely rare. She lost both legs and both hands as a life-saving measure - and they showed her letting her dog lick her face after all that. I think I would rather "die-by-dog" than go through life without any.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
BCSnob wrote:

PhD in chemistry

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

PhD in chemistry

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
My rescue girl is regularly fed raw farm eggs (might be dramatically different than grocery store). Dogs digestive tracts are more acidic than ours. I do not worry about contracting anything. Oh and she is a raw fed dog...healthy coat, not aggressive (LOL on that one), her teeth are WHITE not brown and she loves her food.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
BCSnob wrote:

Mark does indeed know what he's talking about (and has the training and experience to back it up)!!! I value his input and our differences here are academic and minor.

Just sayin'
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

PhD in chemistry

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! So many self-appointed dog food and micro-organism experts here in this forum! Who would have ever guessed. Dr. Doug, of course, does know what he is talking about, and should be listened to.

dturm
Even dogs 100 percent inside carry microbes. Some are more virulent and dangerous than others. No argument here.

My point is that the risk is not ZERO, there is a real risk when Salmonella is introduced into the environment.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your dog is 100% an inside dog it is already carrying lots of microbes; think about what dogs eat, lick, smell, walk on, lay on, etc .... Regardless of if we purposely feed them raw eggs or meat. A dog owners environment is already โ€œcontaminatedโ€. The increased risk is more likely from the handling of pet food that now needs the extra precaution like handling raw ingredients in the kitchen; wash hands and bowls after feeding raw unlike when feeding kibble.

Lee is a greater health risk to me after unloading sheep from our stock trailer at the livestock auction (where all the other livestock were unloaded) then after eating raw eggs. What microbe filled areas have your dogs been in (dog park, animal trail in the woods, static water, under a picnic table used by many people, etc).

When we have fed raw meat, we fed it outside. Raw eggs are fed in crates. Direct exposure of raw feed to surfaces in the house is minimized.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
BCSnob wrote:
I canโ€™t see how the human health risks associated with feeding raw food to dogs is any different than the human health risks associated with handling raw meat and eggs in the kitchen while cooking. One just needs to pay attention and clean the surfaces exposed to the raw ingredients, be it in the kitchen or where the dog eats.

While weโ€™re on the subject of risks associated with feeding raw eggs; donโ€™t forget about the risks of eating raw cookie and cake batter.

Think about the surfaces contacted while your dog sleeps: floor, bed, couch, your lap. They lick themselves and us. We know the surfaces contacted during cooking and prep. Your whole environment may be contaminated by a dog carrier of Salmonella.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t see how the human health risks associated with feeding raw food to dogs is any different than the human health risks associated with handling raw meat and eggs in the kitchen while cooking. One just needs to pay attention and clean the surfaces exposed to the raw ingredients, be it in the kitchen or where the dog eats.

While weโ€™re on the subject of risks associated with feeding raw eggs; donโ€™t forget about the risks of eating raw cookie and cake batter.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M