cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 JL wrangler 2 door

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone set one up for towing yet. My Jeep is on order and will arrive mid May. My concern is the wiring for the taillights. Haven't found a harness yet that plugs in, the only one so far requires splicing. Splicing into a brand new vehicle makes me itchy.
21 REPLIES 21

Y-Guy
I wish I could wave a wand and make photo posting easier, but alas I have no magic wand.

However, one of our mods created a Webapp that made it much easier. It uploads photos directly to IMGUR.com servers. Automatically resizes photos to the max recommended by the Open Roads Forum. Includes a thumbnail preview, and also provides an optional link to permanently delete the photo. The WebApp is available at http://photoposting.is-great.net

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
I agree with your statement. I wonโ€™t be hauling bikes. There is a link that you can drop photos then copy the link and post it on a thread. Not being at home I canโ€™t send it to you, at the race in Vegas this weekend. Working off my phone ??. In the past your suggestions helped me a lot, keep up the good stuff hadnโ€™t seen you posting in awhile .

Klutchdust
If you're addressing me, I appreciate the nice comments. Yep, I know about a site or two that you can store photos on to be able to link on here. I do have at least one of those photo hosting sites. I think it's calle "Imagur" or something like that. I'll dig around and find it. I do have some stored on it. On IRV2, and almost all other forums I belong to, it's just an easier process to link photos. No biggie.
Scott

This is what I use.RV.NET: Photo Upload & Post

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I agree with your statement. I wonโ€™t be hauling bikes. There is a link that you can drop photos then copy the link and post it on a thread. Not being at home I canโ€™t send it to you, at the race in Vegas this weekend. Working off my phone ??. In the past your suggestions helped me a lot, keep up the good stuff hadnโ€™t seen you posting in awhile .

Klutchdust
If you're addressing me, I appreciate the nice comments. Yep, I know about a site or two that you can store photos on to be able to link on here. I do have at least one of those photo hosting sites. I think it's calle "Imagur" or something like that. I'll dig around and find it. I do have some stored on it. On IRV2, and almost all other forums I belong to, it's just an easier process to link photos. No biggie.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Lots of folks don't like cutting into a brand new wire harness.
It is much better, safer, easier to install a completely independent tow light system.

It's only "better and safer" if you don't know what you're doing. There's probably thousands and thousands that have utilized the factory tail light bulbs as toad lights. As I stated earlier, it's seriously easy to do, with Jeeps that are not of the really late years, like around '14-'15 and up. The "JLs" are even more different than the later JKs. I wouldn't even think about tying into the JL lighting system. Even Jeep is having a hard time developing a harness for the new JLs.

But, for the early JKs, TJs, YJs and even the CJs (which are really not flat towable without precautions), I know many, many folks that never even thought twice about tying into the factory harness. Also, as stated earlier, I have yet to see any Jeep that's had this style of wiring done to it's tail lights, go up in flames. Again, it's all up to your skill level. If one doesn't trust their own work, then walk away from it. Pretty simple.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
My idea of the thin, vertical LED stop/turn/tail lights fastened to the hard top is just that right now, not cemented in stone, or plastic YET! But, as stated, when the bikes are on the back, any lights that are NOT HIGH are almost completely blocked to following drivers. When the Jeep's being towed, the bikes are on the back, every time. So, I'd rather develop something like my idea than go unsafe.

What each person does for lighting, is of course up to them. I'll definitely post pics (although it's a pain in the a... on RV.net as opposed to other forums).
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good ideas so far. What I will not do is fasten anything to the hardtop .I ordered the Jeep with steel bumpers so magnetic lighting with an independent wiring system is an option. It will have the tow package so using the tow hitch and fabricating a light bar that goes into the receiver then plugs into an add on receptacle seems doable and neat.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Curious to see what you come up with!

send me a PM for email address I'll send you pictures
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Y-Guy
FIRE UP wrote:
mount some really nice, THIN, vertical LED stop/turn/tail lights right to the vertical pillars of the rear of the hard top. If done correctly and with a bit of finesse, It's gonna look and function flawless. That will get the lighting up higher for way better viewing from folks following us when we're towing and carrying the bikes.
Curious to see what you come up with!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks don't like cutting into a brand new wire harness.
It is much better, safer, easier to install a completely independent tow light system.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with tying into the factory wiring for using jeeps tail lights as toad lights, UNLESS, it's the newer model JKs and JLs. Both have vastly different wiring than the previous models and, the '18 and newer JLs, have LED tail lights. They also have side mounted range finders in the tail lights for blind spot recognition.

Soooooo, tying into those models tail lights by the old fashion way with diodes IS OUT! I've done the "old fashion" way of tying into the tail lights on oh, maybe 30 or 40 Jeeps and not one of them has ever gone up in flames because I did it that way. This is one of those things that, if your skill level is up to par, you'll have ZERO issues doing it that way. If you're not sure what you're doing, then either add sockets and bulbs or, leave it to a pro.

The JKs, from '07 (first year for the JK) through oh, about maybe '12, is fine wiring them with simple diodes. From about the '14s up, you're better off using the Hopkins model of wiring harness. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the Mopar version and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY simpler to install.

If you're blowing diodes in ANY FORM of regularity, then somethings not wired right. I've had simple Radio Shack diodes in one of our toads, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab now ever since 2011 and guess what, THEY'RE THE SAME DIODES I installed way back then and, the truck's got probably around 20,000 miles of towing on its clock. Hasn't burned up yet. And those diodes cost me a whole whopping $3.50 for a four-pack at Radio Shack.

Now, on our other toad, the '15 JKUR, I'm using the Hopkins unit and like stated, it was cheap, about $45 if I recall and it's been in there for 2+ years. But, I'm thinking of changing my thought pattern here. We haul two bicycles on the back of the Jeep and, for the most part, those bikes pretty much cover up the Jeeps tail lights. NOT GOOD! So, I'm thinking of going to plan B.

And that is to mount some really nice, THIN, vertical LED stop/turn/tail lights right to the vertical pillars of the rear of the hard top. If done correctly and with a bit of finesse, It's gonna look and function flawless. That will get the lighting up higher for way better viewing from folks following us when we're towing and carrying the bikes.

Then there would be no need for the Hopkins unit after that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen several that the extra lights mounted on the fiber glass hard top. looked pretty nice.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
I used the mopar wiring harness for our 2014 and 2015 JK Jeep wranglers. They are a little bit of a pain to install but they work very well. I'm not sure if they have them for the JL Jeeps.

Read some other forums and mopar hasnโ€™t come up with one yet.
As was suggested here, I am going to wire an independent system in , just not sure where the lights will mount. I have some gear head friends that will come up with some nifty ideas.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the mopar wiring harness for our 2014 and 2015 JK Jeep wranglers. They are a little bit of a pain to install but they work very well. I'm not sure if they have them for the JL Jeeps.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)