cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need the lowdown on Super C's

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wife and I were talking last night about plans to full time in the next 2 years when our son goes to college. I work remote so I can be anywhere. Formerly we've always had Class A gassers. Which are fine for short and infrequent trips. But gasser class A's are LOUD, and rough on the F53 and in our price range relatively cheaply built and not something I would want to full time in. I considered a DP but the cost and the fact that my wife would refuse to drive one nixes that. No offense but I've never been drawn to gas class C's. So in terms of what we are looking for I am pondering Super C's but I really don't know much about them. I feel like DW would be ok driving a Super C and they seem to fit the bill in terms of quality and durability for full timing. Looks like there are a few brands that make them but I'd prefer to stay away from some lower end models. From what I can tell, dynamax and nexus make the best brands in our price range ($150k). SO I would love to hear any and all information from folks in the know. Specifically, are they as easy to drive as I think, are they more quiet than gassers, reliability, full timing capability, best chassis and drivetrains, towing capacity etc. Thanks!
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
23 REPLIES 23

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ron.dittmer wrote:
way2roll,

I am telling you here more clearly now.........

Go to a local dealer (or private party) who has a Tiffin Allegro Breeze and a Super C and have your wife test drive each. Get her in the driver seat and feel each one out. If she refuses to test drive a rig, then take it off your list.

Our trips would be terrible if my wife would never take over when I need a break. It could eventually end up as a way of travel done no longer.

As far as a Sprinter is concerned, I personally don't like the expensive baggage & maintenance that comes with the comfort, but people who have them, love them. So just maybe that is an option on your table. A Sprinter can't exceed around 25 feet in length so keep that in-mind.

I hear you on the Breeze. I looked at those but never drove one. I guess I always thought that if I were going to spend the money on a DP I would go bigger. I always wondered how the short wheelbase would handle on that A, but folks that have them seem to love them. DW is pretty adamant she will not drive an A despite what you and I know. Maybe I should have feigned an injury to force her to drive ours, but gasser A's can be a beast and make you anxious. I am used to it but to a newby it can be a white knuckle experience and I think ours does fairly well compared to others I've driven. I think she's pretty set on the driving feel of a C whether that's a super C or Sprinter. I like space so..

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll,

I am telling you here more clearly now.........

Go to a local dealer (or private party) who has a Tiffin Allegro Breeze and a Super C and have your wife test drive each. Get her in the driver seat and feel each one out. If she refuses to test drive a rig, then take it off your list.

Our trips would be terrible if my wife would never take over when I need a break. It could eventually end up as a way of travel done no longer.

As far as a Sprinter is concerned, I personally don't like the expensive baggage & maintenance that comes with the comfort, but people who have them, love them. So just maybe that is an option on your table. A Sprinter can't exceed around 25 feet in length so keep that in-mind.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
zb39 wrote:
My wife has driven all of our RV's. 24' class C, 34' A, 40' DP, 45'DP, 33' super C, 37' 5th wheel and 3 different truck campers. She does prefer interstate only but has done some other roads also. I started her on the small class c and we worked our way up over 26 years.

She drove our gas Class C when we had one about 14 years ago. She would never drive our class A's even though they were small by Class A terms. Personally I find the A easier to drive despite the F53 being the beast it is but I could never talk her into it and I wasn't going to die on that hill trying. If my thinking is correct, a Super C seems to be the best in terms of what we are looking for. Easy to drive, track, plenty of towing capacity, safety etc.

That said, the other day she mentioned a small C on a Sprinter Chassis. I just put my head in my hands. Given my druthers I'd get a 42' DP and consent to drive 100% of the time and be done with it. On the upside, we have plenty of time to do our due diligence. One thing we can rule out is a Class A gasser, too exhausting and loud to drive more than a few hours a day. Gas C's can also take it out of you.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has driven all of our RV's. 24' class C, 34' A, 40' DP, 45'DP, 33' super C, 37' 5th wheel and 3 different truck campers. She does prefer interstate only but has done some other roads also. I started her on the small class c and we worked our way up over 26 years.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

My wife drives our Ghost, towing a SUV, with no problems. She didn't drive a Class A but felt funny sitting in the driver's seat. Besides the Ghost's GVW is 26,000# which does not require a Class B drivers license in our state. She only drives rest area to rest area and always under my pretty close supervision. Zeke also monitors both of our driving.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

My wife drives our Ghost, towing a SUV, with no problems. She didn't drive a Class A but felt funny sitting in the driver's seat. Besides the Ghost's GVW is 26,000# which does not require a Class B drivers license in our state. She only drives rest area to rest area and always under my pretty close supervision. Zeke also monitors both of our driving.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

js218
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^ Both my wife and daughter have driven my rig, other than the length both enjoyed driving it on the interstates.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi way2roll,

You had mentioned that you ruled out a diesel pusher because your wife would refuse to drive it. I would be concerned that a Super-C would be even worse for her. A class B+ is female-friendly, and the smaller the better. My wife is 5'-1" tall and is very comfortable driving our B+ because of it's domesticated feel and size. Our rig is also scaled-down by class-B+/C standards with a narrow and lower house body. PHOENIX USA makes them in 21 to 31 feet long. People full-time in them.

But if a class B+/C is definitely off your list, there is something else that your wife may be comfortable driving. It is a diesel pusher, but is tiny by DP standards with a narrow body, lower height, and tight turning radius. It is called a TIFFEN ALLEGRO BREEZE. They look huge in the pictures but are not huge at all. Review their exterior dimensions and you will see what I mean. They really are small. They are smaller than many class Cs at only 95" wide and 11'-8" to the top of the a/c unit. They are made new today starting at 31.5 feet long, but if shorter is better for you, you can buy a discontinued used model 28BR which is only 29.5 feet long.

They are well made as reflected in their new and used prices. They are surely worth a look. Your wife might really enjoy driving it, and maybe you will too. A Super-C chassis is a tow truck chassis. Think about it.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
ja99er wrote:
I bought a 2018 Nexus Phantom about a year ago. My wife and I had wanted one for a long time, and our family got tired of tent camping. We took it for an 8 week, 10,000 mile trip last summer, towing a Jeep, and it was amazing.
I don't have other RV experience to compare it with, but as a newbie I was comfortable driving it within a week.

I got it for way below list price, and then had a bunch of stuff done to it, and it still came in under your budget.

Part of the trip last summer was a stop at the Nexus plant in Elkhorn for a factory tour, and all I can say is I love my Phantom but envy the Ghosts.

Big change from a tent isn;'t it??
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Been full timing since 10/16 in my rig.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

ja99er
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2018 Nexus Phantom about a year ago. My wife and I had wanted one for a long time, and our family got tired of tent camping. We took it for an 8 week, 10,000 mile trip last summer, towing a Jeep, and it was amazing.
I don't have other RV experience to compare it with, but as a newbie I was comfortable driving it within a week.

I got it for way below list price, and then had a bunch of stuff done to it, and it still came in under your budget.

Part of the trip last summer was a stop at the Nexus plant in Elkhorn for a factory tour, and all I can say is I love my Phantom but envy the Ghosts.

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Have 12 years on a Kodiak based Seneca 34SS. I worked out of it for 2-3 weeks at a time and never felt claustrophobic but would never consider full time in anything including a 45 foot Class 8 conversion. But that is just me. We still have empty space both in and out we have never filled so storage has not been an issue. When looking for a rig I figured that one based on a commercial chassis made to be used, abused and driven by employees who did not care would be perfect. Hey, it’s a big old truck about as complicated as an anvil. You give it the care of a car with normal maintenance and tender loving care of a house and it will outlast the owner. Given the budget we had to work with back then I would not have made a different choice all these years later. It holds 80 gallons of diesel and I spend them frivolously without regard to economic cruising speeds. Get in, fill it up and go. I get the motor; she gets the home. And we are both happy. Pick he rig that will fit your needs and enjoy the ride.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
zb39 wrote:
Got back from MOAB. Another 4500 miles on the rig. Awesome ride and handling. I have been thru the rockies many times and in this rig, ZERO issues.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the follow up.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Got back from MOAB. Another 4500 miles on the rig. Awesome ride and handling. I have been thru the rockies many times and in this rig, ZERO issues.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride