cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires LT 225/75R16 load range E

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into replacing current tires, 5.5 yrs old on a E450.

Looking at Michlein, Goodyear, Cooper, Continental, Handcock.

They will be Out of Date long before tread wear is an issue.

Comments, suggestions, experiences would be appreciated.
Jim Hunter
22 REPLIES 22

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced the Michelins that were replaced on the recall several years ago. One of those replacements had a tread separation that I caught and the rest flatspotted and would not recover. They also showed the Michelin weather checking. So I am not that sold on Michelins. Anyway, I got Nexen Roadian CT8 tires that cost way less and have a much higher load rating with only 3 psi more. Got 'em at Discount. They run quiet, smooth and so far no issues.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my OEM Michelin LTS MS tires at about 30,000 miles, five years age, because of sidewall cracking. I replaced them with Michelin XPS Rib (not an all season tire) to get the heaviest-duty tire in that size and rating. Those cost me about $270 each almost 10 years ago, have not priced them lately. They are somewhat noisier than the OEM, ringing on expansion joints, and more tread noise on grooved or roughened concrete surfaces.

Earlier this month I replaced the OEM Michelin LTS MS2 tires on my E-350 van (same size and load rating) at 54,000 miles, six years of age, because the rear tires were getting down to the wear bars on center ribs (front still had about 1/3 tread left). Replacement was Bridgestone Dueler H/T (Bridgestone also makes/sells a similar Firestone Transforce HT2) which I got for about $140 each after Spring Tire Sale discount and trade-in allowance on the two still useful tires). I really liked the LTS MS2 tires, but Michelin has replaced them with a different model. I turns out I like the Bridgestones even better, much less tread noise on most highway surfaces. Can't say much about traction yet, I've just started to break the in, running a few hundred miles to scuff parting compounds off the tread.

There are a lot of other options, including Goodyear's Wrangler H/T, commercial grade tires from Goodyear and Bridgestone (market equivalent of Michelin XPS and just as expensive), lower cost tires from Michelin's BFG brand (Commercial T/A, I think), and many other brands, including obscure imports. This is a popular tire size for medium-duty trailers and local and regional deliver trucks, and some agricultural equipment. This means a wide range of options, differing compromises of cost vs performance needs.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found the following info because I have run Coopers on 5 of my vehicles.
I did my best to research it.

I think the truck tires are now made in USA again .

Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. China (since 1958) had produced about 300,000/year in a 2003 deal. They experienced tread separation which resulted in deaths in the U.S.

"* In 2003, Zhongce sealed a deal with U.S. manufacturer Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. to make 250,000-350,000 radial medium-truck tires a year. That deal ended in 2007".

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I "think" Cooper tires used to be made in the U.S. ... are they still?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I had this same conundrum, and went with Cooper Discoverer HT3's. Have about 10k miles on them and no complaints. If I'd done Michelins it would have been me and a friend doing the swap while busting and balancing all 6 in his shop garage. I got the Coppers for less money installed by a tire store than us doing the labor buying from TireRack. Very similar tread pattern to the old Michelin LTX's, but with solid ribs on the outsides.

I replace every 5 years, which is about 40k miles.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, the tires I just replaced were 7 to 10 years old. Not sure where the 5 year rule came from.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a local (not sure if Fed or Prov law) that tire shops can't repair a tire over ten years old. I found that out last year with the 1991 C we got that later had a nail in a back tire episode. They would not even use my spare, saying it was over ten. Had to get four new tires at the back (my choice instead of just one new one)

IMO a certain amount of common sense should apply rather than a dogmatic replace at 5 years. Those guys that put bags over their tires when parked must be thinking that. (But having a bag over your ten + year old spare won't help around here unless you do the tire replacement job yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin recommends yearly inspections after 5 years and replacement at 10 years for their entire line. They have a detailed write up here:
https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/do-I-need-new-tires.html

Our C rides on commercial grade all-steel cased Bridgestone Duravis tires and are about 5.5 years old. Not sure how long we will keep them, perhaps 8 years. Looking at the Bridgestone Duravis R238 as a replacement when the day comes.

Had the tires inspected and had one dismounted while looking for a slow leak. Perfect condition inside and out (suspect TPMS sensor for slow leak).
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hang in there Ron!

I personally feel that there's a bit of a fear factor that's common regarding RV tire life - which nicely helps the bottom line of tire manufacturers. Probably a lot of this comes from the TT and 5'er RV world - which does scare me because of the extreme loads that their small diameter and high-rotational-speed tires have to tolerate from the extra heat generated via sidewall flexing. Of course sometimes only four tires on the TTs and 5'ers ... instead of our six Class C tires ... are having to carry the load and absorb the sidewall-flex heating.

Since Michelin has changed the material formulation of their common LT Load Range E RV tires (now called their "Defender" line), it looks like their premature sidewall cracking problem has been solved.

Our Class C's Michelins are probably coming up on five years this year and like your even older tires, show no signs at all of "being old". I run a full 80 lbs. in the rear to keep heating at a minimum back there.

FWIW, my 4X4 pickup's tires are 10-12 years old and sill have gobs of tread left and no sidewall cracking or bulges, but they are a large diameter to minimize rotational speed, and about the heaviest loads they carry is only around 1/2 cubic yards of quarry rocks in the bed or the tongue weight of a loaded horse trailer. This truck sits out in the weather all the time - and it's paint job looks far older than it's tires.

Other than dry rot and the sun's UV rays, it's sidewall flexing and the subsequent generated heat that ruins tires ... and I'm thinking that the generated heat from travel may be the worst.

All IMHO, of course.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Ron,

While we agree on most things your continued use of 11+ year-old tires gives me the willies... I know you know better. Your operating load and storage conditions in no way mitigate the fact that tires time out. I hope I am wrong but IMHO: yours are a disaster just waiting to happen.

Given the critical interface between your rig and the road which = "tires' I cannot imagine pushing the envelope much less to such an extreme. I wish you luck but obviously you have already had your share...

But enough thread drift, go buy a new set of Michelins! :S

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:B
All is well between us Desert Captain!

I knew I had it coming while writing that my tires are turning 12 years old this spring. I hope you and all the rest of the gang understand that I am not trying to convince everyone to run their motor home tires anywhere near as long as I do. I am "extreme" in that regard and know it so, so much to the point of my embarrassment in mentioning it. But my storage situation is also out of the ordinary. I found it interesting that my garage smelled like new tires for the first seven years, the aroma specifically coming from the motor home. Maybe I am 4 to 5 years over-due.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron,

While we agree on most things your continued use of 11+ year-old tires gives me the willies... I know you know better. Your operating load and storage conditions in no way mitigate the fact that tires time out. I hope I am wrong but IMHO: yours are a disaster just waiting to happen.

Given the critical interface between your rig and the road which = "tires' I cannot imagine pushing the envelope much less to such an extreme. I wish you luck but obviously you have already had your share...

But enough thread drift, go buy a new set of Michelins! :S

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:B

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use XPS rib Michelin tires due to steel sidewall construction and same tires on most UPS/FEDEX trucks. Needing new tires this year as 5 years has rolled around again and tread life is still excellent. Just have always felt safer with Michelin tires on my vehicles and especially going 60mph in a 28' motorhome. I do air down to 20psi when driving on the beaches of NC and another reason for the steel sidewall construction protection. All 6 tires will cost around $1700+ to install but just another cost of ownership.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi jcsb,

You did not include some critical information for me.
- What chassis model and year?
- What RV brand, model, and year?
- What tire pressure you operate at with consideration to your actual load
- How do you store your rig when not in-use, indoor, outdoor?

Our rig.......
- Less than 24 feet long
- 158" wheel base
- Operating tire pressure 65psi.
- Rig stored in climate control year round
Because our operating load is significantly less than max, and our storage conditions are ideal, we safely extend the use of our tires. I am "pushing" it, ready to buy new tires before our next major trip out west. I am embarrassed to say that the Michelin tires on our 2007 E350 are all the originals. No bulges, no cracks, no flats (no patches), all has been well. They have 40,000 miles on them with decent thread remaining, even-wear on the 4 rears, not so much on the 2 lighter-loaded fronts from failed front shock absorbers.

If you have a max-load very heavy rig running 80psi in any of the tires, I would consider those higher "E" rated tires which handle an additional ~500 pounds per tire. They have a "C" in the code. Some need 90psi to handle the max load, others need only 83psi. The 83psi tires work with the standard 80psi steel rims on E-series. They would surely be worth a looking into.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Toyo Open Country H/T LT225/75R-16 10 Ply E. I have replaced tires on two Winnies now with these and very happy with them, I have found the ride as good or better than Michelin. I also have gone with Borg "Dually Valves" on the rear duals. The tire store I use installs them with the new tires at no additional charge.