cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding 2nd air, converting from 30 amp to 50 amp

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I've currently got a 2013 keystone Laredo 279sre. I really like this camper, I plan to keep it, and getting a new one is not in the cards right now. It is currently a 30amp service.

My problem is, in the summertime in the South, it gets hot. The single 15k air unit will run from 7am-10pm sometimes without stopping. It will only cool too about 82 or so in the heat of the day.

With all of this said, I want to add an air unit up front and convert to 50amp. The converting to 50amp shouldn't be too much of a problem. My dad is an electrician, and a good friend is. Looks like I need a new plug, wire, new power distribution/converter, and new power cord.

The problem is running power from the power distribution to the front air unit. My questions come in with how hard it is to run wires in the ceiling, and who has pulled down ceiling panels and trim and how much is involved with that. Thanks for all the help, -Clayton.
29 REPLIES 29

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
You won't regret either the cost, or the work.

Thanks. Can't wait to take it back out. I feel like it's going to be money well spent.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
You won't regret either the cost, or the work.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome. Nice work
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
My dad and I were able to get it all finished up today. Got everything converted over to the 50 amp panel, and got the interior all put back together. Total, my dad and I have 2 solid days working. I've got about $1650 in everything, including swapping over to 50amp, and the new air. The new air conditioner works great, and turns our bedroom into a meat locker in no time.

Here's a few pics. On the power distribution center, the new one was actually smaller than the old one due to the converter not being made into one. I cut down the grill shroud on the old pdc, and used my plastic welder to put it on the new one. I like how it turned out. Thanks for following along.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
take out the air vent some are pre wired.

A 30 amp unit likely won't be.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Yep, that would be my way of doing it. Make the current 30 amp Panel a Sub Panel of your new 50 amp panel. Keep it simple....
And to me that seems more complicated.
Only difficult part of going to a 50a panel is pulling the 6/3 romex through any blind or inaccessible areas. Of course same difficulty in pulling 12/2 to the vent for the second A/C circuit.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty cool
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Well, today was the day my dad and I started. By the end of the day we got the AC mounted, new 50amp plug, and the AC side of the power distribution center wired. I ended up buying a new converter and pdc. Also, I'm adding a heat strip in the AC unit, and using a wall thermostat. My goal is to get this to look as close to factory as possible.

Getting the AC up, the easy way...

I had to modify the original 30amp mouse hole. I added in the new plug about the only way I could. The hole was to large to just use the 50amp plug. I made a bracket on the back and it seems solid.

Last, is where we stopped for the day. The AC side is wired, got to do the DC side, and put the new converter in. Very glad my dad was an electrical engineer and wired his house. I don't know where to begin with a lot of this.

I'll be back out in a few days. Hopefully we will be able to finish, if not, it may take an additional half day if everything goes ok.

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Bringing this back up, today was the start of my plan. I wanted to make sure I could run wires from the AC unit to the panel, and I really wanted to pull a thermostat wire to be able to use a thermostat and not one with controls on the unit. After pulling some of the camper apart, I was able to drill a few holes and run the wires.

Now to the fun fun part, I get to order parts! All in, in figuring I should have about 1500 in the conversion. I'm planning on going to 50amp and not adding a second plug. I want this to look as factory as possible. Here's a couple pics, this will be a slow process.

Edit: not sure why the picture are showing up huge

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.
Next time use this site to post your pictures. They will automatically be properly sized for use on these forums. See this thread for for instructions.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig came with 30 amp and no second AC prep. Since I may add one at a point in the future as well as some additional circuits now, I updated to a 50 amp service. Had to change distribution panels for both 110 and 12v since the OEM was combined, plus the cord and ends to have the 4 wire needed. Cost was less than $300 and about 7 hours of my time. I’ve got a pretty easy path of getting the wire to the vent in the bedroom if we add the AC. Good luck with yours.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I have a suggestion for your electricians. Instead of R&Ring the current AC distribution panel simply put in a 50amp panel and run a 30 amp circuit to current panel and set another panel for the new air cond. leaving spaces for future add on's.

That is what I did on previous unit. An 8 slot panel (2 for the main). The existing 30 amp panel now becomes a sub panel and some of the existing circuits can be moved from it to extra slots on the new panel to help balance the load.

Surface mount wiring also is ez, Legrande plastic from Lowes can handle romex 12/2 w gnd. I used it to add a 20 amp outlet in the garage of a toyhauler from the existing A/C down to the sidewall for an electric heater. Just cut a small notch in the A/C shroud for the wire chase to exit (or in your case, enter) the A/C.

Biggest cost is the new 50 amp power cord.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
I have a suggestion for your electricians. Instead of R&Ring the current AC distribution panel simply put in a 50amp panel and run a 30 amp circuit to current panel and set another panel for the new air cond. leaving spaces for future add on's.

Yep, that would be my way of doing it. Make the current 30 amp Panel a Sub Panel of your new 50 amp panel. Keep it simple....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)