cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sausage Gravy

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
So now that you have all helped with my biscuit problem, anyone have a good sausage grave recipe or even which canned you like best. We use to get a brand that came in a #10 can that was really good but it was for groups and we don't have room for that much gravy.
Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roux.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I squeeze a lb of Bob Evans Hot Sausage into a skillet, use a spatula to break it all up and brown. I sprinkle in 3-4 tablespoons of flour and stir until makes a nice meaty brown rue. Add whole milk and stir constantly over a med-med/high heat until it bubbles and thickens to your liking. Taste and salt to taste.

You can use whatever sausage you like, it's all personal taste. I also don't mind a few to a dozen shakes of hot sauce if everyone else sharing is tolerable of the heat.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I like knowing I am eating the same food my grandparents did with next to nothing added.

As far as I know any rue with milk added is a gravy of some kind. Season it for the intended use. Biscuits and gravy need pepper I think.

I use three tablespoons of butter and three tablespoons of flour and go from there. Want it dark? Cook it longer before adding the milk.

Now in a pan with sausage grease I would add extra flour to soak up that taste.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
apr67 wrote:
Real gravy is so easy, you will hate yourself when you make it the first time without the can or packet.

I follow this basic recipe https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/best-sausage-gravy however I use more back pepper and I add red pepper. To me, gravy is a way to get pepper into my mouth.

I agree with you. It's a piece of cake. All you need is a little oil or butter, milk and flour. Any other seasoning is your choice. The secret is to add the milk slowly. Pour a little in the pan and let it warm up so it won't lump when you incorporate it. Some I know heat their milk in the microwave but it doesn't take long for that milk to warm in the pan. Slow and steady, Freddy.

Here's your link in clickable form.
Best Sausage Gravy

I use a light olive oil instead of butter for health reasons. I have even used half olive oil and half butter. It's all good.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Real gravy is so easy, you will hate yourself when you make it the first time without the can or packet.

I follow this basic recipe https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/best-sausage-gravy however I use more back pepper and I add red pepper. To me, gravy is a way to get pepper into my mouth.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Believe it or not, I chop a couple tablespoons of onion real fine. Saute them in the sausage fat pretty dark, not burned. Then add the sausage back in the cast iron skillet and sprinkle with flour and mix in till it becomes pretty sticky. Then add milk of your choice. In our family we use unsweetened soy as my son is deathly allergic to dairy products(not lactose intolerant, deathly allergic). I just slowly add milk and stir it in. It will be thin til it absorbs some of the flour and fat mixture to thicken. Then I add more milk to get it to the consistency I'm looking for. I know that most have a 50-50 flour to fat ratio...........I just guess. Salt and pepper to taste
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Evans has the best SG. Can buy large packs at GFS.

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
chef mate is really good-i couldn't think of the name

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe
Agreed. Chef`s Mate is ,I think, even better.
But it comes in a BIG can. It will freeze up good and lasts.
At Costco and Smart and Final. Also @ Winco

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
libbys makes a rtu sausage gravy available at dollar general 12 oz can not as good as homade but darn close

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 got it correct. I also buy it by the case when it on sale at 50. at bimart
add a lettle Tony Chackers Creole seasoning don't get any better.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I Use the peppered gravy mix in the packet, I mix the packet as per instructions
then I crumble up venison sausage in the fry pan, and add the mix, stirring constantly until I get the thickness as needed, pour over crumbled biscuits.
Biscuit can be pre baked at home, then place in the microwave with a small cup of water in the microwave the biscuits come out nice and hot and soft just like coming from the oven.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Oooo, I think I've gained 10 pounds just reading these responses. Thanks so much. I'm going to try your recipes as they all sound wonderful and pretty easy. Thanks again,

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
South Eastern Mills makes a country gravy mix, pepper gravy mix and biscuit gravy mix. Sometimes available at Walmart. Mix some breakfast sausage or bacon in and enjoy.
gravy mixes

I buy it by the case.

That pepper gravy sure is yummy! I use chicken sauage these days instead of pork.

Here is link to publix website which lists it, funny thing, i've never seen it at publix. I get it at Kroger. I prefer patties but they have links too. I've not found it outside of Georgia yet, but i've not looked everywhere.