cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duluth, MN & Apostle Islands, WI Campground Suggestions

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for campground suggestions for Duluth, MN and Apostle Islands, WI. We have a 35 foot motorhome and would like 30 amp hookups. We will be using it as a base camp for exploring the area but would like it to be scenic too possible on the water. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Happy Trails...
7 REPLIES 7

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm looking into these places to use as home base while we explore these 2 areas. Kreher Park in Ashland looks like a great spot! Their website states that they only take reservations for month long stays. The rest are first come. What was your experience with being able to get a spot? We will be there towards the end of July.

Thanks!!!
Happy Trails...

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years ago but, spent several days at Little Sand Bay Campground which was located adjacent to NPS Apostle Islands National Seashore. as we kayaked the area. Great location for kayakers to do the Islands or to the Sea Caves. We were in a 26'Class C motorhome at the time but, see no reason why something larger would be an issue.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Second on Kreher Park in Ashland. You can walk to restaurants and there is a paved path along the water. Excellent place for a base.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at Lamb's Resort, a nice CG near Schroeder, Mn. It's on Lake Superior, but not all sites have a view of Gitche Gumee. Great base camp to explore all of Highway 61, but quite a distance from the Apostle Islands.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited the Apostle Islands, we stayed in the city campground in Washburn and commuted to Bayfield and the islands. We had a back-in site on a loop right on the lakeshore and under big trees. There was no one camped in the sites on either side and the sites behind us were a long distance away. I think we paid $25/night and the campground had a dump and hot showers. However, there weren't a lot of available campsites as many of them were filled with seasonal campers.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We were there over Labor Day last year. I waited too long to make reservations and ended up at Northland RV Park in Superior. Nice owners, but it's an older parks and the sites are tight. I'd pick somewhere else next time.

We didn't make it out to the Apostle Islands, but we did make it over to Two Harbors. When we saw Burlington Bay, we knew where we would be staying next time. What a view!
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Duluth is a pretty good distance from the Apostle Islands. For our visit there we stayed at Kreher Park in Ashland, Wi. It's right on the lake with a few shoreline sites and others that are not waterfront. You might check our blog entry for Ashland if you would like to see some of the pictures.

We then went to Two Harbors, MN (N of Duluth) and stayed at the Burlington Bay Campground in one of the New RV Expansion Sites which are on a tiered hill overlooking the lake - absolutely beautiful and very nice FHU 50 amp sites, either pull in for MH or BI for towables with hookups on both sides of the site. You can also check our blog entry for Two Harbors for pictures of that stop.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams