cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Denali 3500HD Measurements Please--Re: Leveling Kit

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD and realized afterwards the truck had leveling shocks installed--the running board seemed higher than our other 3500 we traded in. We purchased the truck 4 hours from our home. I'm probably going to have the shocks removed and brought back to stock height, but I was wondering if anyone has measurements on how high the front fender should be on a 2017 Denali 3500 without the leveling shocks. I don't think the rear was adjusted but I'll have that looked at also. I don't really want a lifted truck. BTW, the nicest vehicle we have owned yet!

Thanks for any help.

2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest
19 REPLIES 19

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
The quoted price was for the shocks, locks, alignment and labor. No tax. I got my truck back in about 2 hours, and they gave me the shocks and locks they pulled, so I'll offer them up on CL to recoup some money.

Interestedly, the shop said whoever installed them they didn't check the level. Apparently, one side in the front was higher than the other side and the opposite in the rear. The truck drove fine from Portland, OR to SE Washington even in hard rain. It didn't drive like my 2014 GMC 3500 I traded in, until today after I received the truck back. I noticed immediately something different--cornered better and I could see over the hood finally!

I appreciate the conversation and feedback. It's a fun truck for sure with all the Denali goodies.
2023 Host Everest

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol, $750 labor? It's like a couple hour job, especially at a shop with a lift.
Either way, I'd leave it. Looks sweet and you're not really loading the truck down with your TT. If you're using a wdh, it's not going to sag much at all in back anyway.
Nice truck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ksss wrote:
yes shocks have nothing to do with the ride height. It may have a Congnito type leveling kit (system I use) or just had the torsion bars turned up. When the bars go back down you need to realign it.

Ditto.

Shocks don't level it.

Cranked up Torsion Bars or a leveling kit will lift it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
wjlapier wrote:
The guy who quoted me the $750 said he does the leveling for folks all the time. Heck, I never even knew this was something someone would do.

Just got off the phone with the guy at the shop and he said I need to purchase original torsion bar keys and new shocks. Alignment and labor and it all adds up quickly.

If he does this all the time he should have stock keys & shocks that have been taken off other trucks. He should trade the stock ones for yours cheap. If you buy new be sure to get the old parts back, so the installer doesn't resell them.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Yep forgot to mention the headlights. Also the more comprehensive kits (IE expensive) like Cognito mimics the front suspension geometry. That is why you have to use their upper control arm and so forth. The ride is identical to a stock truck. It is an excellent kit. If the leveling kit is only a key or simply cranking up the T bars the geometry is not duplicated and the ride and tire wear attest to that. It pays to do it right if a leveling kit is an interest to you.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
ksss makes a good point; I should clear up what I said earlier.

A leveled truck has more relative sag (relative to its own front end). The absolute sag (inches of rear suspension droop) is the same as factory. The axle weights are essentially the same (vs a factory raked truck) - the geometry change causes a very slight weight shift to the back, but we're talking ounces.

I prefer a non-leveled truck for a work truck, as it retains the factory front suspension geometry. However, it's personal preference. Just make the the headlights are re-aligned.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a gooseneck trailer with mine often and it is always heavy (hence why I use a gooseneck). Because some of the pin weight of the trailer is transferred to the front axle with a gooseneck, the effects of the truck already sitting level is more negated. It is slightly nose high but hardly noticeable.

With the factory rake, the bumper pull trailer results in a level ride when loaded. With a leveling kit the nose will be up higher because the factory rake is removed (by raising the front to make it level with the rear). There is no additional sag with a leveling kit regardless of what style of trailer your using. It may look like that due to the nose up look under load (because the factory rake is removed), but there is no change to the rear springs or the capacity of the suspension as a whole.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
wjlapier wrote:
Thanks for the comments. We really like the truck a lot! I took it to a place that has sold us tires in the past and he quoted ~$750 to replace the shocks and torsion tool thing--I forgot its name, and alignment. The truck had a packet of papers in the center console that was from a Rancho leveling kit, so I'm thinking the previous owner had them installed. The guy who quoted me the $750 said he does the leveling for folks all the time. Heck, I never even knew this was something someone would do.

Just got off the phone with the guy at the shop and he said I need to purchase original torsion bar keys and new shocks. Alignment and labor and it all adds up quickly.

Just curious, does having the truck leveled do anything to the towing setup and experience? Would the trailer ( we now have a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB ) cause the rear of the truck to sag a bit? You know what I mean?

Does the $750 include the shocks? If not, pick up a set of OEMs off Rockauto for cheap:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2018,sierra+3500,6.6l+v8+diesel+turbocharged,3439932,suspens...

The leveling kit removes the factory rake (pitch forward), and you're correct - it'll cause sag under a heavy load. Though on a trailer as light as yours, it won't be noticeable. If you ever upgrade to a 5th wheel though...

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Make sure you get the torsion bar key's and the shocks back from the shop doing the work. You can resell those items to recoup some of the cost putting it back. Lots of guys levelling trucks to put bigger wheel and tires on...

Thanks for that tip.
2023 Host Everest

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have all my OEM components from two '15 and newer GM HD trucks. I like the leveling kit, just looks better and gives me more clearance for larger tires. When I am hooked to a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer it goes nose up a little. When I pulling a heavy bumper pull trailer it goes nose up further. I don't have issue with it but it is subjective. The cognito kit replaces the upper control arm and puts extensions on the front shocks for the increase in travel. I am not sure what Rancho does. If you need the upper control arm and so forth. I would give it to you. I am not sure if I have the OEM keys but if your interested I will look through the box.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Make sure you get the torsion bar key's and the shocks back from the shop doing the work. You can resell those items to recoup some of the cost putting it back. Lots of guys levelling trucks to put bigger wheel and tires on...

wjlapier wrote:
Just curious, does having the truck leveled do anything to the towing setup and experience? Would the trailer ( we now have a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB ) cause the rear of the truck to sag a bit? You know what I mean?

Yes, once you bring the front back to stock which would be 2.5" lower than the rear the trailer should level it out nicely. Your truck should ride a lot better after removing the lift..

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Just measured mine in the driveway--not the levelest spot.

front--42.25
rear--43

I need a step stool to add def.
2023 Host Everest

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. We really like the truck a lot! I took it to a place that has sold us tires in the past and he quoted ~$750 to replace the shocks and torsion tool thing--I forgot its name, and alignment. The truck had a packet of papers in the center console that was from a Rancho leveling kit, so I'm thinking the previous owner had them installed. The guy who quoted me the $750 said he does the leveling for folks all the time. Heck, I never even knew this was something someone would do.

2023 Host Everest