cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double pane insulated vent cover

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new Bigfoot 10.4 has the single pane fantastic vent covers in smoke.

Since the camper is so well insulated thought the 3 vents should match. Inside clearance is minimal so anything hangin down from the ceiling is a no go, a fabric cover might be doable. There is not enough recess within the fan on the inside to hold a piece of foam or styrene insulation.

So are the double pane covers worth the cash? Looks like $50 ea x 3 for me if I go this route.
19 REPLIES 19

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Will you guys quit telling me about things I didn’t know I needed??
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
It really depends on part supplied - some come with hinge and bar for crank arms, some do not. The one linked earlier from camping world lists pre-assembled. These are for Fantastic vents only.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
GULFMAN wrote:
Marcela,

The Dometic Fan-Tastic Vent double vent cover does it come per drilled for the lower rear hinge and the slider bar for raising?

Thanks

Yes, the cover came with the metal piano hinge attached and the half that attaches to the frame had four predrilled screwholes so you simply remove the sealant (just the part over the piano hinge), remove the old lid, attach the new lid, and reseal. The slider bar didn't come with the new lid but the old slider bar easily detaches from the old lid and attaches to the new lid.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
GULFMAN wrote:
Marcela,

The Dometic Fan-Tastic Vent double vent cover does it come per drilled for the lower rear hinge and the slider bar for raising?

Thanks

Don't know haven't ordered one yet but I would imagine so. Maybe somebody else can answer that for you.

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela,

Thanks

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
GULFMAN wrote:

I found no insulation behind the outdoor shower that area would freeze for sure.f
. I hope they do better on the newer ones.

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela,

Double pain in the door would be nice. I have clear in the bottom pane and frosted in the top.

I found no insulation behind the outdoor shower that area would freeze for sure.
I am going to try one of those double vent covers on the roof vent in the bath area first.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
GULFMAN wrote:
Marcela,

Do you have double pain in the back door glass?
I don't on my 2005 9-6 use reflex in the lower glass with the snap on cover

That is a good question for insulation purposes.

I don't have the lower see thru window, the upper window is double pane.

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela,

Do you have double pain in the back door glass?
I don't on my 2005 9-6 use reflex in the lower glass with the snap on cover

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
bb_94401 wrote:
Best use of the double acrylic vent cover is during the spring and fall. Condensation doesn't form on the inside of the cover and it won't drip on you in bed, like the single layer version.

Hadn't thought of that. Worth the money right there.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased two of the smoke double domes for my Fantastic fan vents on my TC from a local RV store after getting the part numbers by calling Fantastic Fan, as the RV dealer didn't know they were available. They come in clear as well as other tints. Worth a call to Fantastic Fan. They were ~$25 each in 2006 if my memory is correct.

Best use of the double acrylic vent dome is during the early spring and late fall. Condensation doesn't form on the inside of the cover and it won't drip on you in bed, unlike the single layer version.

For winter camping condensation is greatly reduced, just depends on the outside temperature and amount of moisture in the TC. We also put a piece of closed cell foam or reflectix to further insulate the opening overnight.

Used both a smaller piece to insert under the knob and a larger piece to cover the flange (since it is an uninsulated gap up to the roof). Held in place using 2" wide 14 day removable masking tape (acts as a vapor barrier). New tape each night.

To make your reflectix pieces last longer, fold a piece of 2" wide clear polyester tape (mylar) over the edges.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
GoinThisAway wrote:
My 10.4 has two Fantastic Fan vents. The way the vents are made there's no recess for installing a foam pillow. So I finally replaced the single pane covers with dual pane covers from RV Upgrades last year. It was an easy install and I figure it has to help retain heat in the winter (heat rises after all), cut down on condensation, and cut down on heating by the sun in the summer.

That is what I was wondering, so I guess you are happy with the install and worth the cash.

If the fan assy was below the top a person could just install a flat piece of clear plastic in the lid but that is not going to work.

Another way would be to replace the inside corner screws with snaps and install a cover with those attachments. And one knob does extend down slightly below the ceiling line.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own all you need is some fabric and velcro.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
My 10.4 has two Fantastic Fan vents. The way the vents are made there's no recess for installing a foam pillow. So I finally replaced the single pane covers with dual pane covers from RV Upgrades last year. It was an easy install and I figure it has to help retain heat in the winter (heat rises after all), cut down on condensation, and cut down on heating by the sun in the summer.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads