cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a new Keystone Cougar! What else do I need?

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
After 12 years of not having a camper, we finally bought another one today! The new trailer is a 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS. It is actually still at the factory being assembled but I still had time to make some changes I wanted like theater seating. I enjoyed my buying experience at Floyd's RV in Goldsby, Oklahoma. They had me put 10% down until the trailer arrives by mid February. My tow vehicle is a 2018 F-150 Lariat Supercrew with the 3.5L Ecoboost motor. The family is my wife and I and our 12 year old daughter. Two small dogs.

The trailer is 6,915 pounds and 810 pounds of tongue weight empty according to the manufacturer website. Ford claims my truck has a 13,200 pound towing capacity but my 1,700 pound payload capacity says otherwise. Still, I didn't take any chances and ordered a ProPride 3P-1400 hitch. Been reading a lot about those and look forward to towing with it.

I'm also going to order the usual stuff. Sewer hose, water pressure regulator, leveling blocks, etc. Are there any revolutionary items that I don't know about? Anything I need to get? Somebody was telling me that I need a voltage regulator. Any recommendations on a good one? I went to Camping World since I live a couple miles from one but they sure seem overpriced on a lot of things.
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch
40 REPLIES 40

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies! Like I said, I've heard all of the advice on my truck. The F-150 is what I have and I love it. I'm confident that it is plenty adequate for what I'm doing. Especially with my hitch setup.

We have been shopping! I bought the Predator 3500 watt inverter generator from Harbor Freight. Got it on sale for $669. I used it with some power tools recently and I'm super impressed with this thing. Just as quiet as the Honda. I also got a 14x50 storage unit. I had a smaller one previously and moved everything into that already and there's plenty of room to spare for my new trailer.

I bought the Progressive Industries 50A surge protector. Their top of the line one. We also ordered a new custom size king mattress on Amazon. 12" thick. I plan to just leave the factory mattress at the dealer. The hitch is here too. It's a fine piece of equipment. I can't wait to hook it up. My wife already bought Camco plates and bowls with little campers and trucks on them. HA! Towels, sheets, pillows, hoses, water pressure regulators, filters, chocks, leveling blocks, etc. It's all here. I just need the camper to get here! We are super excited about it. Hopefully no more than two weeks. We'll be camping every weekend I'm sure.
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
For the mattress...we ordered a standard king (bed in a box) memory mattress with the oh-so-important cool gel on top and used super sharp knife to trim one end. Perfect fit. Measure 3x, then start...wait, measure a 4th time. Then slice.

For GVWR, our yellow tag on the truck reads "Occupants and cargo should not exceed 1533lbs". However, the GVWR is 7,200 and our truck on the certified scale with full tank of gas and a few tools weighed in at 5,120, a difference of 2080, not 1533. Emailed manufacturer with the numbers and they replied that 2080 is correct. Kept that mail, for sure.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have several must have items that are still in their original packaging. If you can buy it at Wal-Mart, you do not have to worry about it now. It is in the next town.

What you need, are what you cannot buy. For example, the tools and ability to change a TT or TV tire.

RVing evolves, if you boondock you will need different stuff than if you stay at full hookups. If you weekend at State Parks, you needs are different than for multi week journeys.

Take your best guess and add what is needed over time.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
You really need an F250.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a water filter and I would recommend one. Some places have well water.

Also a good *dimish* night light. With the shades closed in my TT, it's very dark! LED lights are way to bright to sleep with on. And I often camp with dogs, i want to make sure i don't step on them while making my way to toilet in a mostly sleep state in the wee (pun intended!) hours of the morning.

I've found a popup shelter to be very helpful in keeping table/chairs dry.

I'd also recommend the following:
flash light / headlamp, some sort of "jack" to change flat tire, coax cable, fire tools, axe/hatchet, fire starting items including lighter, storage containers/bagsfor left over food stuffs, napkins, paper towels, cleaning products (dishes, tables, floors), broom & dust pan, trash bags. Basic tools - make sure they "fit" your hardware (sockets, wrenches, etc).

For cooking using dutch oven, i recommend parchment paper liners. For cooking in crockpot, I recommend crock pot liners - both aid to shorten cleanup times.

To change tires, i opted to go with breaker bar and sockets (my spare lug is different size than lugs on TT). Takes up little room and is easier in my opinion to use than 4way and less likely to break/bend (yep, i've bent 4 way before). Plus you have added bonus of having a breaker bar that can fit bolts of any size!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when you get the surge protector, don't get the $99 one, get one $250 and up.
bumpy

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
KC10Chief wrote:
I'm also going to order the usual stuff. Sewer hose, water pressure regulator, leveling blocks, etc. Are there any revolutionary items that I don't know about? Anything I need to get? Somebody was telling me that I need a voltage regulator. Any recommendations on a good one? I went to Camping World since I live a couple miles from one but they sure seem overpriced on a lot of things.

Here's my take on a good list for what you NEED, vs. SHOULD have, vs WANT:
http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/

As for the voltage regulator, most do not opt into something like the Hughes Autoformer which boosts voltage in times that it's low. Instead, they'll opt for a "surge protector" (which should really be an electric monitoring system (EMS)):
http://learntorv.com/what-surge-protector-is-best-for-my-rv/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
At over 9000 pounds and more than 31 feet long your really pushing your luck with a 150.

To the OP read this and understand it. Good advice IMO!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my main plates were the standard microwavable ones. light weight, unbreakable, and can microwave "stuff" on them.
bumpy

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Just a recommendation - go to Goodwill, Salvation Army Thrift store, other salvage store and pick up some nice, but cheap pots and pans, silverware and plates, especially Corelle Ware. You can especially find the plates and bowls, but there may not be a complete set. If it's just the 2 of you, you only need 2 anyway, maybe 4 if you have company for dinner.

We picked up towels, sheets, etc. for next to nothing and they are used ONLY for the camper. We purchased white towels, sheets, blankets, etc. that we can bleach when they get dirty. These are camper only items and it helps us when the season ends and we bring stuff in to clean it before adding it back in the trailer.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

JBledsoe
Explorer
Explorer

I have not seen a Water Pressure regulator recommended. Some of the RV Parks on the West Coast have high water pressure, you will wake up to an overflowing toilet and water all over the floor. Don't ask how I know.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should press the dealer for either a gift certificate to their store or just throw in some of those accessories. I’ve always found them pretty good about a little lagniappe to say thanks for your business. For things like dishes and stuff like that we usually use resale shops and etc.
Camper toy shopping is so much fun!!!!

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I am a big fan of Anderson Levelers Link
They make leveling a trailer extremely easy and precise - even for one person.

X2, I LOVE our levelers. This is a little thing, but if you have crank down jacks get a socket for a cordless drill for easier set up/take down.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
and a good road service plan. I too think the truck is maxed out ,but I,m no expert.poor little six banger gonna work its heart out.

Oh please.....:R It's not 1995 when a "little six banger" had 150 horsepower and could barely pull 5000 pounds. This motor will pull wheel to wheel with any V8 available in a 150/1500 series truck. Watch a few videos, pulling 9000 pounds up a 7% grade at 60 mph is nothing to sneeze at. My 2000 7.3 diesel certainly won't do that.

After the OP sets up his trailer hopefully he will report back with weights and performance. I predict he will be under ratings on axles, although close to maximum GVWR. I think the truck will handle great with the hitch setup he is choosing, and will pull any freeway grade at the speed limit.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3