cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump not working

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2001 Terry 5th wheel and I went to try the water pump, and it’s not working.
Before I bought the unit, I flipped the pump switch on and heard it kick on, but quickly turned it off because it did not have water in the tank.

I brought it home and filled the fresh water and flipped the switch, and now all it does is have a very quiet humming noise but no water pumping out.

Is the water pump done for?
2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4
22 REPLIES 22

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGrand wrote:
It turns out, I had a crack on the strainer on the suction side. I bought a new one off Amazon and replaced it.

Now it works like a champ! Thanks guys.

Thanks for posting the solution, and glad it was a simple fix. Good catch.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGrand wrote:
It turns out, I had a crack on the strainer on the suction side. I bought a new one off Amazon and replaced it.

There you go. Little things like that will get you everytime.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
hum it might be air locked so go to the faucet that is the longest from the pump and open the faucet and if need be place your mouth over the faucet and suck just like you would if siphoning gas through a hose I have had to do this many times or you could go to the pump and tap on the suction head the little valve in side the head might be stuck
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Not the fuse if the pump is "humming".

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check for a selector valve near the pump that may be switched to a winterizing setting?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
So I got home and pulled the strainer screen and it looks like it might have a very small hairline crack in it. I bought a new one on Amazon and will replace it this weekend. Hope this will fix it.
2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Dutchman Sport said. In short, get the system primed then fill the water heater.

If it won't prime there may be a leak on the tank side of the pump & it is sucking air.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
BTW, it will not hurt the water pump to run dry. Maybe if you let it run dry for days, but a few hours won't hurt anything.

Due to my own negligence, I have tested this theory on two occasions. Both times the pump hummed along dry for more than two days.
It sitll works great to this day! (Both times it was only slightly warm)
So it's true, you can't hurt them by running dry!

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, it will not hurt the water pump to run dry. Maybe if you let it run dry for days, but a few hours won't hurt anything.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If prior owner winterized the rig chances are the valve between the water pump and the FW tank is still closed ... worth a look.
Kevin

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
You did not say if you bypassed the water heater. If not, it takes time for it to fill, and pressurize the system. Using city water to fill lines and WH is a good idea, but the pump should do this on it's own, just takes longer.

Jerry

This might be my problem. I will make sure the water heater is full and try again when I get home from work.

I will report back with what happens. Thanks.
2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You did not say if you bypassed the water heater. If not, it takes time for it to fill, and pressurize the system. Using city water to fill lines and WH is a good idea, but the pump should do this on it's own, just takes longer.

Jerry