cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it possible to transfer a RV without a title?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I came across a TT that was for sale without a title. The person who bought it new put it on a deer lease and never sent the title in. He passed away and the estate sold it without a title. I know in my state it is not possible with only a bill of sale.
31 REPLIES 31

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

The DMV has NOTHING to say about a TT that has never been titled.

IF.....it is a type of vehicle that requires a title and registration, that statement is absolutely wrong, unless it is parked on private property and never leaves.

The moment it touches a public highway, it is illegal.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

I imagine the original owner never delt with the paperwork since it was put on location and never moved. Unless a person was going to do the same with the trailer it would not be worth the hassle to try to register.

Ya know, this statement just made me think of something else. Here in FL, Iโ€™ve bought many trailers and RVโ€™s from dealers over the last several years. With only one exception, they wouldnโ€™t let me drive off the lot without them filing the registration paperwork. Is it possible that the same might have happened in this case and then the owner never renewed it? Or also possible that they just donโ€™t know where the title is.
I honestly don't know the person I visited with bought it from the estate. It might be possible to track the info down if the trailer has a sticker from the selling dealer. The state (TX)should be able to tell you the last registered owner info from the vin number, if indeed it was registered.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
Actually, the problem is very much the OPโ€™s. Maybe not their responsibility, but still very much their problem. ...

Only once money changes hands. Until then it is the Executor of the Estate's issue to deal with. They need to present clear title.

colliehauler wrote:
...He passed away and the estate sold it without a title....

Uh-oh. Sounds like the money already changed hands. I hope whoever took the money was legally allowed to sell the asset and act on behalf of the estate.

B.O. Plenty wrote:
There is usually only three reasons a trailer has no title.
Lost
Trailer was stolen
Trailer has a lien against it

You missed one.... The long-lost relative who shows up after the funeral with a claim on the inheritance, and the title in hand.

My thoughts... If this was bought on a smoking deal from the estate, then this is worth the hassle. I am not sure I would pay full market value without the title.

Good luck!
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

I imagine the original owner never delt with the paperwork since it was put on location and never moved. Unless a person was going to do the same with the trailer it would not be worth the hassle to try to register.

Ya know, this statement just made me think of something else. Here in FL, Iโ€™ve bought many trailers and RVโ€™s from dealers over the last several years. With only one exception, they wouldnโ€™t let me drive off the lot without them filing the registration paperwork. Is it possible that the same might have happened in this case and then the owner never renewed it? Or also possible that they just donโ€™t know where the title is.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Weโ€™re getting silly here.

The DMV has NOTHING to say about a TT that has never been titled. Itโ€™s not yet a โ€œvehicleโ€ they have any authority over. Itโ€™s merely a personal possession no different than a garden shed.

If the original owner still has the MSO itโ€™s no big deal, take the bill of sale and the MSO to the DMV and process it for what it IS, a brand new never licensed or title vehicle.

The problem here is that there is no MSO available either, and the OP wants to know if he can get a title.

I agree that the discussion has veered from "can I get a title" to "can it be sold."

I, too, am of the opinion that the only definitive answer is the one his DMV, or county clerk, can provide. In my state it is the county clerk who issues tags and collects any sales tax, then the state mails you the title. The DMV has nothing to do with the process.

Speaking of sales tax. Even if the sales tax was paid when it was bought new, on resale, sales tax is due again. Even if the OP won't owe the original sales tax, he will owe sales tax on this transaction, if it was not already collected. (Remember, that when you buy something online from out of state, sales tax is actually owed. You are SUPPOSED to notify the state and submit the tax, although no one ever does.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, lot of assumptions. It was simply a mater of curiosity on my part on what it would take to register such a trailer. Those who thought the trailer was stolen a simple run of the vin would give a answer to that. In my state taxes would have to to be paid regradless if new or used. Thanks for the answers.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
ScottG wrote:

So the problem is NOT the OP's, it's the sellers and if the exec. doesn't go through the proper channels, they are viloating the law.

Actually, the problem is very much the OPโ€™s. Maybe not their responsibility, but still very much their problem. Iโ€™m not sure how the sellerโ€™s are breaking the law unless theyโ€™re acting fraudently, which selling an untitled object isnโ€™t. Now trying to forge a title or registration or claiming it to be โ€œhomemadeโ€, that would be illegal.

If you read my post, it answeres your question.
Again, the executor of the estate has to get approval from the DMV to sell the vehicle. That's the legal part. The executor is a fiduciary (agent of the court) and failing to act within the legal requirements is more important than anything the OP does. The executor is finanacially and more important, criminally responsible. Selling the trailer, titled or not, outside the legalities of probate is a criminal offense.

Weโ€™re getting silly here.

The DMV has NOTHING to say about a TT that has never been titled. Itโ€™s not yet a โ€œvehicleโ€ they have any authority over. Itโ€™s merely a personal possession no different than a garden shed.

If the original owner still has the MSO itโ€™s no big deal, take the bill of sale and the MSO to the DMV and process it for what it IS, a brand new never licensed or title vehicle.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is usually only three reasons a trailer has no title.
Lost
Trailer was stolen
Trailer has a lien against it
None of these would make me want to buy it.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
WTP-GC wrote:
ScottG wrote:

So the problem is NOT the OP's, it's the sellers and if the exec. doesn't go through the proper channels, they are viloating the law.

Actually, the problem is very much the OPโ€™s. Maybe not their responsibility, but still very much their problem. Iโ€™m not sure how the sellerโ€™s are breaking the law unless theyโ€™re acting fraudently, which selling an untitled object isnโ€™t. Now trying to forge a title or registration or claiming it to be โ€œhomemadeโ€, that would be illegal.

If you read my post, it answeres your question.
Again, the executor of the estate has to get approval from the DMV to sell the vehicle. That's the legal part. The executor is a fiduciary (agent of the court) and failing to act within the legal requirements is more important than anything the OP does. The executor is finanacially and more important, criminally responsible. Selling the trailer, titled or not, outside the legalities of probate is a criminal offense.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

SBGTF

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since this is from an estate, the executor of the estate will have to go to the DMV and use his/her Letters Testimentary to get a special document (forget what it's called) that authorizes them to sell the "vehicle". So all the jumping through hoops will have to be done by the executor, NOT the buyer.
Once the executor has the DMV's authorizing document, the buyers part of the transaction will be normal.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
One answer and one answer only...
CALL THE DMV

or ask an internet forum...that usually works ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know a guy who's sitting in jail right now because he bought a boat without a title and turns out it was stolen. The guy doesn't have a pot to pee in to start with and does have some other things on his record which didn't help. But if you believe the story (and from what I know, I do believe it), he did pay someone for a boat like a normal transaction and then notified the authorities when someone else told him it was stolen. Should have never bought a nice boat without a title, but some people don't always use good judgement.

I'm not saying the OP is going to jail because of buying an untitled trailer, but the above story should be worth consideration.
SBGTF

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
The deceased persons estate is going to have to talk to the DMV, just to make sure everything is up and up and avoid any issues down the road before any money is transfered.

https://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/tr82.pdf

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
:h