cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a fifth wheel that has sat most of its life

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I bought a 2001 Terry EXL 305G from the original owner that has used it to live in seasonally. I inspected everything and its really clean and maintained.

It literally was bought in 2000 and towed to his land and sat there for about 16 years, then he put new tires on it and moved it to his new house in 2016 and has sat since I bought it and towed it home.

What is everything I need to look at since it has extremely low towing miles on it?

Thanks
2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4
13 REPLIES 13

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of opinions on tires, especially on these forums. Towmax is a name you often hear, some like them, some call them blowmax. I have no experience with them. If you want my opinion, I'd run them for the couple short trips, look them over closely, before the May trip. If piece of mind is more important than $$$, I'd just replace asap with Provider STs, or GoodYear Endurance, which are designed to run cooler, stay together at higher speeds, like when towing 70 mph, with a nice new Ram.

Hope you enjoy your new to you rig!

Jerry

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGrand wrote:
MFL wrote:
The outer face of the tread is not as important as the condition of the tire between the tread. However, a tire sitting on the ground for 2-3 years, without moving, can be an issue. Tire quality can also make a difference, as there are many cheap trailer tires, that don't last long, even when they are used on a regular basis. I'd watch them closely, if just using for shorter trips. If heading out on a cross country trip, I would consider replacement.

Jerry

I plan on doing two very short trips (around 60 miles round trip) in the next 1-2 months and then a 260 mile (round trip) in May. Would you trust these tires to do the job? They are ST235/85R16 Towmax STR's.

You could install a TPMS.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
The outer face of the tread is not as important as the condition of the tire between the tread. However, a tire sitting on the ground for 2-3 years, without moving, can be an issue. Tire quality can also make a difference, as there are many cheap trailer tires, that don't last long, even when they are used on a regular basis. I'd watch them closely, if just using for shorter trips. If heading out on a cross country trip, I would consider replacement.

Jerry

I plan on doing two very short trips (around 60 miles round trip) in the next 1-2 months and then a 260 mile (round trip) in May. Would you trust these tires to do the job? They are ST235/85R16 Towmax STR's.
2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
kinda of late but look for water damage in the front cap...make sure caulking is good.
other than that, tires, bearings and axle.

check hitch to see that it is welded together.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

MetalGrand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

He redid the roof in 2016 and it looks in great shape for being in the AZ sun.

I plan on repacking the bearings this weekend, any tips for that?

Also, I did notice that he had the tires sitting on gravel, and now the side that was on the ground look like this, is that okay?

2001 Terry EXL 305G
2018 RAM 2500 6.4l 4x4

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Check the roof and caulking.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dreaded mound in the holding tank from lack of movement. Well...the right kind of movement after the movement.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since he just put new tires on it, I would repack the bearings making sure to watch for any rust or pitting and make sure the brakes move easily. Other than that, you're good to go.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd look at the suspension too, see if it has wet bolts or shocks.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tires also if they,ve been in the sun. sounds like a great rv, just needs gone over. good find.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspect for leaks and water damage. Brown streaks are a giveaway..
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel bearings and seals along with brakes.